Moving a camper from a 2004 Fuso FG 649 to a 2007 FG

dtruzinski

Explorer
Does anyone know if the mounting holes and frames of a 2004 Fuso FG 649 are the same as a 2007 FG? I just bought a 2007 truck with 13K original miles and no rust. I want to move my camper from my 2004 to my "new" 2007. I am contracting a local firm to do the switch over and they are very worried about the differences. I am bolted on fixed at the rear and have a front pivot. Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.

dave

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Dave. Hard for me to comment with assurance on that due to unknown differences between Australian and North American models. Is the 2007 FG a 649? You didn't say.

In Australia 2004 and 2007 model designations were both FG649 and almost identical physically. The only minor changes I can remember were some of the last 649's saw the introduction of the alloy gearbox casing but almost certainly chassis rails were still the same here.

By the way, not sure if anyone realised but this thread makes the 1000th since the FUSO section of Expedition Portal was started at the beginning of 2008. 🎂

Last edited:

dtruzinski

Explorer
@whatcharterboat, John you raise a really good question. When I was buying this Fuso, I neglected to check if it was a long or short WB. My box is only 13' so either will work. I guess I will learn more next weekend when I pick it up in Bend OR. Thanks for the reply and acknowledgement of the 1000th thread! I am addicted to these vehicles...wish I would have known about them in 2007! I would have bought a couple!
tnx
dave

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Dave,

13' would be about the max to fit onto a SWB but you're right I guess. Either wheelbase will work with that body , it might just be a little extra work for your workshop guys.

Are you near Bend? Some of my engineering students here also attend a kiteboarding school In Bend for part of the year. It sounds like a really interesting place.

Regards
John

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
G`day Dave
Your new truck is the ~134 inch wheel base ( and it is very very clean) well done on this find, and yes the chassis is almost the same as your 04.

dtruzinski

Explorer
Lance, G'day to you as well. I about had a heart attack when I realized that the 2007's had a short wb model. That would have been disastrous. I think I found a shop to do the swap, but they are clearly a little nervous...Once they see the trucks, I think they will be ok. Thanks for note on the chassis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior