5 Nights on the Alpine Loop

stioc

Expedition Leader
Awesome pics. We'll be there in two weeks for our first time, I'm really looking forward to it. Any suggestions on the campsites? we were planning to start at Engineer Pass go to Lake City and camp nearby then head down to Cinnamon Pass and out through Silverton.

BTW, are gun laws there the same for non-residents as for the residents of CO? I'd like to bring a handgun just in case- no plans to do any plinking etc.

Chili

Explorer
Awesome pics. We'll be there in two weeks for our first time, I'm really looking forward to it. Any suggestions on the campsites? we were planning to start at Engineer Pass go to Lake City and camp nearby then head down to Cinnamon Pass and out through Silverton.

BTW, are gun laws there the same for non-residents as for the residents of CO? I'd like to bring a handgun just in case- no plans to do any plinking etc.

Do your own research to validate but open carry is legal in CO and they honor most other state CHLs. They do have magazine capacity restrictions (15rds) but I'm not sure if that is just for purchase or possession. Handgunlaw.us is a good resource. I like the spots between Engineer and Lake City best, and there are a number, but if arriving Thursday through Sunday your options will be more limited, especially the closer you get to town. It's really hard to go wrong up there. We've stayed in 4 different spots over the years and have enjoyed each one for slightly different reasons.

The spot we stayed in is at about 11,000' and was right on a rushing portion of Henson Creek. There are 3 or 4 right in that area and they are actually a little off the loop (it's above them). Look up Co Rd 20x on Google maps (satellite view), look for the water crossing / intersection, and that is where several sites are.

Last edited:

upndown

Adventurer
I've headed for those trails on a few different occasions. Can't seem to get past the fishing holes along the way. Maybe some day! Haha

Chili

Explorer
I've headed for those trails on a few different occasions. Can't seem to get past the fishing holes along the way. Maybe some day! Haha

Haha! I'm not much of a fisherman myself, and have never tried fly-fishing, but can certainly see your point.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Do your own research to validate but open carry is legal in CO and they honor most other state CHLs. They do have magazine capacity restrictions (15rds) but I'm not sure if that is just for purchase or possession. Handgunlaw.us is a good resource. I like the spots between Engineer and Lake City best, and there are a number, but if arriving Thursday through Sunday your options will be more limited, especially the closer you get to town. It's really hard to go wrong up there. We've stayed in 4 different spots over the years and have enjoyed each one for slightly different reasons.

The spot we stayed in is at about 11,000' and was right on a rushing portion of Henson Creek. There are 3 or 4 right in that area and they are actually a little off the loop (it's above them). Look up Co Rd 20x on Google maps (satellite view), look for the water crossing / intersection, and that is where several sites are.

Thanks for the tips, we'll try to find a spot between Engineer pass and Lake City. I did see the handgunlaw.us link and a few other CO specific sites but couldn't find the answer to my question, they usually talk about the concealed carry reciprocity but I don't have a CC permit, I live in CA afterall lol. I'll probably just call the Sherriff's office there.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Haha! I figured you were probably on here. We actually passed your camp later that day, on our way back up to our camp site (we had stopped in town at our friend's place for showers, then had some Poker Alice pizza for dinner). I like that spot you guys were in but we usually stay higher up around Mile marker 15 (near Rose's Cabin). I would have stopped to chat some more but the wife wanted to get back up the mountain and get the fire started.

Ya we were actually "working" on that trip doing gps routes and mapping. Good fun though! We'll be publishing the route in a couple issues from now in overland journal. Ya that campsite was alright but definitely not planned. We just happened to feel hungry near there and pulled off.

Stioc - We didnt camp near lake city but if youre heading that way be sure to stop in great american basin. Can't beat the wildflowers there. Be sure to go all the way up until the road ends in the parking lot. It continues to get more spectacular.

Chili

Explorer
Ya we were actually "working" on that trip doing gps routes and mapping. Good fun though! We'll be publishing the route in a couple issues from now in overland journal. Ya that campsite was alright but definitely not planned. We just happened to feel hungry near there and pulled off.

Stioc - We didnt camp near lake city but if youre heading that way be sure to stop in great american basin. Can't beat the wildflowers there. Be sure to go all the way up until the road ends in the parking lot. It continues to get more spectacular.

American Basin is always one of the highlights of the trip. Climbing that waterfall (below the upper parking lot) is fun as well..

A couple pics from 2009.. Flowers were really blooming when we went that year:
10398436_1183707267305_3844458_n.jpg

Pic is too small to see us, but we are in there somewhere. :p
10398436_1183707347307_4466807_n.jpg

From 2012 (not as many flowers that year)..
320360_3770518815977_468925090_n.jpg

544374_3770518735975_164046034_n.jpg

553216_3770519295989_1287452547_n.jpg

ab1985

Explorer
Cool trip. My daughter and I camped just downstream of you guys that Monday night (pop top Land Cruiser).

stingray1300

Explorer
Heading that way in about 4 weeks. Your pictures just make me want to leave right now!
*Does anybody KNOW where the Animas River got polluted yesterday by those moronic EPA workers? Animas, the main water source for many communities, is now ORANGE with heavy metals from a gold mine spill.
Any authentic word? (so bummed!) :-(

stioc

Expedition Leader
Wow, ok, American Basin is now on the list- thanks guys! :) We'll be there Mon-Thu (planning to check out Alpine Loop, Yankee Boy Basin, Last Dollar Rd, Imogene Pass and possibly a quick stop in Mesa Verde and Four corners- we just don't have enough time :(

anviljk

Adventurer
What's the camping requirements here or can you camp wherever? Ever since seeing the post about the easterner taking 24hrs to drive to CO for two weeks got me thinking about heading out that way next year.

Chili

Explorer
What's the camping requirements here or can you camp wherever? Ever since seeing the post about the easterner taking 24hrs to drive to CO for two weeks got me thinking about heading out that way next year.

As long as you are on public land camping is open and at no cost. It is suggested / recommended / requested that you use existing fire rings only. The only specific rule i know of is the14 day limit. There is some private land peppered in there but there are usually signs. Basically, if it looks like someone has camped there before, you should be good to go.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Awesome pics!

As for the full size truck, I saw a lot of full size vehicles out there. Mostly crew cabs with short beds. I think with proper driving skills it shouldn't be an issue.

I miss that part of the US...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94