5 Months - 20,000 miles - An Adventure West - The Pancho and Lefty Expedition

Very envious of your ability to spend time in each area. I've been to many of the same locations, but with no time to really get out and hike, or camp long enough to absorb the essence (for lack of a better term).

Most of the trips I have taken in my life have been the same way. I have 1 maybe 2 weeks I can take off from work, which when you consider the driving time to anywhere from Texas left me very little time to explore.

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Looks awesome! Is that Island Lake, on your way to Titcomb Basin? Looks familiar for some reason, but it has been a couple years since I've been there:

Enjoying the thread though!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Awesome life you are living! What did you use to plan your route? Did you have everything pre planned or kinda wing it?

Looks awesome! Is that Island Lake, on your way to Titcomb Basin? Looks familiar for some reason, but it has been a couple years since I've been there:

Enjoying the thread though!

It is island Lake. I actually liked the scenery there better than Titcomb, glad I got to see both though.

View at Titcomb.

IMG_20150623_094021.jpg

Pano of that same area at Island Lake.

PANO_20150622_203739.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome life you are living! What did you use to plan your route? Did you have everything pre planned or kinda wing it?

A little of both. I relied heavily on the Benchmark atlases to find interesting routes. I make digital maps for a living but with cell signal non existent and GPS data not that great paper maps were still the way to go for me. I had a couple of events and times that I was meeting up with friends at various parts of the country and those dates formed the structure of the trip and I just kinda improvised the rest.

Not much new to report, I am in the process of trying to find a job somewhere in the West, but preferably the Denver area and that is taking up most of my time.

I did however get my phone fixed that I broke on the Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier, I still missed getting pictures from half the trail, but I am glad I could recover what I did.

For those who don't know the Wonderland trail is a 93 mile trail that completely circumnavigates Mt. Ranier. The quality and diversity of landscapes is pretty amazing, several types of rain forest, glaciers, high alpine, meadows, lakes, ridges and river crossings.

IMG_20150714_091232.jpg

IMG_20150730_155113.jpg

IMG_20150730_154859.jpg

IMG_20150730_155302.jpg

IMG_20150714_190257.jpg

IMG_20150714_145956.jpg

IMG_20150714_115854.jpg

AaronK

Explorer
Is that suspension bridge over the carbon river? Looks like it based on the amount of washout.
One of these years I'd like to do wonderland

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Is that suspension bridge over the carbon river? Looks like it based on the amount of washout.
One of these years I'd like to do wonderland

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Thats actually the Tahoma Creek Bridge, which looks really similar to the Carbon River bridge. The trail crosses the Carbon twice, and when I was there the first crossing is washed out, so the trial is rerouted to the Northern Loop trail, and reconnects to the Wonderland at the suspension bridge crossing (if that makes sense) Here is the Carbon Bridge.

IMG_20150714_144554.jpg

GregSplett

Adventurer
Dude your for picture taking is absolutely amazing.The depth you find is spectacular.I feel like hiking right into some of them to see whats at the other end.thanks so much for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles