Stay Wild Outdoor's 2006 Tacoma DCLB Build

Lurked for too long and finally decided to document my current build.

2006 Toyota Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport 4x4

Day of purchase

Currently the truck has a leveling kit installed and is sitting on some 265s with stock wheels that are missing the center caps.

Suspension plans for the near future include:
5100 Bilstein kit with the 887 OME coils from Headstrong Offroad
285/70/17 MTRs
17x8.5 Method Mesh wheels

More to come...

Bars held up tent great

After several hours of driving, we made it to Crater Lake. Have to say it was pretty amazing. The clarity and hue of the water was spectacular.

Headed a little deeper into Oregon to check out Toeketee Falls and Watson Falls.

AaronK

Explorer
Fun trip! I need to go back to crater lake one of these years

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

drobb

Adventurer
We have family up in the Merlin area of OR and we go up there often. There's lots of fun places to explore. Crater Lake is awesome!........Nice build...keep it up!

It is indeed. Coming from California and the terrible drought conditions, it was awesome to see everything so green. We only had a few days to spend, but there was many places to explore. Definitely worth another trip.

Bilstein 5100 kit from Head Strong Offroad arrived today and I managed to install it without any major hiccups. Only ran into an issue with the sway bar mount on the passenger side. It looks like the nut inside the frame broke, so the previous owner welded the swaybar bracket to the frame.

I was tempted to just grind off the bracket and ditch the swaybar, but figured I should see how it is with the 887 coils first. Does anyone have any experience with no sway bar and the 887 coils?

On an unrelated note, I stumbled upon a nice pile of leaves hiding in my fender :eek: . Not sure how common this is, but figured I would snap a pic and suggest that people take a look to see if they have something similar. Both sides were packed with leaves, but after quick work with a shop vac and long screw driver, it was all cleaned out.

And finally, a final teaser of the finished product. It was too dark to take pics, so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Finished up the front and went for a test drive

Then finished up the back and took some quick shots before running out of sunlight

Next step will be to debadge and do a detail.

Watt maker

How do you like the 887/Bilstein combo so far? Looking for something a little stiffer than my FJ springs on my 4runner. Trying to plan for a bumper and winch down to the road.

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
I have the 887 and OME shocks with no sway bar, and have not have a problem. There is a little body roll, but not too much. I'm thinking of the new BP51s or the Bilstine 6112s next. I'm not sure what combo I want yet. I'm still searching for someone who has a heavy winch and bumper (I have an ARB bar and M8000 winch) with the 6112s to see how it rides. BP51s are looking pretty sweet because they have both compression and rebound adjustability.

How do you like the 887/Bilstein combo so far? Looking for something a little stiffer than my FJ springs on my 4runner. Trying to plan for a bumper and winch down to the road.

I am happy with the 887s as it is a bit stiffer, but nothing crazy. I bought the truck with a spacer installed, so I cant exactly compare it with a stock setup. If you plan on running a bumper and winch, I would look into the 886s, depending on how much weight its going to be.

Nice rig! I ditched my swaybar long ago and didn't notice much of a difference.

I have the 887 and OME shocks with no sway bar, and have not have a problem. There is a little body roll, but not too much. I'm thinking of the new BP51s or the Bilstine 6112s next. I'm not sure what combo I want yet. I'm still searching for someone who has a heavy winch and bumper (I have an ARB bar and M8000 winch) with the 6112s to see how it rides. BP51s are looking pretty sweet because they have both compression and rebound adjustability.

If it wasn't that noticeable, especially with the ARB, it may be time to remove it. Thanks for the input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior