IMG_0171.jpg

DeLorme inReach Explorer Satellite Communicator with RAM mount

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

Default ICOM ID5100A 2Meter Radio with cupholder mount

IMG_0202.jpg

Last edited:

pinetar

Love seeing another True Blue WK2 going off road and with style!

How are you liking the GOBI rack so far?

esierens

I have had a few racks on other trucks in the past, but I have to say that so far, this is the best system I have owned.

echo7tango

Road tripping, overlanding
Nice, especially the Gobi rack. How about your 20" wheels, do you plan to keep or change those?

pinetar

I have had a few racks on other trucks in the past, but I have to say that so far, this is the best system I have owned.

Why are you liking it more over others you've had?

I've been keeping the GOBI in mind, but found a rack that Frontrunner makes for the WK2 that has been enticing me too. Mostly because it has more accessory options to add on, but I'm still not sold on it quite yet.

The GOBI just looks a bit more streamlined with the WK2 roof and is probably better for aerodynamics (gas + wind noise).

esierens

Nice, especially the Gobi rack. How about your 20" wheels, do you plan to keep or change those?

The 20s will be changed out for a 17s or 18s. I need research proper offset and max size tire. There is a lot of information about this, just need to read up.

esierens

Why are you liking it more over others you've had?

I've been keeping the GOBI in mind, but found a rack that Frontrunner makes for the WK2 that has been enticing me too. Mostly because it has more accessory options to add on, but I'm still not sold on it quite yet.

The GOBI just looks a bit more streamlined with the WK2 roof and is probably better for aerodynamics (gas + wind noise).

To be fair, most of my past “Racks” have really been baskets sitting on top of stock or aftermarket rail systems(Thule/Yakima). The closest comparison to Gobi for me, would be the Garvin Wilderness rack I had on my TJ and ZJ Jeeps. I like the fact that the Gobi has a steel mesh floor in modules that can be removed for the sunroof opening. It also fits my needs for the type of lighting(LED bar). With the exception of the Wilderness rack, the other systems with the basket sat up much higher and accessibility was reduced due to the addition hight. The Wilderness rack severed me well for years, but the craftsmanship, build quality, and finish coatings of the Gobi rack exceed both my previous baskets and the Wilderness systems. It is my opinion that visually, the Gobi rack looks to be more integrated, and has a smooth continuity from front to back. Again, this is just a few points of comparison from racks I have owned. I know there are many quality units on the market.

I was also looking at the Frontrunner, it has a lot of flexibility as well. What sealed the deal for me, was that Gobi is a local Colorado company. I was able to visit them and was even put in contact with a previous customer with a installed rack, the guy was nice enough to meet me and I was able to experience the system first hand. It was very reassuring knowing what to expect right down to the wind noise(very little BTW).

Last edited:

pinetar

To be fair, most of my past “Racks” have really been baskets sitting on top of stock or aftermarket rail systems(Thule/Yakima). The closest comparison to Gobi for me, would be the Garvin Wilderness rack I had on my TJ and ZJ Jeeps. I like the fact that the Gobi has a steel mesh floor in modules that can be removed for the sunroof opening. It also fits my needs for the type of lighting(LED bar). With the exception of the Wilderness rack, the other systems with the basket sat up much higher and accessibility was reduced due to the addition hight. The Wilderness rack severed me well for years, but the craftsmanship, build quality, and finish coatings of the Gobi rack exceed both my previous baskets and the Wilderness systems. It is my opinion that visually, the Gobi rack looks to be more integrated, and has a smooth continuity from front to back. Again, this is just a few points of comparison from racks I have owned. I know there are many quality units on the market.

I was also looking at the Frontrunner, it has a lot of flexibility as well. What sealed the deal for me, was that Gobi is a local Colorado company. I was able to visit them and was even put in contact with a previous customer with a installed rack, the guy was nice enough to meet me and I was able to experience the system first hand. It was very reassuring knowing what to expect right down to the wind noise(very little BTW).

Awesome. Thank you for the in depth response!

I think your opinion may have sealed the deal for the GOBI rack for my WK2 as well.

*Dig the Icom radio too! I need to get my mobile outfit finished up as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94