RR v. LR differences?

Jwestpro

Explorer
I'm not sure about the LR3, but my research indicated 32" could fit on a 2" lifted LR4/L322,

I like hearing you sensibly stick with the D2 for now. However, I don't like seeing posted " 2" lifted LR3/4 L322 " because to picky about it, there is no such thing. None of the aftermarket stuff results in a higher maximum height. Therefor it is not a "lift". Whether it's rods or electronic interface, none of them gain height not already available in the factory system. They only make it easier to get to that height.

So, what are new things you chose to do on the Discovery II now that you're sticking with it for now? ;)

Ray_G

Explorer
Once you start accounting for the cost of carrying air-springs as spares, the modern rover's become a bit pricey and you start to contemplate a 4-Runner. Current conversion kits are for stock-ride height only, so a conversion won't get you 32" tires either.

This is not accurate information.

Current conversion kits include the OME HD kit: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/L319SRK-OME
That gives you ~2", aka its stance is offroad height. I could easily run 32.5's if I wanted.
IMG_0819.jpg

Those facts aside, in my opinion the EAS on the 3/4 as a 'weak' link is still more robust than the propensity for Dii's to overheat (i.e. head gasket issues). That's just an opinion though. Not to mention I don't know that I think taking all four air springs as trail spares is necessary, in following those that wheel their EAS trucks hard that doesn't seem to be where possible failures really come from. Much more practical to have the ability to repair air lines or re-fill the system if the stock compressor fails. More often than that you may just need to know what fuses to pull to trick the EAS into remaining inflated; and that costs $.00.
r-
Ray

jhawk

Adventurer
This is not accurate information.

Current conversion kits include the OME HD kit: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/L319SRK-OME
That gives you ~2", aka its stance is offroad height. I could easily run 32.5's if I wanted.
View attachment 297504

Those facts aside, in my opinion the EAS on the 3/4 as a 'weak' link is still more robust than the propensity for Dii's to overheat (i.e. head gasket issues). That's just an opinion though. Not to mention I don't know that I think taking all four air springs as trail spares is necessary, in following those that wheel their EAS trucks hard that doesn't seem to be where possible failures really come from. Much more practical to have the ability to repair air lines or re-fill the system if the stock compressor fails. More often than that you may just need to know what fuses to pull to trick the EAS into remaining inflated; and that costs $.00.
r-
Ray

I've been running the 2in coil swap for over a year, and do not regret the switch for a second. With this set up I ran 265/70/18 Coppers and now 275/65/18 KO2's.

I'm out west, and had to drive 20 plus miles out of the sticks on the bump stops a couple of times. Every trial fix for the EAS assumes the air springs have not failed, after my second air spring failed I went to coils. The LR3 is an awesome truck, but the weak link is the air suspension.

Jim

LandCruiserX

Observer
I've been running the 2in coil swap for over a year, and do not regret the switch for a second. With this set up I ran 265/70/18 Coppers and now 275/65/18 KO2's.

I'm out west, and had to drive 20 plus miles out of the sticks on the bump stops a couple of times. Every trial fix for the EAS assumes the air springs have not failed, after my second air spring failed I went to coils. The LR3 is an awesome truck, but the weak link is the air suspension.

Jim

See, this does worry me a bit. Not necessarily that I am going to be wheeling it hard all the time, but when I am out on the trails or even out camping in the sticks for a weekend... I dont like having to worry about stuff like that.

The Cruiser got me in, and out of literally any place I could dream up... without fail. The big weak link was having virtually zero creature comforts, and it was awful to drive anything over 60 miles straight....

I guess at this point I just jump to an LR3/LR4 and cross my fingers

Ray_G

Explorer

Jim

Jim-
Can't argue with your first hand experience. Perhaps it is better to acknowledge if someone's long term intent is to be far from the pavement for protracted periods the coil swap has merit...not that you and I need to be sold on that! :)

For LandCruiserX, I wouldn't let it worry you too much. The 3/4 platform is being used, hard, by many and I'd say on an increasing basis as their price point goes down. The fixes for known problems are well documented. If you do truly fear the possibility of the EAS leaving you stranded on 32's a long way from somewhere and your intended application of the truck makes sense, switch to coils when the opportunity is right. That's why I decided to do it instead of throwing $ at a replacement compressor, I knew down the road there would be more components wearing down as she hit 100k and quite frankly I don't care about the EAS-I want to be able to drive this truck to Alaska when I get home and not fret that the thing will ride like a conastoga wagon for miles if something I can't fix in the EAS is down. Coils are certainly not right for everyone, and the average user may find it easier/cheaper/more logical to retain EAS; but I can't say I regret my decision to leave it behind given my circumstances and intentions.
r-
Ray

Jwestpro

Explorer
See, this does worry me a bit. Not necessarily that I am going to be wheeling it hard all the time, but when I am out on the trails or even out camping in the sticks for a weekend... I dont like having to worry about stuff like that.

The Cruiser got me in, and out of literally any place I could dream up... without fail. The big weak link was having virtually zero creature comforts, and it was awful to drive anything over 60 miles straight....

I guess at this point I just jump to an LR3/LR4 and cross my fingers

I keep forgetting you were using an 80 LC, not a jeep, sorry about that.

However, if you have trouble driving the 80 for more than 60 miles....then maybe the problem is you and not the vehicle ;)

mpinco

Expedition Leader
1-"trimming of shields" ? There's only one "shield" in the spare area and it unbolts easily in a few minutes. Did you do a custom cut of only what was making contact? You should post a photo of that!

2-tire-hitch fit? Really? Within the first month in 2007 upon purchase, I installed the Kaymar but before that I did have a larger tire on and the hitch...however, it was the 1st generation which has a longer vertical length so maybe that allowed the tire to fit just a bit more than what you tried.

Sorry, no pics. Cut the forward section out and left the 2 side sections in tack, remounting them. Provided more room for diameter of tire.

Even then the LR4 with a 31.5" diameter spare and the new style LR040248G which extends too far forward and into the tire.

LandCruiserX

Observer
I keep forgetting you were using an 80 LC, not a jeep, sorry about that.

However, if you have trouble driving the 80 for more than 60 miles....then maybe the problem is you and not the vehicle ;)

Hahaha touche my friend, I was on OME heavies with 35s though, and that old motor trying to pull that through the hills loaded down + bumper, winch, gear, etc was not exactlyrelaxing... to say the least!

Really leaning more towards finding an LR3 with 70-80k on it under $15,000 and just doing what needs to be done as the issues arise.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Hahaha touche my friend, I was on OME heavies with 35s though, and that old motor trying to pull that through the hills loaded down + bumper, winch, gear, etc was not exactlyrelaxing... to say the least!

Really leaning more towards finding an LR3 with 70-80k on it under $15,000 and just doing what needs to be done as the issues arise.

Sounds like the best plan financially. Most people want to buy as new as they can "afford", however the math usually does not support spending $30,000 - $40,000 EXTRA on something a lot newer under warranty like a 2012-2013 LR4. For example, if you buy a 2007 or 08 lr3, it's unlikely you'll spend anywhere near that amount of $ over the first several years. So, if a person has a budget, even on payments, of $50,000, then they could buy an lr3 + any number of useful things like an offroad or RV trailer, 2nd car for commuting, down payment on a house, etc.

It's sort of cool that I bought my 07 new but in hind sight I could have done without the new cost and lived with something else until these were selling for 1/2 the msrp price. I am quite sure there's some drug in the "new car smell" that makes people buy them ;)

Mine might be for sale soon as my needs have changed but it will be a tough departure with all the things perfected over time and $30,000 invested in aftermarket. Only that special buyer is going to appreciate and utilize the 3 sets of 18" wheels and tires and original 19's!

LandCruiserX

Observer
Found an 07 LR3 in the Color I wanted with 82k on the clock, going to be going to pick it up later this month. Think I did pretty good, and this was the best choice for what my uses are going to be. Now to begin the build planning.... muahaha

Jwestpro

Explorer
Found an 07 LR3 in the Color I wanted with 82k on the clock, going to be going to pick it up later this month. Think I did pretty good, and this was the best choice for what my uses are going to be. Now to begin the build planning.... muahaha

...and, what color combo the green and beige ? I had that in an 06 but now have the java black /beige 07. I mainly like the black blending into the black windows and plastic parts. The green was nice too though. My 2004 is my favorite though, Aspen interior....mmmmmm.... love it so much.

LandCruiserX

Observer
Correct Jwest, green with the beige interior. It just says "Land Rover" to me, always has. Dont know if I could ever get one in a different color and feel right about it. Haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior