Trash or Treasure--Garmin 276C???

billy bee

Adventurer
Don't know if I should dump it in the trash or sell it on eBay. I cannot get any maps to work on my beloved 276. I know there are some workarounds, but I cannot seem to figure them out...and I'm using a Mac. Any ideas?

bb

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
If your throwing it out, I will take it paying shipping to me. Let me know. I have a map card for my area a friend had. So if I can get it to work great, if not. you were throwing it out anyways.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
OH I know. I really want one of these and I was willing to take a chance on it if you were tossing it!. If it didn't work im not out a lot but if it did, I got a great deal and I would be putting it to good use.

billy bee

Adventurer
Well I have put 1,200 miles on my 276C since posting this question. I have my answer: the 276 is still an amazing unit. As I don't have Mapsourse, I could not tell which maps I had loaded on the unit. I could tell that they were from 2008, but that was it. Turns out I have all of CA and OR on there. I made it from Arroyo Grande, Ca to McMinnville, OR guided by AAA maps and my 276. Great combo, actually. (BTW, I am riding my 2006 Buell Ulysses.)

I would still like to figure out Mapsource and get some updated maps. I know there are workarounds to the discontinued Garmin map sets. Just don't know what they are.

Anyway, I am re-dedicated to making the 276 work for me for at least a few more years.

bb

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
R u nuts ?

I'm not up to date with the latest models, but I've used mine since approx 2002 ish and still don't have issues
I get free mapping from the US site mentioned above and another in the Netherlands that exports google maps into garmin format.

Powered, batteries, free mapping, waterproof, to date never needed to replace it

Hand held, car, bike use it everywhere !

Happy to pay shipping and get a spare !

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I was having issues with my 276. I could not load City Navigator One call to Garmin support and that was sorted out. the only issue is limited memory for maps.

lugueto

Adventurer
Compared to newer devices they are pretty outdated, but if you have it and know how to use it it will give you years and years of reliable service.

These things are extremely tough, get great reception, have a huge screen. The downsides are (VERY) limited memory, crappy batteries and somewhat complicated UI (which might not be a concern for people like us)

Nowadays you can have a device with large, expandable amounts of memory (which equals more, higher detailed maps), even better reception (GLONASS capability), better battery life and options and pretty much the same level of weather resistance and sturdiness depending on which device you choose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online