4m50 turbo upgrade

boostin

Adventurer
So after seeing the turbo and then hearing in another thread that mitsu used a small turbo to increase back pressure for the egr I feel that I need to plan a turbo upgrade down the road.

Any one upgrade a turbo on a 4m50?

Any one have a idea of a good candidate?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'm interested in this too. I think you need to do the exhaust brake as well?

boostin

Adventurer
I willl be doing full exhaust and intake first but I think the turbo is a major restriction in the system

Any one know what turbo it is?

Amesz00

Adventurer
Hmmm tdo4 sounds correct that's the exhaust size but 4 after sounds wrong..

Should be like 11,13,14,16.

Yep unfortunately that's all that's marked on it. Actually I have a feeling the higher rated fe may be a TD05.. But it'd be a tiny one all the same.
As far as replacements there are a bunch of possible options, depends on what you want out of it. My plan is a borgwarner S200sx, when I eventually get around there.

boostin

Adventurer
I looked up the fg same turbo part number.

Wonder if a different td04 center section and compressure would fit?

DzlToy

Explorer
Looked at mine today, troubleshooting an over-heating issue and reminded myself how ridiculously small the turbos are on these trucks.

Solutions (which you think the engineers at Mitsu would know, as they have been building trucks for a few years now)

Properly sized turbo keeps EGT down, compound twins do an even better job, Additionally, there is no turbo lag.

Large amounts of back-pressure are not ideal in a turbo diesel application.

Replacing the traditional EGR system with any one of several alternatives, prevents hot exhaust gases from being introduced back into the system.

"typically" OEM intake and exhaust systems are designed for price points, emission, dB and/or NVH levels, etc. They are NOT designed for optimum performance, top notch quality, ease of service, maximum flow, etc.

With this engine being mostly electronic, I presume that tuning it to compensate for your changes will be a nightmare. It would be nice to have a small part of the aftermarket tuning options/accessories that domestic diesel trucks have in the US.

A TD-04 turbo is quite common in the import car world. You may have some luck swapping parts there or getting one built to improve your performance.

boostin

Adventurer
Yes..I feel the small turbo it's basically a heat generator and it's causing some of my heat problems as well keeping heat in the engine from the small exhaust housing and the intake side just blows super heat which prob helps heat the rad:)

Amesz00

Adventurer
I looked up the fg same turbo part number.

Wonder if a different td04 center section and compressure would fit?

IMO the TD04 frame is just too small, if you're going to the effort of upgrading turbos anyways... TD05 would work, have to get the right one still tho. From memory a small 16g comp had a decent fitting map, either an 8 or 10cm exhaust housing.

boostin

Adventurer
IMO the TD04 frame is just too small, if you're going to the effort of upgrading turbos anyways... TD05 would work, have to get the right one still tho. From memory a small 16g comp had a decent fitting map, either an 8 or 10cm exhaust housing.

I wonder what the spool would be like on a td05? I could prob source a td05 14b from a talon easily.

Guess make a adapter plate since the fuso flange looks different.

boostin

Adventurer
The factory turbo is so small it almost makes me depressed.

Looks like I am taking it to a turbo shop on Monday to see exactly what model it is.

from there we are going to see what kind of upgrade I can do either a quick and easy or long-term and proper.

if I can go to the auto recycler and get a bigger TDO4 for from a Volvo and get some short-term power increase I think it might be worth it

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
The factory turbo is so small it almost makes me depressed.

Looks like I am taking it to a turbo shop on Monday to see exactly what model it is.

from there we are going to see what kind of upgrade I can do either a quick and easy or long-term and proper.

if I can go to the auto recycler and get a bigger TDO4 for from a Volvo and get some short-term power increase I think it might be worth it

Sweet, thanks for doing the leg work and look forward to hearing what you come up with!

I'm also thinking that a cheap and easy swap for a better TD04 is a worthwhile step, even if you doing something bigger/better eventually it would be a relatively easy way to see whether changing the turbo is going to cause other issues with the engine management system, etc before you sink bigger money/time into adapting a TD05, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior