98 Gen 2.5, putting in Park on a steep slope. Truck not happy.,

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Maybe this is 4x4 101, but I tried putting truck in P on a super steep decline to get out and photograph approach angle. As soon as I let off the brakes and let it rest a little, I heard a noise I've never heard before. I quickly put it back in gear and didn't try it again. What's the deal?

I can't comment on the noise, but when I park on steep incline, I set the parking brake before I put it in P to ease the stress on the drive components.

nckwltn

Explorer
yeah... best to use the parking brake. All of the weight of the vehicle is on the rear diff, transferred into the drive shaft, into the transfer case, and then into the transmission.

Perhaps something is busted in the transmission that locks the tranny into park, causing it to slip when the right amount of force is applied.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
A long long time ago, I was taught this method, and I believe it is the correct method that puts the least possible stress on the drivetrain when parked on inclines:

- Drive the vehicle into position, and bring it to a complete stop with the foot brake
- Hold the vehicle in position with the foot brake, and put the transmission into Neutral/N
- Apply the parking brake just tight enough that it feels like the vehicle will not roll/creep
- Carefully lift your foot off of the foot brake, paying attention to whether or not the vehicle does start to move at all
- If you detect any roll/creep, apply the foot brake fully again, and tighten the parking brake another notch or two as necessary
- Once the vehicle is completely held completely still with the parking brake tight and no foot brake applied, put the transmission into either Park or 1st gear.

This way, the weight of the vehicle is resting on the parking brake. That's why you have a "parking" brake. Putting the transmission into Park or 1st gear is a safety backup, so that if the parking brake was to fail (such as the cable snapping), the transmission will prevent movement of the vehicle.

Take care of your transmission and it will last a long time. The parking brake is a simple mechanism with a cable and brake shoe that is cheap to replace and generally easy to work on. Use the parking brake.

I especially hate to see drivers throw their truck into a forward drive gear while the truck is rolling backwards, or vice versa, or throwing it into Park while the truck is still moving. Such sloppy driving really decreases the life of your drivetrain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior