Satellite Internet and phone

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I am setting up a 24' Airstream trailer as a support vehicle for multiple purposes. I want to have a mobile office capability built-in. Since I spend a couple months a year in off-grid, uncivilized places (no 802.11 or cell service) I would like a permanent sat phone aerial for my existing Qualcom sat phone, and some decent bandwidth for working with our web-hosted order and accounting system, and for e-mail with customers.

So I need some education in the area of combined sat phone / Internet connection products, power requirements, and recommendations from people who are using similar gear.

All input appreciated.

Mike S

LAW

Adventurer
most of the time you can get away with a hughesnet dish and some kind of voip
phone can be had for around 1200$ and less than 200$ a month

if you are really serious about a mobile office the auto dish can set you back 17,000$ or a significantly cheaper stationary dish with incredible bandwidth 4MB down and 1.5MB up and the service starts at about 150
http://www.skycasters.com/broadband-satellite-compare/compare.html

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Thanks. I have a sat phone - hand held - so I have to go outside to use it.

The VOIP phone is obvious - I could just move my Vonage box into the trailer once I get a sat Internet hook up. I will explore the Skycaster site.

M

spressomon

Expedition Leader
LAW said:
most of the time you can get away with a hughesnet dish and some kind of voip
phone can be had for around 1200$ and less than 200$ a month

if you are really serious about a mobile office the auto dish can set you back 17,000$ or a significantly cheaper stationary dish with incredible bandwidth 4MB down and 1.5MB up and the service starts at about 150
http://www.skycasters.com/broadband-satellite-compare/compare.html

Wow...1.0-1.5 meter dish?

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
BGAN........... Using INMARSAT, will let you have comms anywhere in the world for computer and telephone usage. Check out Hughes and Thrane & Thrane....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles