DOHC 3.5 Fuel

Just curious, always ran regular unleaded. But in our New under powered 4Runner running regular instead of Mid grade caused a 3MPG mileage loss and power loss. The mileage loss alone wipes out any benefit of cheaper gas. If I recall the DOHC was actually speced for Super Unleaded. Who is running what, and has anyone seen benefits to running Mid grade or Super in a 3.5 DOHC?

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I usually run 87 and my engine is fresh, my MPG's are in spec so I've never tried anything else, any way on purpose for mileage checks.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I usually run 87 and my engine is fresh, my MPG's are in spec so I've never tried anything else, any way on purpose for mileage checks. Wait, are you asking about a 4Runner or a Montero?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Insert dead horse emoticon, plenty of threads discussing the use of premium in the Montero, the search function or google will pull them up.

Well google did not give me anything. I admit to not using the search function as is it never worked on the Wire, fuel would bring up Black Kangaroos as an example.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I haven't had good luck with the search feature here either. Although I'm on an iPhone so maybe it isn't optimized for that. Seems like I've tried keyword searches without success.

PacS14

Adventurer
When on mobile I always select the exact forum I want to search and has worked flawlessly on android dolphin browser.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Well the SOHC and DOHC engines are very different, I think the loss would be noticeable in the DOHC and less so on the SOHC. Having said that i run premium always, run premium for few tanks and see what your results are.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Well the SOHC and DOHC engines are very different, I think the loss would be noticeable in the DOHC and less so on the SOHC. Having said that i run premium always, run premium for few tanks and see what your results are.

I run premium in all of our cars as well, they just seem to run better.

In my SOHC 3.5 sport premium makes no difference.

Because it's not required in the SOHC as mentioned, there are several differences between the dual and single cam engines.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
If you have a 3.5 quad cam motor, you need to be running premium to get the gains of actually having the quad cam engine. end thread right there.

I'll dive in a little deeper here for explanations that will help others.
Running 87 octane in your 6G74 is basically forcing itself to de-tune. Costing you power and torque, which you desperately need if you're on this forum, because you're running larger than stock tires.

This applies to ALL of the 6G74 engines SOHC or DOHC, if they have a knock sensor, they adjust timing based on ping, barometric pressure and other inputs. If you're in doubt, check here to see if your truck has a knock sensor:
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1356713&parttype=5108

This engine is equipped with a knock sensor and aggressive timing maps in the ECU. When you run 87, it detects ping and it retards the timing. In these engines, much like other japanese NA engines of similar era, timing and flow are everything. Advanced timing makes for more power, the farther you can advance timing without getting ping, the more power you make. If you're running 33's and 87 octane, you're probably getting somewhat tolerable MPG's, if you're running 35's you're probably getting pretty bad, so the logic usually says it doesnt matter what you dump into it, it's just going to drink it fast. But that's not true. If you run higher octane, timing advances further, more power and torque is supplied, the engine works less to move those big *** tires and you end up with better fuel economy. So if you have access to 93, 95, 100 unleaded, run that stuff and let that engine scream. It was designed for a turbocharged sports car for god sake, it wants to hit red line and it wants it often. These ECU's are tuned fat(rich) for safety, you can piggy back an S-AFC with a wide band and tune them to get even better MPG and make even more power, at your own risk. Or you can take it to a good mitsu tuner, it's no different than tuning the 6G72 quad cam found in the 3kgt naturally aspirated cars.

Disclaimer: since some people have almost zero actual automotive performance knowledge, i think it's important to note that if you choose to bump up your octane, you need to reset your ECU, the ecu will need to run for a few hundred miles through various throttle, load and gear situations to work out the long term fuel trim, and might die around town for the first few days as you come to a stop, it has to re-learn.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
The DOHC is tuned for premium fuel, the SOHC is not.

Well, sort of.

The SOHC simply has less aggressive timing maps, fuel grades will still have impact on timing advance. Less of an impact, but it's still there. for people expecting to have a 'butt dyno' difference, you probably wont. If you're running premium in your SOHC rig, it's because you care more about the rig than you do about getting extra power, you're just helping it run as efficient as it can. I'm convinced the SOHC motor went into the montero because no one 'appreciated' the DOHC like they should've, so mitsu saw another spot they could cheap out. Either that or they just decided to cheap out, like they do to the US market. SOHC is still a decent engine though when taken care of. I run my 99 on premium, a black box ECU can handle a turbo strapped to the motor, so that right there tells you how flexible the timing maps in the ECU can become.

If you pull the maps from the ECU you'll see it all laid out in front of you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior