Building diesel fuel tanks

kilo19

So I'm looking to gather some information on plumbing diesel fuel tanks, which way is the best, sump, lift pumps, filters aux tanks...etc.

What I've found hasn't been much therefore posting a question to see what everyone here has done.
I like the idea of a sump so you can get access to all the fuel, and not worry about priming.

What I can't find is designs that have been done on how the tanks and plumbing are built and what the order is, or what basic order it needs to be. I'm not close to this stage on mine yet, but just gathering notes at the moment.

This would be for a 1980 CJ5, 4bt/NV4500/Dana300.

Currently I still have the 12/15?? gallon tank that I want to possibly use, but also set up an aux on, or bring in a larger tank (cant decide on which idea yet).

Thanks for the future help.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Is this to be the primary tank, or a aux / 'transfer' tank? There's different more stringent rules for the former.
A sump is a bit of a complication, a sloped bottom will do most of what you want without the added complications of a true sump. If it's a transfer tank you just tap your feedline in at the lowest point, leading to your external pump.

eta if you are fitting in an aux tank the easiest is a 'transfer' tank. Design requirements are much easier. When needed you just trigger a pump and dump it's contents into your main tank. But if you are looking to possible fab a new bigger tank just use your existing tank and its hardware as a guide and just fab the new tank body to fill and fit your total volume. Keep aware of the weight you are adding and where it is, and heat sources. You could literally transplant your stock pump / internal plumbing et al to your new tank and simplify future parts sourcing. Sorta. 1980 and all.

eta wait, diesel in a CJ, what have you got going on in that thing?

Last edited:

kilo19

Is this to be the primary tank, or a aux / 'transfer' tank? This will be a primary tank, but i would like to possible put in an aux, but thats not a big priority.

eta if you are fitting in an aux tank the easiest is a 'transfer' tank. Design requirements are much easier. When needed you just trigger a pump and dump it's contents into your main tank. But if you are looking to possible fab a new bigger tank just use your existing tank and its hardware as a guide and just fab the new tank body to fill and fit your total volume. Keep aware of the weight you are adding and where it is, and heat sources. You could literally transplant your stock pump / internal plumbing et al to your new tank and simplify future parts sourcing. Sorta. 1980 and all.

Well the original was gas, (the cj was a rolling chasis given to me, so i'm kinda rebuilding it from the ground up.

eta wait, diesel in a CJ, what have you got going on in that thing?

Haha, a diesel CJ, yea its gonna be a project. Hoping to get a 4bt to put in it, i know some mods are in order, but from what i've read its doable.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94