Camping in your SUV

diver110

So I like to spend a few days at a time in a park with few services. Until now I have always stayed in a hotel nearby. But they would let me camp there. I am too old for tents and too cheap to buy an RV, so I am wondering about having a full-sized SUV be my "tent." I have already got some helpful advice on a mattress. Any words of wisdom on doing this, ventilation, fans, inverters, whatever?

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
why not hang a hammock off the roof rack & over to a tree, I find its much better all the way around

ccarley

Adventurer
My wife and I used to camp in the back of our '89 Suburban. It was actually quite nice for the job; we are both short enough to fit in the back without folding up the, uhh, middle row seat.

DSC_0701.sized.jpg

That was camp! Everything that was in the back came out, and there was plenty of room. Blanket over the back window (I have a tailgate, not the doors), open the wing windows, and we were set. It was very comfortable, and quiet.

Clay

tarditi

Explorer
Lots of people sleep in their SUVs or trucks.

You do want to ventilate your vehicle or it will become a greenhouse. Something for privacy would be good - curtains, black-out shades, etc.
Power is up to you. Inverter, solar, multiple batteries, generator, etc. Depends on what you're trying to power, really.
Kitchen is really best left outdoors unless you have an RV or campmobile type rig.

You may get some clever ideas from van dwellers and boondockers, too.

justcuz

Explorer
If it is windy I usually crack the windows on the leeward side of the Suburban. If not I generally park in such a way that the normal weather patterns are taken into account for ventilation. Of course if a front blows through you will have erratic winds ahead of and behind a storm, so all bets are off there. I too leave a lot of stuff outside while sleeping, generally stuffed under the back of the vehicle. I don't cover any windows or anything, but most of the time I am alone. If my wife was a more frequent companion that might change, but she's not a big camper.

diver110

Thanks. That was helpful. Any of you use an inverter? I assume you avoided really hot weather. What about when it is cooler? Short of running the engine, what do you suggest for heat?

meental

Observer
I run an inverter and an electric blanket for the colder trips, keeps the gf happy in the back of my Xterra.

Sent from my victara using Tapatalk

TKSC01

Adventurer
I run an Excursion, can sleep comfortably in the back and have room for a fridge/ microwave, sink and tv. Love it!

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Thanks. That was helpful. Any of you use an inverter? I assume you avoided really hot weather. What about when it is cooler? Short of running the engine, what do you suggest for heat?

how cold of an environment are you camping in ?

one of these thermacare back wraps is enough to keep you warm all night ~ http://www.amazon.com/ThermaCare-Lower-Wraps-Large-XL-2-Count/dp/B001G7QUXW

even with a window cracked & the proper - degree sleeping bag I dont see why you'd have too much of a problem

though in case you dont know but in extreme cold climates sleeping in the vehicle is actually colder than in a shelter per se

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I have two "double" sleeping bags--a 30°F and a "0"°F bag--no problems/w my wife and I--

Either in a tent, or back of jeep-and we usually don't even camp if it's gonna be "COLD" weather !

Whatever

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
My wife and I just got back from another camping trip where we slept inside my 70 Suburban.
There is a thead on Expo about rear platforms that show how you can have storage and a nice place to sleep.
The Exped Mega Mat 10 is a dream to sleep on...amazing.

We have some heavy canvas with magnets to cover the windows.

Love our setup and plan to keep it forever.

coastalcop

2nd gen xterra, easy peasy, 6 inch trifold memory foam mattress (full) from Amazon. A little care when packing and sleeps two easy ( she is 5'6" I'm 6'3" 190 lbs) room for arms over my head ( folded) sleeping

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
My Bronco is a bit short to be camping in, but with the tailgate, and the clever use of a surplus pup tent, I'm able to add a few extra feet to the interior and make a nice shady shelter during the day.
attachment.php

attachment.php

If you're going to use an inverter, I'd wire it to an auxiliary batter and not the main one, especially if you're using to power devices like a cell phone or refrigerator. That way, you don't drain the main starting battery.

Seabass

Idiot
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441674773.306823.jpg used this setup for several years. Bought a slide-in, sold it and went back. Yeah, it's not an SUV......but it'd work.

legendaryandrew

Adventurer
My girlfriend and I camp out of my '03 Suburban, and love it. We picked up 2 12v cigarette lighter fans for camping in hot weather, and keep the back door windows cracked for ventilation. I also have a nice foam/air mattress from cabelas that is a twin, 1" thick without being inflated, about 3" after inflation that we sleep on. We use a cabelas -20 and a 0 degree bag, zipped together, we put the appropriate side up depending on weather/temp. Everything we bring is organized into those black and grey rubber maid totes, that we store under the truck, and use a pop up gazebo/awning to keep our seating area dry, and to store our stuff when we're up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles