hardigg case as bear locker

cparcell

Observer
So I'm looking to use a military supply chest as a bear locker for our upcoming trip. Using a standard 33x21x19 hardigg case. Build some pantry shelves in it and not worry at nights. As I remember in my medic days these things were tuff as nails. We had several fall off trucks at speed, get hit with large objects etc without opening up. Curious to know some opinions on it. All relating to americas bears, grizzly, brown, black

aerofab

I don't think it would keep a bear out forever, but should buy you enough time to scare them away if you leave it close enough to hear them getting into it. Given enough time, they'll tear it to shreds. The determination of a hungry bear is incredible. Even black bears will rip through garage doors to get at food and that's nothing compared to what a brown bear can do.

cparcell

Observer
The reason I ask this is because we are turning one into our chuck box and dry goods storage and I don't want to leave our vehicle getting ripped into because of smells and food. So it will go outside with the yeti. When capable I'll winch it up a tree at night but waking up with a bear shaking your rooftop tent doesn't sound enjoyable.

cparcell

Observer
Had to drill rivets out then remove the boxes and move and drill then re attach in different locations. No trying to figure out how we want the rest.

cparcell

Observer
Yhe original shelves were seperated by two individual boxes so we had to drill out the rivets holding the boxes in then drill the boxes I'm different locations. Used the handle bolts to actually secure the top portion of the box and riveted the bottom and sides with rubber Backed washers. The bin going in that box will actually be a complete sealed box with compartments

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
The amount of bear resistance seems to be related to how hungry, and how experienced/old the bear is.
My best guess is that that box would slow them down but not stop them.

At least once a year we see a bear run past(or through camp, here in Co.
We have never had a bear issue although a friend had one roll his large, old, Coleman cooler around trying to get in one night (must have been a cub because the cooler survived, unopened, without damage).

I typically use metal ammo boxes for critter resistant, uncooled food storage and haven't, yet, (crosses fingers) had an issue. I figure that if a bear really want into the cooler; I'll just write it off (I do not store it inside the vehicle because I have seen the damage a bear can do entering/exiting a vehicle).
Enjoy!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Where will you be camping? If you're in any sort of established campground, any self-made case isn't going to be sufficient.

The problem is more legal than practical. There is an established process for approving bear-resistant devices, and anything that hasn't been through the process and been certified is not considered legal. If a bear gets into it, you could be found legally culpable. This can range from a citation if a ranger is annoyed that you had an unapproved container, to a serious fine and/or criminal proceedings if the bear has to be put down or relocated, or if the bear is injured by trying to open your stuff.

If you are not in an established campground, where you are less likely to come under the scrutiny of a ranger, etc., you may get away with it. Anything inside will likely be tossed/destroyed, since the bear's first maneuver is usually to knock things around and jump on them for a while, before trying to hook a claw into the gaps.

cparcell

Observer
The use of it is I want a easy to remove portion that can be left out. When we remote camp in TN I have seen people's chuck boxes shredded because they smell of food. I have seen vehicles ripped open for the same reason. We are heading to Colorado for a 2 week adventure and being as we are traveling 1500 miles plus to the state I do not want our vehicle disabled. So we are building a air tight storage container that can be removed from the vehicle and wiped down with ammonia quickly left outside the vehicle. It's more of a deterrent the prevention. When packed will be slide into the back for adventures and when applicable when camped will be hooked and winched into the air. I'll accept a ticket if a ranger does think my solution to having my equipment and vehicle destroyed isn't accepted. When I have talked with rangers in the past, the actual effort and thought into the application warrants more praise then some simpleton that just stuff everything into the car and forgets to take steps to protect the animal and themselves. We are not big camp ground people so the usual bear lockers found at them will not be in the camping list. I looked at other solutions for the problem but other then a small backpack barrel I have yet to see a portable solution for the outlander.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
We never camp in numbered or rent-a-space camp areas...only primitive in national forests.
The only things we do special is the food ammo cans, critter resistant, almost certainly not bear proof, never have food next to or in the tent, never cook next to the tent, wash before retiring and sterilize all food related trash/grease/cans etc. in the campfire (when/where it legal to have one).
Only had the one bear incident and are glad to see them most years...
The only tickets that I have ever seen issued were for drunk driving/trashing the off trail areas (drunks on atvs) or for un attended campfire during an open flame ban.
Mostly the bears just run past camp (apparently afraid we were going to eat them (greasy))...
The rangers have been known to stop and talk, sometimes hand out literature or take pictures of license plates (for id in case of forest fire, we figure).
Mostly they are pretty nice folks...Occasionally you find one that is on a power trip.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

cparcell

Observer
Yea that's been my general interaction as well with rangers. If you are doing something terrible then more then likely your getting a ticket. Most are actually impressed with the effort put forth to keep both animal and humans safe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior