So I Bought a ProMaster last year.

poriggity

Explorer
Ok, I'm loving this build.. I've been eyeballing these vans a lot lately, but no 4x4 makes it a bad thing for me.

philos

Explorer
I was cracking up on the hand model bit... I've a friend who was the hand model for the iPhone when it launched. We always ask him if he's doing any hand jobs this week...
Also not sure if you're into the cliff jumping thing, but I went to art school with Throb/Jeff from Los Angeles Swimmin' and can make an introduction if so. Funny group of cats.
Anywho, loving the build and jokes.

Sent via flux capacitor

simple

Adventurer
Cool build and great write up. How many miles on the van so far? Any dislikes regarding the "oh yea baby" promaster in general?

KMG

Adventurer
MouSe, I'm building a Nissan NV with 4x4 to use the same as your build. My first trip will be Sept. Thanks for the write up. What is the brand or where did you get the small smoke detector? Thanks again, KMG

MouSe

Cool build and great write up. How many miles on the van so far? Any dislikes regarding the "oh yea baby" promaster in general?

I suppose there are a few quirks. The finish is a bit funky. The sliding door was painted with a different batch of paint than the body and other doors. So it does not quite match. The rear door latches broke the day after I got it. Fixed two days later. The sliding door does not like to unlatch when it gets too hot out. And in the cold, sometimes the ventilation system decides to get stuck in cooling face blast mode on high fan. And will not change until you shut down the van and restart. I don't even know.

It is a gas engine, and it will get up and go. It spins the tires on dry pavement if you are not light enough on the pedal. It is very calm on the road. I have driven Ford and Chevy service vans for work, and I would have to be constantly vigilant, least the vans were to throw me into the curb, oversteer or just push through a turn, and a blowout almost put me door side down.

So in comparison, the ProMaster handles like a sports car. It corners great, travels in a straight line forever with hands off the wheel, and while the braking totally suck, it is still tolerable.
12,000 miles so far.

MouSe

When you are passed out because your breath is now flammable it may warn someone outside?

I think what they are really looking for is a Carbon Monoxide Detector - can't smell that.

I have a CO detector also. I figure that fire is the last way I wanna die, so I threw in the smoke detector. I sleep the sleep of the dead, through the Hayward earthquate, through a shooting outside my front door in Denver, through fire I suspect. Perhaps the smoke detector will awaken me before I end up a roast pig. (Or just sleep with an apple in my mouth just in case).

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Can the rest of you see the pics? I would like to see them LOL. Just checking to make sure it's not just me.

Kilroy

Adventurer
I bought some roof racks that bolted right to the factor roof studs, have a #600 lb rating and were silver anodized to match the car. because if you can't match then why bother. Fashion always comes before function. Actually just happy coincidence. I was also looking for an awning. A crank out one with a manual crank. and they all seemed to be $1000 and up. So browsing Craigslist I found a RV shop just south of PDX that had the rare, all aluminum, over built Thule awnings. They had picked them up in a supply auction and were asking $300 each. I ran down, and offered them $250 and had a brand new in the box Thule awning.

And it mounts directly to the rack via t bolts, as it was designed to do, so no drilling the van skin.

Great write up. Thanks. Wondering on brand of your roof rack (Thule?). And how bad is the wind noise with them? Looking to install Fiamma awning in a similar fashion on Express van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz