EC vs. ATW for add-on leaf springs/shocks

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Oops forgot a piece of info. The ATW setup raised the height about 1 inch after install. This may change after a few thousand miles. However I changed from s non stock setup. Your results will definetly vary.

Hi Ken,

One thing parabolics are good at is holding their set.....in other words, don't expect them to sag anywhere near as much as conventional springs do over their lifetime.
The other thing you mention is that results will definitely vary. Parabolic suspension moves very freely which is the whole idea. However this means that the change in height will vary greatly depending on the axle mass. I'll give you an example >>> When I (@100kg) stood on the top step of my last FG84 with parabolics, that side of the truck would drop 10mm. So obviously the heavier the truck the less it will be lifted. I don't think conventional springs are effected to the same extent.
Regards John

Last edited:

GR8ADV

Explorer
As an aside, we have over 50 EarthCruisers traveling around with our suspension...
Michelle
and this is important. I am not sure I have heard a bad report on the EC suspension. No word yet on the bolt on version.
Although I have no doubt that both ATW and the 'real' EC suspension are both excellent, I am not sure that either will work as well with the others wheel set up as they do with their own. . The EC wheel tire combo is a completely different animal than the ATW setup. If it were me, my decision would take this into consideration. Maybe the two players could weigh in on this speculation based on their knowledge of suspension.

Last edited:

gait

Explorer
perhaps just some general principles ...
difficult to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, once a truck always a truck
my truck is at the lighter end of the spectrum so fewer ATW leaves, others are heavier
small diameter rims with large diameter tyres can be more comfortable and flexible than large diameter rims and same outer diameter tyres
strong sidewalls are good for life, not so good for comfort
conventional wisdom is that lower unsprung to sprung weight ratio is "better".
longer springs are "softer" than shorter springs
parabolic are "softer" than conventional leaf
parabolics tend to wear out shocks sooner
greasable bushes seem to be de-rigeur
suspension seats are good, I have sprung thingies

even with all the mods we met roads that we simply left and took another one.

air is good, corrugations are bad.

after all that I would continue the search for a vehicle that doesn't require suspension modification.

I read somewhere the original (front) springs have slightly different set for left and right to compensate for some road camber, as can ATW, don't know about EC.

I had a curved pipe that arched over either of two vertically slung spares, wire rope through middle of pipe to hand brake winch. My chassis was cut short by previous owner, I now have a standard spare wheel chain winch from a big truck for single spare horizontally under rear of sub-frame. High enough to always have access and no effect on departure angle. I'll also carry a spare carcass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior