2007 FG handbrake not holding

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Has anyone else had this issue? I've tried adjusting it several times and nothing seems to make it any better. Any tricks to it?

boostin

Adventurer
I have not had the problem mine works pretty amazing, have you pulled the drum off to make sure you have lining left?

dlh62c

Explorer
Sorry to answer your question with question, but are there brake shoe adjustment ports on the rear drum backing plates?

pugslyyy

I have not had the problem mine works pretty amazing, have you pulled the drum off to make sure you have lining left?

Not yet - pretty sure I have to drop the driveshaft to do that. That's my next step, just wanted to see if there was any tribal knowledge on issues with the parking brake before I start unbolting stuff. :)

boostin

Adventurer
I know I cursed at my drive shaft nuts trying to get them off.

Does the a brake pull up far or just have no holding friction?

pugslyyy

I know I cursed at my drive shaft nuts trying to get them off.

Does the a brake pull up far or just have no holding friction?

No holding friction. The cable is adjusted and pulls tight easily, but the vehicle will roll on even the slightest slope. I guess I need to check the shoe adjuster. Is it possible to check it on the vehicle?

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
Very Basic Old School Drum Brake Adjustment -Likely driven with parking brake on. You can do that at least once without needing new shoes...having done it myself.Fuso Parking Brake Adjustment.jpg

dlh62c

Explorer
Is it possible to check it on the vehicle?

There should be small rubber plugs on the brake backing plates that will need to be popped out. There might be a little arrow stamped in the backing plate
near them.

If your rear brake backing plates are wet with oil, then your axle seals are leaking. No amount of adjusting will make a difference if the shoes are saturated with oil.

Last edited:

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
No holding friction. The cable is adjusted and pulls tight easily, but the vehicle will roll on even the slightest slope. I guess I need to check the shoe adjuster. Is it possible to check it on the vehicle?

I'd also verify that it's pulling tight on the brake end of things, first. Might still be a cable issue. :coffeedrink:Unless of course you've already gotten there, in which case....back to my beer.

pugslyyy

I'd also verify that it's pulling tight on the brake end of things, first. Might still be a cable issue. :coffeedrink:Unless of course you've already gotten there, in which case....back to my beer.

I'm pretty sure it's not a cable issue - the cable was loose and we tightened it, but that didn't fix it.

I'm thinking either pad contamination or driving with the handbrake on.

Starting on a hill without the handbrake is quite a challenge in the FG!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94