1983 SR5 tires

Arktikos

Explorer
I've often joked that these engines are the closest thing to a diesel motor a gasoline motor's ever been. On the other hand, if you want hassle-free life, the EFI of the GenII engine is the way to go, it's too stupid to die..

Rings true to me. Remember that older engines like the 22R typically have a much more difficult time passing the smog tests.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Are you thinking of an engine swap? I wouldn't swap unless something goes seriously wrong with the 22R. The 22RE has a few extra ponies and usually a few extra miles per gallon and has some smarts--it automatically adjusts to changing altitude, temperature, etc. Also, sometimes carbbed engines will flood when trying to climb something really steep. The EFI is impervious to that, as it doesn't have fuel in a bowl.

If the truck has a nice-running 22R in it, I would leave it in place. Not only does it help the truck maintain its collectors value, but it's probably not worth the trouble to swap unless you have to....or go to something quite a bit different like a 3RZ.

Doc_

Sammich!
Yeah, definitely. Last time for me it required a thorough tune-up, new plugs, rotor, dizzy cap, wires, fresh oil, and a quart of SeaFoam in the tank. It was full day's work just to get it into the test station.
I've read in Four Wheeler that it sounds like CA is mulling over a new bill that will allow owners of vehicles 30+ years old and manufactured after 1976 to present CARB with a failure certificate and a $200 payment in exchange for a mulligan on smog. If it goes through, I'm desmogging and bolting on TBI scrounged off of an Iron Duke engine.

Last edited:

jgallo1

Adventurer
Thanks again for the info.. Here in Ca I explore all over, Seriously.. My cousin lives up in truckee and another in mammoth. I spend time up there, I own a home out in montana, so drive to and from and camp everywhere in between. I also spend alot of time, surfing and diving up and down the coast, baja to crescent city.. Really all over.
I have some bad news though, turns out the truck in not in the shape it was supposed to be. Has trouble idiling, leaks, not the re-build I thought and he still wants the same price. So, I told him I was out.
Thanks again for the help..

Doc_

Sammich!
Nice! That's kind of the life I want to live, just roaming where the impulse takes me and seeing what I want to see.
Good call on the truck, there are others out there to be found. Someone out there looking for a project will hopefully be the owner of that truck eventually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94