EC vs. ATW for add-on leaf springs/shocks

Mock Tender

Adventurer
I have decided to add new suspension to the Beast. I am looking for something that makes for a more pleasant ride when traveling at 30+ mph. Four wheeling has been acceptable at our weight (6 tons) with stock, but the rough road driving is in serious need of improvement. I asked one of the above mentioned vendors for why yours over the other guy- they passed on answering- so hopefully without causing any offense- why would I prefer one over the other?

Mark

dlh62c

Explorer
I've always wondered if they both source these parts from the same place in Australia. Something to consider is the increase in height the new suspension will bring. Someone can correct me, but I think the parabolics will raise the step height about 3".

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
I've always wondered if they both source these parts from the same place in Australia. Something to consider is the increase in height the new suspension will bring. Someone can correct me, but I think the parabolics will raise the step height about 3".

In Australia we had them made for us as we do here in the US.

GR8ADV

Explorer
I went with ATW. Why? First off I do no want to be part of any company bashing yada yada. I have my reasons and I will share them below. You may agree with them or not. They are my reasons. Please decide for yourself.
I have ATW 19.5 wheels, thus it is a full tested 'system'
Customer reviews are all positive.
There is real science behind parabolic systems.
They have experience in parabolics.
Shock and spring are balanced for each other.
No structural fabrication required; they are bolt on.
The EC springs require structural modification to lengthen the springs to improve ride.
EC has a bolt on set but they would not provide me with any technical information as to why these would be any better than stock; they would not even tell me what shock they used. Thus it was hard to evaluate and there were no customer reviews I could draw on
We are all lucky that we have two excellent companies providing products for the FUSO.

Last edited:

Further

Those are some beefy and heavy wheels. What are you using to raise/lower the spare when needed? I think the domestic Warrior has a winch just for the spares.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Those are some beefy and heavy wheels. What are you using to raise/lower the spare when needed? I think the domestic Warrior has a winch just for the spares.
To be accurate, the Global Warrior has a 15000lb winch as the main recovery winch and also lifts the wheels.
I've always wondered if they both source these parts from the same place in Australia.
Hi Darryl,
How are you mate?
ATW parabolic spring packs were designed in their Yandina workshop specifically for each model truck and then made for them to their own specifications at an overseas springworks. I also should add that this particular springworks also makes OEM parabolic leafs for some of the biggest manufacturers around so the QA is up there. There are only a handful of spring factories in the world with the technology to press a parabolic taper into spring steel, in fact there are none (to my knowledge) in the Southern Hemisphere, so it is obviously far more complex than you might imagine. Anyway, they are definitely not an off-the-shelf item and the large volume of suspension work that ATW has done in the commercial sector is probably the only reason this has been commercially viable.
Kind regards John

Last edited:

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
We're not really good at self promotion but we make a really good tool that allows people to travel around their world. Our springs and suspension are only part of that tool. They're made for us based on our specifications to enhance on and OFF road travel--we have a lot of experience in off road travel both competitively and for fun. Our springs are made in the US and are designed so they can be fixed in the field and can be replaced by a factory spring if necessary. That means you won't be driving in circles (literally) looking for someone to help you fix a suspension problem. So although we might be coy in giving a lot of details, what we do works and works well and lets one get on with their experience of going where they want to go.
Michelle

unkamonkey

Explorer
Springs seem to bring out a lot of opinions from people. I got some grief when I posted that I added a leaf to the four corners on my FG. Why? I was tired of my front axle hitting the bump stops on a highway. It runs at close to the max GVW. I don't think I have ever had a problem with the rear axle.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy

I added a 2000 pound ATV winch for lifting the spare in and out of it's storage position. It's a cheap and simple solution.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Oops forgot a piece of info. The ATW setup raised the height about 1 inch after install. This may change after a few thousand miles. However I changed from s non stock setup. Your results will definetly vary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles