Perfect Margarita

articulate

Expedition Leader
Oh, and I've had one mixed with a little orange juice once. That was tasty.

If you're really hardcore you'd just squeeze your own limes and leave the Jimmy Buffett stuff to the urbanites.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
3oz top shelf tequila (the triple distilled Corralejo is nice, without getting *too* expensive...I avoid the Anejo's because they are just to mellow for margarita's)

1.5 oz triplesec

1 fresh squeezed mexican lime (pulp included)

Of course, I gotta cuss at you now, because I don't have any limes or triple-sec. I guess some rum and vanilla coke will have to do.....

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Margaritas are definately good, but I'll take one of these!

148464966_14a8bbf1b5.jpg

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Mario knows the secret... I will not spill the beans, but if you were paying attention on the CB radio during the black mountain trip you know the best recipe in the world!

IMG_0209.jpg

S

Scenic WonderRunner

OK....Wil......!!!!!!!!!

Now you are scaring me!!!!!!!!! ....LOL.............:eek:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
1:1:1 = (33% tequila, 33% Triple Sec, 33% fresh lime juice)

Served over crushed ice...

There is only ONE Margarita, those other drinks are not Margarita's;)

"I interviewed Salvador Negrete, the son of Daniel Negrete, the purported inventor of the Margarita. Salvador says there are many fallacious stories about the origin of the Margarita, such as the one above, but that "this is the true story." The family story goes that Danny opened a bar at the Garci Crispo hotel with his brother, David. The day before his brother's marriage, Daniel presented the Margarita as a wedding present to Margarita, his sister-in-law. Danny combined one-third Triple Sec, one-third Tequila and one-third squeezed Mexican lime juice. The drink was not blended and was served with hand- crushed ice. In perusing the internet, Danny's Negrete is the earliest name credited with creating the worlds most popular cocktail. Salvador describes his father as a quiet "Caballero" who was only angered by one thing. His ire was stirred by the abortions created by blending strawberries, bananas, pinas and other fruits into his beautiful Margarita. He asks that they call these concoctions by some other women's name and let his sister-in-law have her unblemished prize. Danny was born in Mexico City in 1911. In Mexico City, he started what may have been the first bar in Mexico for respectable women. In 1944 he moved to Tijuana and worked as a bartender at Agua Caliente and continued to internationalize his cocktail. He came to Ensenada in 1950 and worked at the Riviera and the San Nicolas Hotel. Salvador learned from his father that the qualities of a good bartender are intelligence, good shoes and dress, clean fingernails and being bilingual. Danny Negrete is world famous and articles about him have appeared in the New York Times and Los Angeles Times. He was invited by many mayors to their cities and was invited to Europe and Hawaii. Today, we pay tribute to the many contributions Mr. Negrete has added to the history, allure, and charm of Mexico. Though there are many contenders, Danny Negrete is most likely to be dubbed "The Father of the First Margarita." Danny was a homeboy until his death five years ago. I think the dude deserves a statue on Mateos."

The Mexican Government recognized Danny Negrete as the inventor of the Margarita.

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
My favorite topic - drinking!

I have 2 "best" margaritas:

I'm a purist with good liquor - no sugary additives. So for best-quality sipping tequila, I prefer it with a dash of limon (the little key-type limes). That's it!

For a "foo-foo" drink, if I have to, I would use a cheaper tequila (a white - why sully a good anejo with syrup?) and then freshly squeezed lime juice, a shot of Cointreau, and a little kosher salt on the rim. Heavy on the tequila, light on the Cointreau, medium on the lime - over cracked but not crushed ice.

And plenty of very hot salsa and tortilla chips.

(PS - A variation that's actually pretty good is to add a very small dash or shot of prickly pear juice - not syrup - to the margarita; gorgeous color, and the tartness compliments the cointreau and lime - very yummy)

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
It makes my heart happy to see that no blender or bottled mixes have been offered up in a recipe yet :) You people are the best :bowdown:

My buddy YukonBob makes a mean margarita. It must have something to do with the "spirit" used. And I'm not talking about the tequila. He just has a knack for adding a bit of Mexico to each glass. :) (that's him behind the beer bottle)...

4wd-party05-02.jpg

4wd-party05-03.jpg

4wd-party05-04.jpg

I like the way Joaquine Suave gets the point across :D Here's a (LINK) to his page.

Joaquin's Margarita Recipe
Take a large tumbler or pint glass and fill with Ice (do not use stemware!).
Salt rim of glass if desired.
Fill glass from 1/2 to 3/4 full of top shelf tequila.
Add a splash of Cuantroy or Triple Sec.
Cut fresh limes (preferably Mexican) into slices
Squeeze approximately 1/2 lime into glass and taste.
Squeeze more limes or add more tequila to adjust.
Stir or shake.
Enjoy! A word of caution, when ordering this margarita at restaurants! Bartenders are trained from birth the pour sweet and sour into a margarita. THIS WILL RUIN YOUR MARGARITA! Be prepared to hit the bartender with a bar stool if he picks up the sweet and sour bottle. I have found that even the most tenacious bartender will take only 2 hits with the bar stool before making this margarita correctly.
[/b][/size][/font]

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Yes, Senor Suave has a way of getting the "no sweet and sour" point across!:xxrotflma

And would you believe that I have still never had the pleasure of having one of Bob's "perfecter margarita's"?!?!?!:(

david despain

Adventurer
you mean you guys dont just pour a bottle of whatever is on sale near the check stand into a bucket you got at target then throw it in the freezer the nite before and scoop it out with a big plastic serving spoon?:hehe:

you know i may not ever be able to quite fit in here as i just dont like tequilia. i dont know why but i cant stand it. i dont have one of those typical horror stories that turns people off of it i just dont like it sorry.:(
but i sure can appriciate the passion with which you approach a drink thats for sure

seth_js

Explorer
From the Casa Azul write-up:

-Recovery tools: Shovel, Breaker bar, Tequila
-Custom cabinet for tequila/shot glass collection

Found that kind of humorous.

-Seth

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles