48 hr build

positron

HI ALL. Newbie to the Canter fg world but totally addicted now. Long story short. Live and work in China . Chinese wife and new ankle bitter . Families first trip to the land of Oz.Have had a Jeep fc 170 forward control 1965 truck with camper for over 7 years. Awesome truck only problem it has 2 seats. Solution ! Buy a 2001 fg crew cab 4x4 from brisbane sight unseen whilst in China. Hmm Need a box for the back ? Wife has never been camping ! Does it have air con? Does it have a shower? Dose it have a toilet ? Do you know what your doing? Search gumtree for a slide on camper with no luck[ lots of expensive ones ] then at 2 a.m after much beer BAM ..... Slide on camper / air con ac. shower /toilet . 95% complete must sell,so cheap must be crap. ...... Wife says i like that one. O.K buy site unseen. 2 days later land in Brisbane.DAY 1> OMG what did i buy? Canter is covered in Black crap from the over head exhaust . Engine must be dead.$$$$$$$. . negotiate on the price ( cash is king) . Offer 2/3 the price . Done. Drive to look at slide-on camper for the first time. Can't get money from my pocket quick enough. Built by a bus/ coach builder for his parents but never used. Better than the pictures and way more stuff than i expected. OOPS The camper is to long. Hire demolition grinder saw. After 10 mins camper is 800mm shorter but is to narrow for tray with its legs. After a quick discussion with the previous owner use 2 high lift jacks, a few box section bits of steel laying around and the demo saw . throw the truck into reverse[ Pray] accelerate and where on. Cut rear legs off Strap her down and we are away. Not living in Australia im thinking where can i sought this out. Illegally parked in front of my sisters house in inner brisbane seems like the go. Swing by the steel supplier on the way buy lots of 1mm alloy tred deck ,some plywood, some accro props [ for new legs), some box section and some high tensile bolts. Pay my 10 yr old nephew and his mate 20 bucks each to clean the truck while i measure up for day 2. DAY 2> Up at 6a.m Call my mechanic mate to look at the truck. Turns out the exhaust had no flap and was filling up with water. Engine is A1 .150000km He changes all the fluids adjusts the brakes and a quick tune up while i put a new front wall on the camper. Load up with gear and supplies. Glue some checker plate over the camper and some doors for the no longer cab over section. Load the wife and ankle biter at 10 p.m . Drive 5 hrs to a 3 day rave party in the bush and party party party. 2 months later and 12000 km we get back on a plane to China. AWESOME TIMES. Pictures to come.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Thanks Martin. Keen to see more. Bet it wasn't easy working on the footpath!! Regards John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior