Acer Cloudbook announced

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/acer-aspire-one-cloudbook-announced,29744.html

Acer just announced a very inexpensive Windows 10 laptop line. They're called Aspire One Cloudbooks. While the specs sound like they're from 1995 (11 or 14 inch screen with 1366x768 resolution, Celeron N3050 processor), they do sport 2 GB RAM. Also included are an HDMI port, USB 3 and USB 2 ports, and a full size SD card slot.

Local storage memory is very limited (16 or 32 GB for the 11 inch model, up to 64 GB for the 14 inch screen). Acer includes a one year subscription to Office 365 and 1 TB of OneDrive storage (an $84 value).

The price? $169 for 11 inch screen with 16 GB storage; $189 for 11 inch screen, 32 GB; and $199 for 14 inch screen with 32 GB storage.

Acer calls these Cloudbooks because they're priced and equipped like Google's Chromebooks. The difference is that a Chromebook is a simplified computing experience, while the Cloudbook is a full-on Windows 10 laptop. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing depends on who will be using the computer (and who will be supporting the user).

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I like.

I've had an Acer netbook for years, as well as an HP netbook. I use them both pretty much daily. I bought the Acer for its low power consumption - 9 watts running (w/wifi on), 14w charging - and it's actually a lot higher quality machine than the HP with little extras like snap rings on the hatch screws to make them captive, which the HP doesn't have. It also has almost all the external ports on the left side, which leaves nothing sticking out the right in the way of an external mouse (which I use). The HP has more ports on the right than the left.

My only problems with the machine in haven's link would be the keyboard and the touchpad. Both of my netbooks have full-size keys, and I just can't effectively use smaller keys. Also that oversize touchpad might be a problem for me - I already have a problem with the meat where my thumb meets the palm bouncing off the touchpad and shifting focus all over the place (irritating as hell), which is why I use an external mouse. I think that bigger touchpad would just make the problem worse.

Still, I have to say I've always been mighty impressed with Acer's quality and thoughtful design.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's an article that advises avoiding the Cloudbook (or any Windows 10 model, I think) with only 16 GB storage memory.
http://www.umpcportal.com/2015/08/a...-version-and-its-not-a-chromebook-competitor/

Fortunately, the model with 32 GB is only $20 more.

Even 32 GB of storage is tight. Here are some ways to squeeze more usable space out of 32 GB. The article talks about Windows 8.1, so there may be differences with Windows 10.
http://www.umpcportal.com/2014/04/how-to-survive-with-32gb-storage-on-windows-8-1-tablets/

LoneSniper

The difference is that a Chromebook is a simplified computing experience,
Don't knock Chromebooks or believe the negative press. I've owned one for last 18 months and use it for work and play. 95% of what we now use a computer for is done online so they are perfect for this. It's great to travel with as light, inexpensive and has good battery life. They make for decent media playback machines too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would not go with a win10 machine without at least 128gb of space. I am pushing it with 64gb in my vivotab. That being said, I am a fan of acer notebooks, I have a bunch and they work great. The chromebooks are actually interesting as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online