RR v. LR differences?

LandCruiserX

Observer
As per my other thread, I am currently in the market for an SUV, primarily a Land Rover LR3. However, I am seeing a LOT more Range Rovers for sale, at least here locally. Most 2006-2010... my question is basically what are the differences in capabilities, and why do you not see more new Range Rovers off road? Outside of the obvious price difference and stigma....

Is there just no aftermarket support for them? Are parts like bumpers, etc not interchangable?

Thanks in advance ... LCX

bentonrover

Observer
Not sure what you are looking for. Actually Range Rover is a brand of Land Rover in a whole. The range is the flagship I guess of the company so it's thousands of dollars more. Do some youtube searches and see the Range Rovers on the trails being battered and beaten like the others. I love my LR3. Best of both worlds for less. Good luck with your search

LandCruiserX

Observer
Sorry, I guess I should clarify. You see lots of Land Rovers on overland expeditions, modded, etc. Not so much with RRs. Do they have the same capabilities off road, with the exception of cosmetic differences? What is the primary reason they dont get wheeled as much?

I think a lifted RR with all the goodies would be ************, you just dont really see it.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Sorry, I guess I should clarify. You see lots of Land Rovers on overland expeditions, modded, etc. Not so much with RRs. Do they have the same capabilities off road, with the exception of cosmetic differences? What is the primary reason they dont get wheeled as much?

I think a lifted RR with all the goodies would be ************, you just dont really see it.

I suspect the primary difference is initial RR cost, which is much higher. That places the RR into a class of owners who rarely take a vehicle off road. That then reduces the after-market accessories.

In general, and historically, new Land Rover features/capabilities are introduced with the Range Rover ($$$) and then trickle down over time into the Land Rover ($$) vehicles. That way Land Rover can realize higher revenue per feature early on and then as volume rises, cost come down to support Land Rover pricing targets. I would say comparing same year to same year, a RR might have better off road capabilities. I say 'might' because it depends on the timing of the technology as it moves through the product line.

LandCruiserX

Observer
I suspect the primary difference is initial RR cost, which is much higher. That places the RR into a class of owners who rarely take a vehicle off road. That then reduces the after-market accessories.

In general, and historically, new Land Rover features/capabilities are introduced with the Range Rover ($$$) and then trickle down over time into the Land Rover ($$) vehicles. That way Land Rover can realize higher revenue per feature early on and then as volume rises, cost come down to support Land Rover pricing targets. I would say comparing same year to same year, a RR might have better off road capabilities. I say 'might' because it depends on the timing of the technology as it moves through the product line.

Great response, much appreciated. As far as aftermarket support, is there much out there in the way of goodies for say an 08-10 RR? Lift, bumpers, racks, etc?

Also, would say, an OME lift for a LR work on a RR, or are the suspension setups and geometry entirely different?

dsm02c

Adventurer
I can't comment on the aftermarket, you can use the standard lift rods for the EAS but past that it does not seem like there is much support. Coming from a cruiser your world is going to get a lot smaller in terms of who makes things for the LR3/RR, there is no Slee equivalent for Land Rover (in the states, that I know of).

KyleT

Explorer
06, 07-09, 10-13 range rovers are similar but have differences.

I would say that the l322 (2003-2013 body style) is more capable stock for stock than a lr3.

Ray_G

Explorer
Kyle is spot on from what I've seen, the L322 is likely more capable in stock form-by a smidge-than the LR3 straight off the lot. Change the tires of one and that may result in that changing rapidly.

There are a lot of L322's on the market, illustrative of how well Land Rover is doing selling the RR & RRS (and now Evoke) to a market that wants the looks/prestige of the RR line. To that point as much as this subforum revels in the Defender in particular the reality is LR is killing it right now b/c of the RRS & RR....but I digress.

If you start looking at L322 RR's I would stay away from the 03-05 model years. (the preceding models were the much revered Range Rover Classic (RRC)(made till 1995, the original luxury SUV, and the P38 which is the bridge between the RRC and the L322's debut just so you can dive into the nuance of rover verbiage).

I have a friend who has a lightly modified 06 (if I got the MY correct), by that I mean he was able to put on terra grapplers on the 20" rims-and they do look damn good-and has recently sourced the incredibly hard to find winch mount. Aftermarket support for offroad stuff is very limited, OE add-ons were mostly what you'd see for the G4 spec trucks and usually rare and $$$ when found.

The beauty of the Discovery 3/4 (LR3/4) is increasingly you are getting the utility that comes inherent with the Disco with much of the luxury of the RR, especially when you find HSE and LUX models. What you don't get, however, is the aesthetics of the RR.

All of this is a long way of getting to the core question: what's the purpose/intended use for your SUV?
r-
Ray

dsliver

IMG_7418.jpg
Range Rovers are just as capable as a LR3. Seem to have better ground clearance. Almost no aftermarket support. There is a Safety Devices-Land Rover roof rack, lift rods or iiD software lift. No rock sliders or bumpers are commercially available. They would need to be fabricated. I imported 18" wheels from the UK and fitted 275-65-18 Cooper AT-3.
Looked at both before purchasing a 2007 Range Rover. The quality of the interior won me over initially. A friend bought a LR3 about the same time. He has had many small and not so small problems due to poor design or materials. I believe the RR is better designed vehicle and also easier to work on. Transmission service on a LR3 is a nightmare. Exhaust has to be removed, engine raised ect. It is a 30 minute job on a RR.

LandCruiserX

Observer
Ray, and everyone else, excellent responses... I guess thats what sets this place apart from other forums.

The root of the question, going back to my intended use is this:

Going to get driven 3x a week, out to dinner, run an errand... whatever. Winter (moving to Chi in a month) needs to be able to go anywhere, anytime. Will see a weekend of light trail use once every other month or so. Will be my primary bug out, **** just got real vehicle, and I need it to be equipped accordingly.

From the sound of it, going with an LR3, if for nothing more than aftermarket support certainly seems like the wise choice. Especially coming from a lifted 80 series Cruiser on 35s, with all the usuals. I dont want to be monitoring Ebay daily looking for winch mounts and racks.

Ray_G

Explorer
The root of the question, going back to my intended use is this:

Going to get driven 3x a week, out to dinner, run an errand... whatever. Winter (moving to Chi in a month) needs to be able to go anywhere, anytime. Will see a weekend of light trail use once every other month or so. Will be my primary bug out, **** just got real vehicle, and I need it to be equipped accordingly.

From the sound of it, going with an LR3, if for nothing more than aftermarket support certainly seems like the wise choice. Especially coming from a lifted 80 series Cruiser on 35s, with all the usuals. I dont want to be monitoring Ebay daily looking for winch mounts and racks.

Based off that, either could do the job and I think you'd be satisfied. I'm biased as you know but yes, I agree with you, I think an LR3 would be the easier to endstate to achieve once you find the right candidate. You can get near RR like luxury from it for that 3x a week running around, excellent winter performance, etc. Personal opinion is the LR3's interor is conducive to a modular load out for camping or getting the F out of town. Not that a RR isn't too but the LR3 is rather utilitarian in that aspect.

Once acquired it is a fairly straightforward formula to do the normal stuff:

-IID tool for troubleshooting
-Maintenance (depending on mileage) to offset the consumables and the EAS
-Eventual transmission service, while a PITA realistically how many times will you need to do this given your intended purpose? Perhaps once?

When you decide to modify it is a simple matter to add a winch via either the normal ARB, a hidden mount, or one of the other more boutique bumpers (TR, custom build like mine, etc).
Racks are abundent in terms of choices
18" wheels gives you decent tire choices
etc...

Clearly I need to get back on the road, I'm rambling on the forum too much!
r-
Ray

LandCruiserX

Observer
Clearly I need to get back on the road, I'm rambling on the forum too much!
r-
Ray

No no, please dont! You are doing just fine here helping the newbies like myself that dont know up from down and right from left!

No doubt about it, the RR looks better in factory form, and the interiors are incredible. But again, I am coming from a 96 FJ that had the creature comforts of a bulldozer. Certainly wish the RR had a bit more aftermarket support, but then again if I could snap my fingers and make something like that happen I would be buying a Touareg TDI and never looking back.

Ray_G

Explorer
No no, please dont! You are doing just fine here helping the newbies like myself that dont know up from down and right from left!

No doubt about it, the RR looks better in factory form, and the interiors are incredible. But again, I am coming from a 96 FJ that had the creature comforts of a bulldozer. Certainly wish the RR had a bit more aftermarket support, but then again if I could snap my fingers and make something like that happen I would be buying a Touareg TDI and never looking back.

I hear you, my 06 LR3 was my promotion gift to myself after a long time DD'ing my 96 D1; no matter what it is light years ahead of what I am used to. If I could snap my fingers the only thing I think I'd do is have the diesel model LR3 vice petrol, but alas the North American auto manufacturers conspire against that whole diesel thing.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I suspect the primary difference is initial RR cost, which is much higher. That places the RR into a class of owners who rarely take a vehicle off road. .

This is basically true but in 2007 I sold my practically new Supercharged full size Range Rover and bought an LR3 simply because of it's vastly superior practical design and shape. There is no comparison really when it comes to the interior volume and its usability. The LR3 is so much better in this aspect equal to how much more awesome the SC RR is in its engine and wonderful ventilated seats and trim. However, when you need to haul things that take up space, the LR3/4 simply win by a wide margin.

For example, today I was able to haul the following inside my LR3:

1 boxed Panasonic 50" Plasma TV standing upright on starboard side
2 mountain bikes upright with seats and front wheel off (also inside)
2 accompanying mtb "gear" bags
2 40L day packs
1 tool case
1 40L ARB fridge set to standard refrigerator temp (set into the removed 2nd row center seat slot)
1 37L ARB fridge set to below freezing (set into the 2nd row port side removed seat slot - both running off supplementary 12v sockets powered by the 2nd battery, an Odyssey 2150 in the engine bay on the port side)
2 50L clothing duffel bags
1 REI 3 person tent, 2 24" wide closed cell foam pads, 2 3.5" 24" wide REI camprest deluxe air/foam pads - love those! ;)
1 medium size camera bag
1 running hydration pack
1 gallon water
Nordic travel waxing kit case (22"x18"x8")
1 crate of fresh organic peaches from eastern Washington ;)

In a ceiling system:

2 20" backpacking camp pads
1 fleece jacket
2 standard size bath towels

Below cargo floor level also with 3rd row seats removed:
2 "Chok-Tracs" behind passenger seat
full recovery gear kit where 3rd row feet would sit
48" high lift bar and high lift extreme lever, base plate, wheel lifter, misc between wheel well humps and 2nd row/3rd row "trough"
2 low profile camp chairs
2 aluminum low profile tables
1 large tarp
1 Bushranger X-Jack (Air bag type lifter)

I think that's pretty much it.... front seats fully moveable to 100% back and 45 degree recline if desired.

This is with one of the 2nd row seats still intact but the space saved by removing the port side 2nd row seat was not utilized in that it would have still fit under what was placed there.

A Range Rover with all the seats removed still wouldn't come close to this cargo potential. This was not even a maximum haul.

Jwestpro

Explorer
..... if I could snap my fingers and make something like that happen I would be buying a Touareg TDI and never looking back.

Ok, what are you talking about? A VW Touareg instead of something practical? The Touareg has about as much interior space as a very small wagon. In fact, not quite as much as a Jetta Sportwagen.... I had an 08 Toaureg. Very neat vehicle, but more space in my 08 BMW 535 wagon and at least 2-3 x the volume in the lr3. Also, the VW is not a "drive into the sunset never worrying again about repairs" sort of vehicle.

This post makes it sound like you just want or need a cool vehicle. There are lots of those out there. Just pick something and have fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94