Gen2 overheating when driving slow hills

My money is still on a head issue. But wire a switch for the fan, so you can turn on and off at will, including when engine is off. Regardless that will be just a band aid.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The AC is usually on, a few times it has gotten hot and I cranked the heater up, but that didn't seem to drop the temp. I ordered the Volvo 960 fan/shroud lastnight and the 2-speed relay, we will see. I don't have any Mitsubishi dealers near me and I couldn't find an OEM fan clutch on ebay. $196 seems a bit steep on the oem mitsu parts site.

Just a quick FYI, Hayden/Four Seasons build about 70% of the OEM fan clutches on the market and are made in the USA, this is why I mentioned the brands earlier in the thread.

has you tested the coolant for combustion gasses? it could be that you just have a tiny headgasket leak allowing some exhaust to enter the cooling system and for an air pocket

No, I haven't tested for that, it's entirely possible though. For some reason the radiator is still holding pressure and not venting it to the overflow. It sat for 24 hours and I just opened the cap and it spit coolant everywhere. It did this with a brand new cap, and just did it with my old cap. Just doesn't make sense, I think it wants to be sold for scrap.

Just a quick FYI, Hayden/Four Seasons build about 70% of the OEM fan clutches on the market and are made in the USA, this is why I mentioned the brands earlier in the thread.

The OEM montero clutches are Hayden brand? I sent a PM to Toasty a few days ago and he said never ever buy an aftermarket fan clutch.

The condenser fan is spinning, but not particularly fast. I was thinking about wiring it to ignition on so it's always going.

I've seen this before. That ac fan is probably not working at all. The movement you see is probably the airflow from the pulling fans drawing air across the rad and causing the ac fan to spin from just the airflow. Test that ac fan!

This is exactly what mine did when it had the corroded connector, replaced it as seen here http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ded-the-A-C-cooling-fan?highlight=cooling+fan

Thanks for the heads up. The positive wire had a little corrosion on it once I removed the black sealant material. I took a wire brush to it and knocked the corrosion off, the wire is still tight in it's seat. I did find this wire just hanging by the dehydrator though, I couldn't see it until I removed the front bits to get to the fan. Any idea where it goes to? I don't even see anywhere the metal bracket would bolt to.

Disconnected with wire loom removed

Last edited:

toyrunner95

Explorer
So this might be a dumb question. Did you replace the coolant lately? A full flush? sometimes the rad fins can get clogged and not allow circulation. You can get a thermometer from just about any auto parts store. I have a craftsman digital and an old school dial gauge. Neither were over $20. I'm still leaning toward not enough air across the radiator.

I tested the condenser fan and it's bad, won't spin up at all. I have a 12" electric fan I'll be replacing it with, I really hope this was the problem all along.

So this might be a dumb question. Did you replace the coolant lately? A full flush? sometimes the rad fins can get clogged and not allow circulation. You can get a thermometer from just about any auto parts store. I have a craftsman digital and an old school dial gauge. Neither were over $20. I'm still leaning toward not enough air across the radiator.

I flushed the system about 5 times before putting in the new radiator and added fresh 50/50 coolant. I think the problem may have been a bad AC condenser fan that I just found thanks to advice from fellas on here.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
The system should stand alone without that fan. It turns on with AC and is rumored to turn on well past the point of no return when overheating (I don't think it turns on at all except with AC) I wired mine up to a thermostatic switch from Painless and connected it to ground at the fan and engine so my fan turns on and cycles with the system for added cooing airflow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior