Another perplexed newbie - which option?

mtncrawler

Ok, so far I have openly been lurking - lots of great info here.

I'm sans camper/overland vehicle right now and the choice of what to move to is daunting. I currently have a 07' 4Runner with a little Toytec Lift but I'll be moving from tent camping (from a vehicle anyway). In the past, Ive owned towable pop-up campers, newer Tacomas (quad cab), and two other 4Runners.

I'm looking at all the choices out there. High on my list are ease of setup, a little off road capability (think forest roads/White Rim trail…etc), and I don't want to be towing (although it would be nice to have the ability to tow cargo/utility trailer for toys). I've thought about towing a camper of some sort, using as a base camp per se, and playing from there but that limits my "exlorability". This list has narrowed it to truck camper I think.

BUT, that still leaves a lot of possibility as has often been debated here and other places..:). Hard side or pop-up? Stay with a smaller truck, like Tacoma, or move to Tundra? Tundra may be limiting weight/tow wise - so does that mean a Chevy/Dodge/Ford 3/4 ton (or larger)? Can you tell I'm a Toyota fan?? - nothing against the other big three - just my experience.

One of the things that is desirable for me also (keeping with the truck camper theme) is for road tripping - I often like to stop, have lunch, take a break, go for hike..etc, so not so much that I'm AT my destination for the day. How useable are the truck campers for in transit mode kind of access? It looks like the hard siders are no brainers - but how about pop ups? Are they useable at all with popping things up? door/utility access? The compromise I'm seeing is that pop ups have greater appeal for lighter weight and more off road duty, while hard siders are all about convenience (maybe more robust for all season use?), but coming at a weight penalty.

I KNOW I'm regurgitating the same old conflict :)

From those who have spent time in both full and compact size TC's - lets say for now - a pop up is the way to go. How much more useable space/storage would there be in the smaller platform campers (FWC) from a Tacoma long bed say, to a Tundra or beyond 3/4-1Ton? FYI - Only talking two adults and a dog. Anyone traveling with a Tacoma/TC combo AND trailering a utility trailer?

Just looking for any experienced recommendations based on what I've stated above - I'll continue to look/search - but I thought it wouldn't hurt to throw out the same old question, just for me :)

Thanks!

EDIT: I also wanted to mention that I've considered camper vans, but not rely having 4x4 doesn't seem doable. It might be tempting to look at the newer Sprinter 4x4's and then converting. Its a possibility for sure, I traveled in New Zealand for 5 weeks in a Toyota camper van. Loved the convenience (especially in foul weather), but it just didn't have the storage on board.

TwinStick

Explorer
Well, i am biased, but here goes my thoughts.
I read so many threads on people who have a built to the hilt this or that, then comes the "i am getting horrible mileage issue", next up is the "i need more room issue", "we had more kids issue", "i need more power issue", "i want to tow issue", etc..., etc... . I have none of these issues. I did it right the first time (for us anyways). We bought a Dodge Power Wagon. It tows, it hauls, it takes the family out to dinner & goes places that i got no business being LOL. I was at a campgrounds, camping with my new wife (of 30 years now), before kids & asked an "old timer" what his thought were on this. He said the single biggest mistake people make is not going big enough the first time they can afford to. He said if you figure in the mods in the smaller vehicle & the beating you are gonna take selling or trading, it is cheaper by far to go big the first time you can afford to. For us, my truck fits that bill to the "T". Lockers in rear & front, 12k Warn winch, small lift, skidplates, the lowest crawl ratio of any factory stock 4x4---ever !!! Mine is 78.016:1. 3x lower than many 4x4's. Even a Jeep rubicon w/rok-trak t-case, w/4.10's & a manual trans is only 73:1.
Figure out your needs & wants & make an educated decision that will work for you for years to come. Our truck flat out ROCKS for our needs. Yes, it is big, yes, it get horrible mpg (new ones w/auto/6.4/4.10's are much better than ours) 14 vs our 8-10. (40-60% better than ours). My truck is more capable off road than i am as a driver---not sure if my pucker factor would allow me to do this---certainly not with the wife: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G81HPH0F4A

In the end, if you keep the stock engines, a built to the hilt Jeep w/37's get about the same mpg as my truck, without the towing/hauling/daily driver abilities. Just one mans thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior