Awning or shelter at the back of pickup

Dozer Dan

Observer
I have a Defender pickup with a canvas back. The problem is using it when raining.
I am trying to find some kind of solution to cover the cooking area/loading area/everything-area. It has to be quick to set up so I can just stop road side for a cuppa.
Any suggestions???

A35F58C4-DD56-440D-BEFF-11DD6D90641F_zpsfkb6isac.jpg

tarditi

Explorer
Make one. 4x4 or so panel of waterproofed fabric and 2 telescoping poles to hold it up, similar to the window flaps on a RTT.
It could attach under your rear panel with velcro, straps or ties to your rear top bar, and removed/stowed when not needed longer term.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Can you get a pop-up in Ireland? They're plentiful and cheap on this side of the Atlantic. Free standing so no need for poles or guy wires, and one person can put one up or take one down in less than 2 minutes.
This is what I'm talking about:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...7951&catargetid=120138600003189288&cadevice=c
We have one (actually we have several) that we use when camping. They're great for our teardrop because we can put one up over the galley and be able to cook even in the rain.
EDITED TO ADD: Sometimes called an "Easy-up" or "EZ-up" although I think that's actually a brand name. ;)

rayra

Expedition Leader
Easy to make one. I'm in the middle of such a project. Ordering my last batch of fabric tomorrow.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...eas-for-a-lightweight-compact-flexible-design

eta - easy to make a rectangular or trapezoidal panel, a 'hoop' of metal electrical conduit made of three pieces hinged together. The cross bar threaded thru the far edge of the awning, two shorter legs sized to socket into small brackets or holes or pins on the corner ends of the rear bumper, such that the whole structure leans out over your tailgate area. A couple cords at the hoop hinge corners stretched out and down to the ground, staked.
When you are packing up you do it last, pull the stakes, fold the hoop legs in and up against the cross bar, roll the whole thing up with the conduit in the center, like a window blind, use the trailing cords to tie up the ends and tie it to the tope end of the roof. Deploys in <2mins, puts away in <2mins.

eta 2 better yet make it an extension panel for your rear flap and use it, you'll have a skylight. Attach with snaps. Lap the joint such that it sheds water like a shingle roof.

Last edited:

Dozer Dan

Observer
Martin, we have them over here. We call them Gazebos. I've had a few in the past. They have all been a pain to put up and to take down. 2 people 15-20 min. and they have been very susceptible to wind damage. Might be worth looking at this option again if there are ones on the market you can put up in 2 min. I will check the usual places here and see what they stock at the moment.

Rayra, I read about your build. Interesting idea. I'm thinking and measuring and thinking some more about what to do. I will follow your thread!

colorado matt

Adventurer
automobrella.com ...... or some such contraption .... seems quick and easy ... and I bet could be fabbed up cheaper than 200 bucks ... I have a 12 foot umbrella that I am trying to work in somewhere

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Here is what I use on my Bronco. Its a US military surplus issue pup tent/shelter. Its the perfect size for my bronco. I just had to make some poles out of PVC. The canvas is water resistant and tough enough to handle some decent winds. The pup tent comes in halves so you only need to buy half the tent to make what you want. If you buy two though, you can use the other half as a wind break. As a bonus, the panels actually match your paint scheme. You can look through my build thread for more details, but here are some pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

rayra

Expedition Leader
pup tent / shelter half is a great idea as its triangular ends are a nice match for the side flap shape needed. And they are widely / commonly available. And just the sort of cantilevered hoop / support I was trying to describe.

but they are bulky, dank and they almost always stink of mildew. Three yards of new very lightweight water resistant silnylon cost about the same ~~$30USD. And will wad up smaller than your fist. Smallest you'll get a shelter half rolled up is about the size of a large loaf of sliced sandwich bread.

Last edited:

Dozer Dan

Observer
I have been looking around the web and this is getting trickier by the minute.

The initial idea was just to get some cover over my head. I like the idea of a garden parasol, simple and to the point.
71WXrurkf7L._SL1500_.jpg

Then was checking Amazon for some more for-purpose tailgate covers. And they are pretty cool.
71vOFc6XclL._SL1100_.jpg

71%2BVuzWqNOL._SL1500_.jpg

But then you cannot help but think, what if they had sides as well so they would be even better for windy rainy evenings!
And then you are looking at SUV tents!
1336420446_Sportz-SUV-Tent-81000.jpg

But there is no way I will put that up when just stopping for a cup of tea. Too much work.

So I am back at the instant-up gazebos. I have been googling and as long as you are 2 people you really erect them in 2 minutes. Most come with sides as well so if you feel like it you can put sides up.
The drawback to these is their size. Fortunately I have a massive amount of space in the back so size is just not a problem. I have been looking and I'm sure one side could be modified into a sock kind of jobby to "connect" to the vehicle just like the SUV tents.

I am going to trawl the net some more for some more stupid ideas!

Last edited:

joelbert

Adventurer
hoop idea

Seems like a simple hoop (poles in tension, side to side). Two of these with fabric in between, one stays with the truck bed and the other is rotated/extended outward/staked would work.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Gonna have to sketch it to sell the idea I guess... be right back

eta
Rover%20tailgate%20awning_zpsgo15nyuy.jpg

Adding a simple stay cord from the corner of the hoop to say the stirrup step and tightening it to draw the awning fabric tight.

When not in use you just fold the support legs against the top bar and roll it up inside the extension panel. And some ties and you tie the bundle inside your windowed cover, and it's all out of sight. Goes up or stores in just a minute or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier