4m50 turbo upgrade

boostin

Adventurer
HX35 and presumably HY35 are very old technology turbos. I know the HX35 came on early Dodge Cummins trucks and you can likely find one cheap, as the Dodge guys want to upgrade to newer tech or twins. Holset makes a great turbo, but there are better and more efficient turbos in that size for sure. Check junk yards for OEM applications, tuning shops that install or upgrade turbos and import car forums, where people seem to always have more money than brains, when modding some of these cars.

The hx35 was early 2000s do not that old...the fact that they are cheap, common, and robust wings me over.

Most of the newer turbo are vnt and I have little interest in the. The hx35 since stock size on cummins 5.9 think would be a great upgrade turbo for Fuso 4.9.

But that being said if it is a t3 flange turbo options could be limitless

DzlToy

Explorer
1994-98 MANUAL 175-215 HX35W 12cm²
1994-98 AUTO 160-180 HX35W 12cm²
-----------------------
I would be concerned about it being a bit laggy on a 4M50, especially without being to turn the pump up or increase RPM. I will be interested to see what you come up with :beer:

Amesz00

Adventurer
I know at the least steinbauer and dpchip make chips for the FG, so I wouldn't doubt they would for the fe also. The 12cm ar on the hx35 did concern me a little, tho with extra fuel it may work well.
This is what I'm looking at
http://www.agpturbo.com/borg-warner-agp-s251sx-turbocharger/
Agp does a .48 and .63 housing for it, and the compressor map lines up perfectly up to about 35psi boost..

Does anyone know what the flange on the other FG is? I had thought it was t25, but wasn't sure. If there is a t3 one, that'd be good.

boostin

Adventurer
I was leaning towards the 9cm on the hy.

I believe all other manifold are td04 flange that I dint think matches up with any thing else sadly.

I did contact steinbauer and they said nothing for the fe

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I was leaning towards the 9cm on the hy.

I believe all other manifold are td04 flange that I dint think matches up with any thing else sadly.

I did contact steinbauer and they said nothing for the fe

How close are the flanges, is it that difficult to machine to fit or make an adapter?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Hmmm... the link works for me.

Anyway, go to steinbauer.cc/au and do a search for 4M50. You should see quite a few FE models listed.

If you find the chip you are after you can contact Alan, as he is a Steinbauer reseller.

DzlToy

Explorer
There is something in that site which automatically redirects the yanks, to the US site. I even typed ".cc/au/products/" manually into the text bar and it auto corrects right back to US.

Australian proxy is the only thing I can think of and it might need to be one that is not transparent, as well.

Alan is probably your best option, at this time.

boostin

Adventurer
I managed to talk to some one at the Australia one and us going to give me the Canadian contact.

Also found a pdf with a listing for a 175 hp canter in Europe.

ALSO...bought a turbo off eBay today..holset hy35 with the smaller quick spool 9cm exhaust housing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online