Got to get my camper higher....ideas?

msasso

I just upgraded from a Dodge Dakota to a 2015 Chevy Silverado and I am seeing some issues with getting my Skamper pop up truck camper on it.. First the bed is much deeper than on my dakota and the roof height is higher. Net Net , I need to accommodate this by putting a 6"-7" spacer under the floor of the camper so That it will be high enough to clear the rails of the truck bed and the roof of the truck.
My jacks are about maxed out on height..... any ideas on how I might be able to more easily lift the camper without having to put the jacks on some kind of pedestal?

kerry

Expedition Leader
I used some scrap pieces of 6x6 lumber I had laying around, tying two pieces together with a piece of plywood on the top and bottom to get enough height to fit our camper in the Fuso service body. I built a floor in the service body using 2x6's with plywood on top and put an access door on the back so I could store stuff under there--the jacks in particular.

tarditi

Explorer
Easiest is to borrow taller jacks, but to use what you have make a jack crib for max stability (alternating rows, overhead looks sort of like a # ) - like a stack of jenga blocks.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Easiest is to borrow taller jacks, but to use what you have make a jack crib for max stability (alternating rows, overhead looks sort of like a # ) - like a stack of jenga blocks.

This is what I have to do for my Bigfoot to take it on/off the Fuso. It's kind of scary having that big a weight that high up on 4 spindly little legs.

You can buy extension for titan jacks online. That is what I had to do for my F250. I believe SLO 250 fabricated something similar to what I bought but I don't have the skills or equipment to make them. You can also buy metal blocks to extend the jack further away from the body of the truck. I had to get those as well. It was money well spent since I feel much safer loading and unloading the camper now.

jrod420

Observer
There is also metal three leg jack extensions that stabalize the camper alot while lifting. I have them, they are the ****.

Umtaneum

Adventurer
We welded permanent extensions on the Titan jacks on my old Bigfoot when the new F350 maxed them out. Combined with a 5" thick 'basement' that we made out of plywood to get the cabover part high enough for the deeper bed, it worked for several years.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
What if you made a strong drawer system to go in the bed and your camper sits on that? Tons of storage underneath would make more room in the camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles