Carolina82's 1988 4Runner Build

Always wanted a 1st gen 4Runner. Found one on CL about 3hrs away, went to look at it, came home with it. :victory:

1988 Toyota 4Runner
22RE 201k
5spd
4x4
Working A/C
White exterior w/factory stripes
Casket red interior

Installed
Silicone radiator/vacuum hoses
New OEM thermostat
OEM plugs
OEM TPS
New taillight covers
New factory exhaust
33" KM2's w/Enkei wheels
New NAPA calipers, rotors, Wagner pads
4.88's F&R
E-locker rear
Spartan locker front

Ordered/Waiting
Full OME Lift
Redline oil

It is mostly rust free, has slight rust on rear fender, and surface rust on front fender. Frame had been sprayed. Bought it from a guy who owned it for a short time after buying from a older man who had it a while. It was bone stock which is what I was looking for. PO said it had a timing chain and HG installed by older man who he purchased it from (no documentation).

Original plan was to SAS on 35's f&r lockers blah blah blah, decided to keep it IFS but build the IFS. I already have a built 1982 Toyota pickup to beat on anyways so it made sense.

After bringing it home and waxing it.
image.jpg

Got a set of Tacoma wheels from a guy at work to hold me until I could buy tires. Took it to Charleston, SC on a day trip with a friend. Went by the South Carolina UFO welcome center in Bowman, SC on the way home.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Got a set of 15" Enkei wheels and 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2's.
image.jpg

Last edited:
That is a clean truck. Good purchase.

If it were my truck and I had another one to beat on, I would V8 swap this one (1UZ, 2UZ) and keep the exterior bone friggin stock except for a couple things. I would have a set of stock steelies widened about an inch and painted body color. The factory graphics would come off and a kangaroo killer front bumper would be installed.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Nice find! They did have some interesting interior colors back then, didn't they?

I'm all about keeping things stock now. Especially since you already have a modded rig. I changed some things on mine in the beginning, but now I wish I hadn't. If yours were mine, I'd paint those original wheels it came on, put them back on with some clean, 235/75 ATs and just clean everything up as much as possible. You can have a lot of fun with tame tires and open diffs. I admit it does look pretty good with the Enkei/BFG combo though.

Enjoy!

Gears & locker came in today. If anyone here is shopping for gears/lockers/parts I highly suggest East Coast Gear Supply, great customer service.

Got the gears installed this weekend with the help of some good friends. They made a world of difference, eager to see what my MPG's will be. Before with stock tires and 4.10's I was getting 20MPG's, 33's and 4.10's I was getting 16MPG.

Me and a friend will be traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway labor day weekend in it. Starting on the south end in Cherokee, NC and ending up on the north end just above Roanoke, VA over a period of 4 days. Should be a fun trip.

Checked the mileage, combination of highway and city driving with A/C on and off I got 21 MPG with 33x10.5x15 and 4.88's. I'm very pleased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles