Surfboards inside the van?

BSK

Looking around for some ideas on storing boards inside the van. I have searched around a bit but haven't found too many posts on board storage. I have racks which work but on daily surfs I usually just throw my boards in the back, on top of my bed platform. It would be nice to hang them or maybe attach them to one of the walls. Any creative ideas out there? Thanks!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'd use a pair of seatbelts (maybe even for each board) attached to the wall. Spaced where convenient, about 3' or so apart. Clip the buckles together and then synch them tight. They'll be safely stored... add some foam to the wall to protect the wall/boards if it's a benefit.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I'd use a pair of seatbelts (maybe even for each board) attached to the wall. Spaced where convenient, about 3' or so apart. Clip the buckles together and then synch them tight. They'll be safely stored... add some foam to the wall to protect the wall/boards if it's a benefit.

Yeah, I used to transport 2 boards in the roof of my Ford Falcon panelvan. Sorry no pics of the setup but it was pretty simple. I had two 25mm steel bars that would clip into the side walls. My 7'4" had a glassed on single fin so the bars were set so that the fin was pointing up and almost to the ceiling. I just had one bungy over each board to stop them sliding forward under braking. Boards were placed side by side.

I guess doing this sort of storage depends a lot on how much headroom you have to spare.

Kind regards John.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Make some type of board rack or simply bungee them so you can hang them on the ceiling. That way you still have all the space you originally had...

My SUP is 11x6x33 and is a monster. I tried to fit it in racks and on the wall without taking up too much space and I ended up strapping it to the ceiling.

Abe Froman

Adventurer
A few ideas

A few random ideas

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 20

thop154

If you don't have seats, and have removed most or all of the seatbelts, you can use 7/16-20 eye-bolts in the factory seat belt holes, with a sort of either lashing strap, or something of the sort to get it all the way across the van. I use old c-spine backboard straps with two carabiners to clip into the eye-bolts, along with bungees to make sure the boards are tight to the side of the van, and not sliding side to side at all.

2015-07-29 09.47.58.jpg
2015-07-29 09.48.20.jpg
2015-07-29 09.48.29.jpg
2015-07-29 09.48.43.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vms-700050?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw8-GtBRCMl7m54PzgjNQBEiQAIZckv3QWojBnLVQLyudleUGdohJ4cjXS9YxBn9PpmxIq9EYaAh4b8P8HAQ

BSK

Thanks for the ideas, definitely going to go with some sort of tight to the ceiling method. I think the wife will be more impressed if I can maximize the headroom! Boards always take up so much space but that's what vans are for right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier