Perfect Margarita

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
Attached is a picture of the Tequila NOT to use for a Margarita![/QUOTE]

I think probably the smoothest I've ever had.

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
Joaquin Suave said:
I was thinking of flying into Guatalajara, then getting a rental car and doing a Tequila expedition some time soon...Any care to join me?

When I was living in Guadalajara about 5 years ago, I made a trip out to the town of Tequila (in the state of Jalisco). I got to tour the Herradura hacienda. Definitely worthwhile -- and a tasty sampling of many of their fine tequilas at the end of the tour. I remember seeing that Sauza & Cuervo had plants there as well, along with a few more. After being there, I definitely appreciate being able to sip on a nice tequila. I don't get why most Americans just want to do "tequila shots."

Oh yeah -- and as for Margaritas -- they definitely need to be a good mixture of tequila, triple sec, and lime juice. One secret way to stay hydrated while drinking margaritas on a hot summer day is to make them with lemon/lime Gatorade.

:beer:

91xlt

Adventurer
THE DEVIL HAS A HOLD OF ALL OF YOU!!!
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
did i mention:beer: :beer: :beer:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I'm with DesertRose on this one -

When we were up in Taos had one of the best served margaritas ( desertgirl will remember the place those details always leave me after a couple [breathes] :) - it was a nice full short-glass of Patron Silver with a splash of fresh squeezed lime - over cracked ice - first one just wet the whistle for the others...

Damn I like talking about Tequila almost as much as I like to drink it - now wheres that Tequila smiley face when you need it :coffee:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
BajaTaco said:
It makes my heart happy to see that no blender or bottled mixes have been offered up in a recipe yet :) You people are the best :bowdown:

You mean like the other day when my sister-in-law was all excited and could not stop talking about the, and I appologise in advance:eek: , "Frozen Margarita In-A-Bucket"
that she found at, oh this is painful:smilies27 , "Bed Bath & Beyond"!:xxrotflma

I politely declined the offer of a refreshing cup of such a glorious nectar :eek:rngartis

And had a trusy 'ol beer instead! :beer:

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Hey Scott - the true interests of Expedition Portal's members have now come to the fore - the proof? We've run out of liquor-themed emoticons!

[Okay, okay - McVick started it - I just have to share one more liquor horror story: Jonathan and I met at a bar - whoops, that's not the horror part, that's the good part - and it was this great place near downtown Tucson where the gnarly old reporters, blue collar city workers, and somewhat seamy side of downtown hung out to drink real booze and play pool. About 10 years went by during which we didn't visit, and then on a whim we stopped by one day for a nostalgic drink . . . and THE HORROR, it had transformed into a frat bar! How did I know, since it was mostly empty at the time? The too-well-groomed barkeep was wearing a POLO shirt and was younger than I, for one (should have tipped me off), and when I ordered a 12-year-old Balvenie double-cask neat, he said (I kid you not): do you want a beer chaser? insert barfing emoticon here]

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
DesertRose said:
Hey Scott - the true interests of Expedition Portal's members have now come to the fore - the proof? We've run out of liquor-themed emoticons!

Now THAT is funny!:D

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
BajaTaco said:
by any chance was it the Buffet?

YIKES! Not the Buffet (generally us girls didn't go into the Buffett without several sidearms :gunt:!, a pitbull, and at least one 250-pound no-neck male friend).

BUT it was a block and half away: The Shanty.

As far as I know, the Buffet is just as gnarly as ever. In fact, at least two homicides in or around its vicinity in the last year.

At the Buffet, it's definitely not the alcohol that could kill you!

Oh wait - wait - another drinking anecdote - this one involving driving, so it is apropos: one night after many rounds and many games of pool at The Shanty, our good mutual friend Michael (who introduced us at The Shanty) was too far gone to drive home by car, so he and our friend Warren did the right thing: they decided to take out their bikes and bike home - only danger to themselves, right? Well, laughing and weaving all over the place, they GOT PULLED OVER BY A COP! Who proceeded to try to ticket them for drunk and disorderly!! I guess the cop gave up 'cause Michael and Warren were laughing so hard they couldn't even answer his questions . . .

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
DesertRose said:
YIKES! Not the Buffet (generally us girls didn't go into the Buffett without several sidearms :gunt:!, a pitbull, and at least one 250-pound no-neck male friend).

Home of the JUMBO :D So the buffet is back to it's roots?? Last time I was there it had been "discovered" and I think there may have even been lines forming to get in :rolleyes: I had some good times there :)

DesertRose said:
...BUT it was a block and half away: The Shanty.

I should have gone with my split-second, gut-feeling, first guess... which was in fact, the Shanty. I think you may have also mentioned that you had some history there, of which some recollection was laying discarded amongst the cobwebs in the back of me melon. But you had said "blue collar city employees" so that kind of threw me off... I wasn't a regular, but the times I was in there it seemed a little different. Man, I loved that patio! Very fun.

******** at the bicycles... :p

So how about the Bashful Bandit? Now there is an iconic fixture of Old Pueblo nostalgia :D Another fun place to wander into when you get a wild hair :gunt:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
There was a article about the 'bandit (I think...) in the UA paper a couple months ago. It is the latest local hang out for the college kids. Seems the owner retired and gave the business to his son (who is a business major at UA).

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I'm sorry to revive a nearly 4 year old thread, but I have to.

I like margaritas made from scratch, anything made with a mixer or in a bucket is crap. My personal favorite tequila is Patron Silver, it is so smooth and flavorful without giving you the gaggy "get super drunk" alcohol kick.

But rather than a margarita, I like to drink a Mexican Martini which anyone from Austin can tell you is a food group in its own. I've tried different recipes that use sweet 'n sour mix and different things but this one is my favorite. Salt the rim of a martini glass and drop in an olive or two, I prefer jalapeno stuffed olives. Then mix equal portions of 100% agave tequila, Contreau*, fresh squeezed lime juice, orange juice (fresh squeezed is best), and sprite or 7 up. Shake well, pour, and serve.

*I actually make my own mock-Contreau. Dissolve 3 cups sugar into 2 cups of water over medium heat (a simple syrup) and let it cool. In a large jar with a lid, stir the zest, juice, and pulp of two oranges into a quart of 80 proof vodka (Tito's is my favorite [also from Austin], but for stuff like this I usually get the cheapest stuff), and stir in the simple syrup very very well. Let this sit for 2 weeks, shaking every day. Strain out the solid parts and re-bottle it and enjoy! This is great because it is pretty darn close to the real thing and you probably won't have much more than 10 bucks into a huge jug of it, but a smaller bottle of real Contreau is over $20.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior