Perfect Margarita

Abel Villesca

Explorer
The recipe I always use is:

1/2 (ounce, cup, gallon, whatever) tequila
1/4 (ounce, cup, gallon, whatever) triple sec
1/3 (ounce, cup, gallon, whatever) lime juice or sweetened lime juice depending on your taste preferences.

It makes a great simple margarita.

Cheers,

pint

Adventurer
Fill glass with ice. 2 shots of Patron Silver, squeeze/throw in a couple limes. Sit by fire and enjoy. Make another in 5 - 10 minutes! :sombrero:

higher4hockey

First post guys, nice forum you've got here.

Now to the important stuff!

2 parts tequila
2 parts fresh squeezed lime juice (best to do it all at once, gets dangerous after many margaritas)
1 part cointreau
handful of ice
blender
glass
chair
feet up

:D

James86004

Expedition Leader
I'm sorry to revive a nearly 4 year old thread, but I have to.

I am glad you did, because of this:

*I actually make my own mock-Contreau. Dissolve 3 cups sugar into 2 cups of water over medium heat (a simple syrup) and let it cool. In a large jar with a lid, stir the zest, juice, and pulp of two oranges into a quart of 80 proof vodka (Tito's is my favorite [also from Austin], but for stuff like this I usually get the cheapest stuff), and stir in the simple syrup very very well. Let this sit for 2 weeks, shaking every day. Strain out the solid parts and re-bottle it and enjoy! This is great because it is pretty darn close to the real thing and you probably won't have much more than 10 bucks into a huge jug of it, but a smaller bottle of real Contreau is over $20.

That is really important information!:sombrero:

By the way, my margarita recipe is 2 parts tequila, 1 part lime juice, and 1 part Cointreau if I am wealthy or Triple-Sec if I am poor.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
That is really important information!:sombrero:

I got that recipe out of a book called The Alaskan Bootleggers Bible, there are other orange liqueur recipes and mint liqueur and apple vodka and just about everything you can imagine, plus instructions for wine making and moonshining.

achampagne

Explorer
2 shots of Tarantula tequila
1/2 shot orange triple sec
1 shot lime juice
1/2 shot raspberry liquer

shake or blend!!!

Hands down the best recipe I have ever come up with!

Last edited:

SeaRubi

Explorer
good recipes in here. i have a few tips that may or may not be offensive to some:

a) only use key limes. any other lime will be too harsh. keys are the only way.

b) for your lime portion of the drink, use half roses sweetened lime juice, and 1/2 fresh.

c) I like to tear up a few fresh mint leaves and toss them into the shaker before shaking the drink.

d) shake like hell, then shake it some more.

e) always finish off the drink with a squeeze on a fresh, small wedge and toss it in after it's squeezed. you might need to reduce the lime juice component in the shaker to balance it out; i just prefer the fresh lime floating around on top.

Tequila preference is very personal. I tend to like 1800 reposado for a base tequila. True to the original recipe, I also like to mix my tequila portion as about 1/3 of the drink by volume, with that portion comprised with 2 shots reposado, and 1 shot silver.

For tequila sipping I really like Milagro's single barrel reserve. There are better single barrel tequilas but it's easy to find.

My latest sipper isn't tequila, but it's close cousin, mezcal. I was introduced to mezcal while in NYC, at a fabulous tequila bar named Mayahuel. Co-owner Phil Ward is one of the best bartenders in the country and I had a chance to sit down with him pre-opening to try on several different cocktails and mezcal sippers. If you're in town it's worth a visit - on 6th in East Village, where all the best bars are located.

You can find some of Phil's thoughts on mezcal here:

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/23/getting-comfortable-with-mezcal/

If you're adventurous, look up a few mezcal recipes for cocktails. a margarita it isn't, but the smoky flavor of mezcal can make for a very pleasing drink.

cheers,
-ike,

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I was in town last night and stopped by the liquor store and they had this Jose Cuervo pre-made and bottled margerita made with Jose Cuervo Gold and Triple Sec and some other mixer that I can't remember the name of. It was cheap and I was curious, so I bought it. It was mildly ok, nothing amazing or anything. But it would be something to think about tossing in the cooler before a weekend camping trip.

achampagne

Explorer
4293_1073422913168_1154017402_30178173_5670563_n.jpg

My raspberry marg recipe at eh HUB in Siesta Key, FL. Cheesy smile was free!

djrez4

Adventurer
Mine's a bit more coin-style than traditional marg and, technically, it doesn't involve tequila. I know...blasphemy!

1.5oz Hacienda de Chihuahua Sotol Reposado
1.5oz Damiana Guaycura Liqueur
3oz Fresh lime juice

Pour into a shaker over ice. Shake vigorously. (I mean REALLY beat the crap out of it.) Pour over fresh ice in a tumbler. Serve with a lime wedge.

pkelly72

Adventurer
Simple and quick-

Fill blender with ice.
add some (to taste) frozen lime-aid mix
tequila
triple sec
salt
lime and juice
enjoy

It is what it is.

Forum statistics