2007 FG handbrake not holding

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy

unkamonkey

Explorer
On my '92 the Ebrake is on the drive shaft also and I can pull into a gravel pullout and pull on it and slide the rear wheels. I would suspect that the shoes are shot or some internal linkage is off or broken. There's no way I can even move mine much less drive if the Ebrake is in use. Is yours still the driveline type?

pugslyyy

On my '92 the Ebrake is on the drive shaft also and I can pull into a gravel pullout and pull on it and slide the rear wheels. I would suspect that the shoes are shot or some internal linkage is off or broken. There's no way I can even move mine much less drive if the Ebrake is in use. Is yours still the driveline type?

yeah I think I'm going to be taking it off to get a better look at it the next couple of days. It's a tiny brake compared to the one on the Land Rovers. :)

pugslyyy

Have you tried adjusting it? It only takes a minute or two.

I've adjusted the cable but not the pads. From the drawing it looks like a pretty simple manual adjuster. I'll give that a shot before pulling things apart, I'm just pretty sure it is more than that so preparing for the worst. :)

kerry

Expedition Leader
I'd say symptoms are totally consistent with bad adjustment. Had the same symptoms on my 80 Series Land Cruiser. 10 minutes of adjustment and I was back in business.

dtruzinski

Explorer
On my 2004, the service manual has the direction of adjustment backwards...if you adjust according to the instructions and things don't get better, try the opposite direction.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I too have found inaccuracies in my workshop manual.
Given that these manuals are produced by Fuso, I must admit to expecting more.

pugslyyy

I'd say symptoms are totally consistent with bad adjustment. Had the same symptoms on my 80 Series Land Cruiser. 10 minutes of adjustment and I was back in business.

On my 2004, the service manual has the direction of adjustment backwards...if you adjust according to the instructions and things don't get better, try the opposite direction.

Got it, thanks for the help. Hopefully I'll get a chance to check it out later today.

pugslyyy

Were you able to get the driveline brake adjusted?

It's still on my "to do" list, been busy with other projects lately.

I picked up a CNC Mill on craigslist that was 7 years old but had never been used, so have been cleaning, tuning, calibrating, and building stuff for it. It's an interesting challenge - I tend to make things 2 or 3 times before it starts to come out the way I wanted.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94