Jeep WK2 Build

office2overland

Great looking Jeep! I really like the custom mounting solution you have in the back. Have you found that the stock latch for tire cover board is strong enough to hold everything in place securely or have you strengthened it somehow?

kmlacroix

Explorer
How do you like the DuraTracks? I will be in the need for new tires very soon.

This is very similar to what I am planning with my WK2. Only have the slider for now.

esierens

Great looking Jeep! I really like the custom mounting solution you have in the back. Have you found that the stock latch for tire cover board is strong enough to hold everything in place securely or have you strengthened it somehow?

I have ran some very rocky trails, and bounced more than I like, but the fridge never budged. I know it is not a bulletproof solution and the cover/latch is the weak point, but so far it works perfectly. No mod to the cover or latch they are stock.

esierens

How do you like the DuraTracks? I will be in the need for new tires very soon.

This is very similar to what I am planning with my WK2. Only have the slider for now.

Only had them for a week or two. I just returned from running a moderate trail here in CO. They are low noise and seemed to do well on the rocky terrain. I will post more as my experience grows with them.

muddyluxury

Observer
what size wheel and tire did you end up going with? I have been looking at 18s with a plus half over stock tire but was worried about rubbing, we like to use sport mode around town to get some engine braking off the trans.

esierens

what size wheel and tire did you end up going with? I have been looking at 18s with a plus half over stock tire but was worried about rubbing, we like to use sport mode around town to get some engine braking off the trans.

They are 275/65/18 Duratracs on Mopar 18" rims. I have no clearance issues at any setting including exit. I have also been on some intermediate rocky trails and again no issues. Im very pleased with the fit and performance.

muddyluxury

Observer
Only had them for a week or two. I just returned from running a moderate trail here in CO. They are low noise and seemed to do well on the rocky terrain. I will post more as my experience grows with them.

I had DuraTrac's on my GC when I sold her, I put dynatrac on my xterra and I am not sure what will go on this GC. But the duratracs did me better than my MTRs did. Quiet running and fantastic on snow and slush. Plus side they come pre-drilled for tire studs.

I'm just not sure if the expense of the tires will be worth on this rig - they are hands down the tire of choice if you plan to wheel your rig and don't want your fillings loosened and kidney stones broken up at highway cruise.

esierens

I assume that these are Mac's tie downs? Can you post a link to which exactly they are? Did they come pre-drilled and cut to length for the holes?
Also, I wonder if one could secure a slide to them easily, that would be sweet.

Thanks,
Matus

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/versatie-aluminum-track-series1-96/VersaTie

I sent the measurements for length and hole offset to fit the WK2. They have it on file if you call them, ask for Kevin. I think they were about $150 for 4 rails plus various anchors that I ordered. Not sure on the slider, I'm sure something could be worked out. The weak point is in the false floor and latch. I'm building a new one that is stronger and more secure. PM me if you need addition info for them to find my order, but should be able to look it up by the Jeep model and year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior