IM1RU's VMI Trailer (now with Trimbren 3500HD suspension)

IM1RU

Observer
Hope this helps.

4.6 Cubic ft Isotherm fridge on the left. Below is the QR Propane hose, Water mixer with QR hose. To the right - cabinets, counter and storage underneath the counter. The stove in the BK bag (which they also made for me) is a Camp Chef Weekender. if that gives you all a reference point.

IMG_0716_zps7xp76lvv.jpg

fireball

Explorer
Do you know the dimensions of the cabin/box?

2340lbs dry will make for a pretty heavy trailer all loaded up with gear and water for the weekend. I'm surprised it weighs that much given the all-aluminum construction.

I really like how the wheels are inset into the body. The specs online show a 68" body width and 72" total width, tire to tire. This should be great for getting it to track in the vehicle footprint.

I'd be curious to know what made you want to go with this model? Was it the interior stand-up headroom? That would seem to be the main advantage over a TD. It is very interesting to me how folks choose a particular trailer or setup that works best for their particular style of camping, type of exploring, etc!

Last edited:

IM1RU

Observer
Do you know the dimensions of the cabin/box?

2340lbs dry will make for a pretty heavy trailer all loaded up with gear and water for the weekend. I'm surprised it weighs that much given the all-aluminum construction.

I really like how the wheels are inset into the body. The specs online show a 68" body width and 72" total width, tire to tire. This should be great for getting it to track in the vehicle footprint.

I'd be curious to know what made you want to go with this model? Was it the interior stand-up headroom? That would seem to be the main advantage over a TD. It is very interesting to me how folks choose a particular trailer or setup that works best for their particular style of camping, type of exploring, etc!

The box as you said is 68" wide. It is 10" long, Total trailer length is 15'. It is within 2" of being the exact width of my Xterra, so tracking is near perfect.

As for the choice, well, Stand up inside, place to store / use your clothes and gear that IS NOT on the bed, nor in the tow vehicle. No taller than a Tear drop with a RTT on it. And the truth is when a Tear drop has all the same gear this has and an RTT they weigh just as much. The difference is I can stand / Sit / eat INSIDE mine. So far all I've done is sleep in there. The whole idea for us is to be outside, so unless we go camping in a hurricane I doubt I'll every use the inside table..... But I can and that's what makes me smile

fireball

Explorer
Definitely agreed with you there, we have been planning on a TD for awhile now and the biggest goals are to have quick and easy setup/packup times and be able to camp in reasonable comfort during inclement weather.

A few more questions if you don't mind?

Can you still use the awning when the top is popped?
What's behind the door on the LH side, looks like it is right where the fridge is?
Where is the 25gal water tank located?
Was your wife mad that you made her cook dinner while you were busy snapping photos?! :)

IM1RU

Observer
Sorry about inserting my answers in your quote, It just seemed easier...... (Man, that doesn't sound right does it?)

Definitely agreed with you there, we have been planning on a TD for awhile now and the biggest goals are to have quick and easy setup/packup times and be able to camp in reasonable comfort during inclement weather.

A few more questions if you don't mind?

Can you still use the awning when the top is popped? Yes, they actually intended it that way. They extended the pole. Sometime I will post up a photo of the whole thing deployed.

What's behind the door on the LH side, looks like it is right where the fridge is? That would be the on demand hot water heater. It is hung on the door, you hook up the QR hoses and poof... HOT water. When your done , undo the QR hoses the unit drains on to the ground, and close the door. No venting through the trailer, it's all outside.

Where is the 25gal water tank located? Above the axle. It's tucked up there pretty good, I think you'd have to try pretty hard to hit it. There is a picture on their web site.

Was your wife mad that you made her cook dinner while you were busy snapping photos?! :) LOL, It was her turn, The truth is I do most of the cooking and she is my sous chef:chef:, but that's only because she likes to chop and I don't.

Hope that helps

shauniscndn

Adventurer
Thanks for reply on tow vehicle, sorry I missed it in the 1st post. One more ? Was the 13 month waiting period for build/lead time?

IM1RU

Observer
Thanks for reply on tow vehicle, sorry I missed it in the 1st post. One more ? Was the 13 month waiting period for build/lead time?

Yes. We ordered (made a deposit) last June. That put us in line. I actually got really lucky. Someone else pushed the "pause button" on their trailer, so my build got moved up a bit.

When you realize its just three guys doing all this, including fielding email and phone calls, it's pretty damn good. Besides that, as tough as the wait is, it does give you time to contemplate and think things through about what you want.

IM1RU

Observer
Nice trailer! We're enjoying ours also.

Thanks Terex, My assistant at work just bought 3 acres in Taos up in one of the Earthship communities. So I'd imagine at some point myself and my trailer will be making the trip down there.

Terex

Adventurer
Thanks Terex, My assistant at work just bought 3 acres in Taos up in one of the Earthship communities. So I'd imagine at some point myself and my trailer will be making the trip down there.

Cool! Let me know when you may be here.

midog

Observer
This thing is even more awesome in person! The wood slat ceiling is beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharpie

Observer
What brand of water mixer is that? Been looking for one just like that. Congrats on the trailer. It really is a nice one. Can't wait to see the awning pics.

IM1RU

Observer
Cool! Let me know when you may be here.

I will, it could be a while.

This thing is even more awesome in person! The wood slat ceiling is beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks man!

What brand of water mixer is that? Been looking for one just like that. Congrats on the trailer. It really is a nice one. Can't wait to see the awning pics.

I don't have the faintest idea. Not even sure it has a name on it. I have seen other RV's with the same thing though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94