1983 SR5 tires

jgallo1

Adventurer
Hello,
I am about to pick up a new to me 1983 SR5. Its in great shape. I am planning my to do list. I am going to keep it mostly original. I will most likely add a OME lift, like 2" and I was thinking of going with the PIZZA CUTTER tires. 32x9.5x15.
I found this photo, was thinking that is what is going on with the truck in the photo, what do y'all think.
Thanks

Truck2.jpg

Derek24

Explorer
I like the pizza cutters look on these skinny trucks! That truck in the photo has the bfg km2 33x10.5. You'll want to regear if you go to a 33. I don't think there is a 32x9.5? Super swamped makes a 34x9.5, but again regear. Here's mine with OME, inch longer shackle up front and 31x10.5.

image.jpg

Derek24

Explorer
Derek24,
thanks, Interco does make a 32x9.5, would you regear for that size as well?

Ah I missed that. No you should be ok, you'll feel the power loss, especially on hills. I felt the difference, now I'm use to it, just have to plan for hills and rev it out some more. It will look great that's for sure!

Arktikos

Explorer
I don't think the truck in the photo is lifted. The truck you're getting is really mint, so keep in mind that you may be lowering the future value by lifting it. After all, that's a big deviation from original... Shouldn't matter if you plan on keeping it forever though.

Derek24

Explorer
Those swampers are bias ply, if you plan on DD it you're not going to like it. They will work awesome offroad!

The OME springs are a direct bolt in so it won't degrade the value of your truck. It may actually enhance it, because of the new look.

The stock brakes are not excellent, but the upgrades are not really necessary until you fit big tires. Even then, I know guys driving around on stock brakes with 35" tires. I might try installing a more aggressive brake pad up front, like Hawk HPS brake pads. I use them in all my Toyota builds now. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hwk-hb315f-669

I've got the Swamper 34x 9.50's on my Rover and they flat spot overnight. Not a good choice for a street driven truck. Mine is rarely street driven so I don't really care.

These are mounted on stock solid axle Toyota mini truck wheels.

jgallo1

Adventurer
Thanks for all the advice, If I put the OME kit on it, Which will give about 2'', any tire size & recs? Any other recs for using it as a daily driver, besides new break pads? It will rarely be highway driven. Mostly side streets etc.. My daily commute is like 15-20 miles round trip no HWY. Not bad. I know people who do it on all kinds of old rigs,and old motorcycles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles