Battery Recommenation?

228B

Observer
^ ^ ^ and quality construction costs more due to technique and materials.
Very doubtful that Walmart battery is 122Ah with a shipping weight of 61lbs.
I with 4x4... can't have capacity without the lead... unless you'd like to spend $900 for a lithium-ferrous/ferrite/whatever-phosphate battery! Holy Schneike! those things are expensive... but I digress.
As valuable a post as it was, our esteemed! colleague 4x4junkie overlooked a considerable attribute of an AGM type battery: it does not outgas. An AGM can be installed in a confined space without the need for venting. It's presence will not lead to corrosion or other decay of sensitive electronic components such as inverters, etc. An AGM is "non-spillable" and can be mounted in any orientation, although Odyssey, for example, suggests one avoid mounting inverted.
True, you get more volts for yer buck with a good flooded-cell deep cycle battery, but the advantages of an AGM make their purchase and use worthwhile for me. In fact, I'm hooked on Odysseys... you could call me "AGMjunkie"! lol. (if Odyssey were not available, I'd use Lifeline batteries).

Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
OK so I understand what a raging disappointment this will be :) but I took my lunch hour and headed to my local Advanced Auto. They had in stock this: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...6-P?navigationPath=L1*14920|L2*15000|L3*15601
I went ahead and used a $20 discount code + another discount code + turned in an old starter battery from my daughter's Accord and walked out paying less than $100. 210 reserve capacity. I was on the verge of purchasing a Sears Die Hard Platinum 31M for $310, but when I found this I thought what the hell. Worst case it lives for a year or so and then when there has not been so much $ going out the door, I will upgrade.

Picked it up at lunch, shot home, dropped it in the camper battery box and we are all good. The battery box is only housing the battery and some 12v outlets, so should be no worries. Not planning on any high speed washboard or any rock crawling, so I think the vibration dampening capability of an AGM might have been overkill for me. At the least, I undertstand more about 12v systems now and another decision down.

Testing begins tonight when fridge arrives, Maiden voyage next week :)

John

4x4junkie

Explorer
As valuable a post as it was, our esteemed! colleague 4x4junkie overlooked a considerable attribute of an AGM type battery: it does not outgas. An AGM can be installed in a confined space without the need for venting. It's presence will not lead to corrosion or other decay of sensitive electronic components such as inverters, etc. An AGM is "non-spillable" and can be mounted in any orientation, although Odyssey, for example, suggests one avoid mounting inverted.

You are correct, AGMs don't gas under normal use, If you are unable to put the battery outside the vehicle (under the hood or floor, in the truck bed, etc.) and must put it inside the passenger area, an AGM could make sense if said passenger area is exceptionally airtight. I will also say the amount of gassing from a flooded battery that uses lead-calcium plates (usually one carrying the "Maintenance-Free" label) is exceptionally small, though it is not quite zero. However both lead-calcium FLA and AGM can still gas significantly if the battery is overcharged due to a charging system malfunction, so mounting of either one in tiny unvented spaces (unvented battery box, etc.) is never a good idea.

What I cannot recall seeing more times than I can count on one hand however is a battery of any type that is mounted in any position other than straight up, so that is something I don't put much weight on. If your specific case requires you mount your battery in an unusual position, then indeed the obvious choice would be AGM.

zelatore

Explorer
In my world i install lots of deep cycle batteries. Did 7 group 31s this week. None of them were that old but they were dead, dead, dead. Why? Because nobody ever checks the water in batteries any more and deep cycle flooded batteries are not maintenence free.

That detail alone makes me recommend AGM for my clients. Yeah they cost about twice as much but given how bad most are with maintenence they end up getting much better service life out of even cheep AGMs.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
In my world i install lots of deep cycle batteries. Did 7 group 31s this week. None of them were that old but they were dead, dead, dead. Why? Because nobody ever checks the water in batteries any more and deep cycle flooded batteries are not maintenence free.

That detail alone makes me recommend AGM for my clients. Yeah they cost about twice as much but given how bad most are with maintenence they end up getting much better service life out of even cheep AGMs.

That is a good reminder to make sure to do the regular maintenance.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Set up did well for our week long shakedown trip. Battery will hold, running lights and Indel B fridge, for at least a couple days. Charged well connected to jeep while traveling and topped up easy with our Harbor Freight 45w panels when we had access to sun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles