Black Bear and Lockers

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:-

Are you sure about that? I have been following the Sheriff's story pretty close and have yet to see anything about the road actually being closed....at this point. Black Bear is my favorite road in the San Juans.

The San Miguel county website indicates the road is open as well:
http://www.sanmiguelcountyco.gov/406/Road-Conditions

And to keep this on topic, you don't want to be locked on the final decent.

No ,just reading the same article-

As do I....and I have been at it for 40 years!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, me too--close to 60 years, but

Keeping up with the vehicle changes/elex changes/environment changes-is a never ending story-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

fireball

Explorer
To the OP and others, I posted the first negative comment from my phone, but now in front of the computer for a bit further explanation.

IMO Black Bear is not a terribly difficult trail from a technical sense, but the results of a bad move are dire to say the least. If someone is asking about using lockers while going downhill through tight switchbacks they appear to be a very novice or inexperienced driver. So while yes, asking here on a message board and trying to learn beforehand is a good idea I would suggest that they get a bit more experience either through a local club or a guided run before tackling something like this. For example there was a 100-series gathering just last week that took a good number of folks down BB and the trail leaders are very experienced folks who go out of their way to make sure everyone running knows what they are doing. That is exactly the type of run the OP should be a part of, hence my comment about "you should not be tackling yourself."

The importance of a discussion like this is heightened by the recent events where an inexperienced driver made a very bad decision by going on a trail that was more difficult than their skill/experience level, and then an even worse decision to turn around after the one way point which is where they slid off the side of the hill. I was witness to this same type of poor decision making by an inexperienced driver in Moab, who had a rented Razor pointed down Hell's Gate and had it not been for our group running down to stop him and help him get turned around he would've flipped the thing 300 or so feet down the ravine with his two young kids in the back. Scary stuff!

IMO the lesson here is to be cognizant of the challenges of the types of trails you are planning to do and make sure your experience level matches. There are a number of good ways to gain experience....you can believe some of the stuff you read here :), you can go out with local clubs, or you can do 4wd classes with experienced instructors. The list goes on and on.

Last edited:

BLK2000TJ

http://expeditionportal.com/sheriff-calls-for-the-closure-of-black-bear-pass-to-motor-vehicles/
Something more concerning to me than closing Black Bear Pass in the article is this comment from the sheriff:
In May he spoke out against increased abuses to local camping areas and the massive amounts of trash collecting in the pristine outlying areas around the town. With visitations to the area increasing with each year, something will have to give.
Those of us who camp on BLM or National Forest lands need to practice LNT or we will lose the privilege to do so.

JimBiram

Adventurer
Awesome trail, but after two trips, I'm done...
4957df0b450c89e77960634cc70aa6c6.jpg

Glad you are getting some advice, but get some training as others have suggested before you go. And let a passenger do the looking at scenery and let you focus on a safe ride.

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JimBiram

Adventurer
Believe it or not...I still have nightmares about that trail...the sheer beauty mixed with the sheer drop off is quite a mix...but I don't regret any of the trips and I believe any off-roader should have that on their list of accomplishments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoutn79

Adventurer
To the OP and others, I posted the first negative comment from my phone, but now in front of the computer for a bit further explanation.

IMO Black Bear is not a terribly difficult trail from a technical sense, but the results of a bad move are dire to say the least. If someone is asking about using lockers while going downhill through tight switchbacks they appear to be a very novice or inexperienced driver. So while yes, asking here on a message board and trying to learn beforehand is a good idea I would suggest that they get a bit more experience either through a local club or a guided run before tackling something like this. For example there is a 100-series gathering just last week that took a good number of folks down BB and the trail leaders are very experienced folks who go out of their way to make sure everyone running knows what they are doing. That is exactly the type of run the OP should be a part of, hence my comment about "you should not be tackling yourself."

This importance of a discussion like this is heightened by the recent events where an inexperienced driver made a very bad decision by going on a trail that was more difficult than their skill/experience level, and then an even worse decision to turn around after the one way point which is where they slid off the side of the hill. I was a witness to this same type of poor decision making my an inexperienced driver in Moab, who had a rented Razor pointed down Hell's Gate and had it not been for our group running down to stop him and help him get turned around he would've flipped that thing the 300 or so feet down the revine with his two young kids in the back. Scary stuff!

IMO the lesson here is to be cognizant of the challenges of the types of trails you are planning to do, and make sure your experience level matches. There are a number of good ways to gain experience....you can believe some of the stuff you read here :), you can go out with local clubs, or you can do 4wd classes with experienced instructors. The list goes on and on.

X2

I was so ready for a difficult trail after reading all of the hype for years. It was a real let down as far as the technical aspect goes...I didn't even get to enjoy the scenery as just as we entered the Ingram Steps the sky let loose and you couldn't see anything beyond about 75 yds. If you don't like very narrow roads with extremely steep drop offs and are uncomfortable with doing multi point turns while your front bumper is hanging out over the abyss with your front tires right up to the edge this might not be for you. The trail is not technically challenging, a friend did it in 2wd, but it is a very psychologically challenging trail for some.

Darrell

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader

IMO Black Bear is not a terribly difficult trail from a technical sense, but the results of a bad move are dire to say the least. If someone is asking about using lockers while going downhill through tight switchbacks they appear to be a very novice or inexperienced driver. So while yes, asking here on a message board and trying to learn beforehand is a good idea I would suggest that they get a bit more experience either through a local club or a guided run before tackling something like this. For example there is a 100-series gathering just last week that took a good number of folks down BB and the trail leaders are very experienced folks who go out of their way to make sure everyone running knows what they are doing. That is exactly the type of run the OP should be a part of, hence my comment about "you should not be tackling yourself."

This importance of a discussion like this is heightened by the recent events where an inexperienced driver made a very bad decision by going on a trail that was more difficult than their skill/experience level, and then an even worse decision to turn around after the one way point which is where they slid off the side of the hill. I was a witness to this same type of poor decision making my an inexperienced driver in Moab, who had a rented Razor pointed down Hell's Gate and had it not been for our group running down to stop him and help him get turned around he would've flipped that thing the 300 or so feet down the revine with his two young kids in the back. Scary stuff!

IMO the lesson here is to be cognizant of the challenges of the types of trails you are planning to do, and make sure your experience level matches. There are a number of good ways to gain experience....you can believe some of the stuff you read here :), you can go out with local clubs, or you can do 4wd classes with experienced instructors. The list goes on and on.

▲This▲

BB is not a very technical trail and the terrain has excellent traction but does have a higher than most pucker factor. Having run BB several times in the last 25 years the pucker factor can and will change from year to year.

The picture is a 100% stock Toyota Land Cruiser soccer mom ride that had no problem

Attachments

• P7150065.jpg
    P7150065.jpg
    592.2 KB · Views: 63

1stDeuce

Explorer
Easy there Phil. I more or less agree with you about the relative ease of doing black bear. We took a bone stock Jeep Liberty down it several years ago and didn't really have any problem. The "difficult" sections are downhill, so gravity helps.

BUT I think saying it isn't very technical is wrong and misleading. I'd say it isn't very difficult, but it is VERY technical. I say that because you can easily drive a 2wd high clearance vehicle down to Telluride from the pass. (Getting up to the pass in 2wd might be tougher.) BUT if you're not paying attention, and you stray even just a little from where you need to be, particularly once you get to the starsteps and switchbacks, you roll off the edge and DIE. That's a technical trail IMO. Wheel placement is absolutely critical compared to what I would consider a non-technical trail. It's not technical in terms of needing lockers, or good rock crawling skills, it's technical because you need to know what you're doing, and how to use your vehicle, and where you can and cannot be.

To the OP, glad you're asking now. Lots of people just drive every trail with the lockers locked. That is very counter productive in most cases, particularly when you need to turn. Because the "difficult" sections of BB are mostly difficult because of turning or consequences of not turning, lockers are NOT helpful for the "difficult" sections. Or the easy sections for that matter. :)

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Easy there Phil. I more or less agree with you about the relative ease of doing black bear. We took a bone stock Jeep Liberty down it several years ago and didn't really have any problem. The "difficult" sections are downhill, so gravity helps.

BUT I think saying it isn't very technical is wrong and misleading. I'd say it isn't very difficult, but it is VERY technical. I say that because you can easily drive a 2wd high clearance vehicle down to Telluride from the pass. (Getting up to the pass in 2wd might be tougher.) BUT if you're not paying attention, and you stray even just a little from where you need to be, particularly once you get to the starsteps and switchbacks, you roll off the edge and DIE. That's a technical trail IMO. Wheel placement is absolutely critical compared to what I would consider a non-technical trail. It's not technical in terms of needing lockers, or good rock crawling skills, it's technical because you need to know what you're doing, and how to use your vehicle, and where you can and cannot be.

To the OP, glad you're asking now. Lots of people just drive every trail with the lockers locked. That is very counter productive in most cases, particularly when you need to turn. Because the "difficult" sections of BB are mostly difficult because of turning or consequences of not turning, lockers are NOT helpful for the "difficult" sections. Or the easy sections for that matter. :)

Same technical issues you noted exist driving down the million dollar highway.

vtminer

BBP is not closed. The sheriff is mostly blowing smoke. He claims that the rescue and evacuation of the injured woman "stressed" local resources. However, there was a 100 Series Toyota group running the trail that day and witnessed the rollover. The leader of the group penned an Op-Ed to the sheriff detailing what actually happened. The only local resources used were a 911 Operator and one paramedic. The Toyota group, with the supervision of the medic, extracted her, loaded her into one of the vehicles on an inflatable stretcher and hauled her off the mountain. And while the sheriff may play his little political stunts, offroading is what keeps the local economy afloat when it isn't ski season in Telluride. I can't see BBP closing permanently for a long time because of the economic impacts.

ihatemybike

Explorer
We drove BBP in our Liberty with open diffs, at one point on the steps near the top my wife looks at me and says, "Get out!" It's spotting time.

The steps are slightly off camber with lots on little rocks on them that cause the vehicle to slide a little bit and the view ahead seems to just drop off to nowhere. In actuality the trail is plenty wide and step drops not bad. Having a spotter letting the driver know when each wheel is dropping and onto what, how much space there is wall and especially cliff side can make it really easy.

I got back in at the first right, but had to get out again at the switchbacks mostly just to stand out by the cliff to show her how far away it was.

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
If I may suggest it, for some folks, it may be significantly less aggravating and way more enjoyable to hire somebody else to do the driving. That's what I've done the last 13 summers with my Switzerland of America friends. Here's their page for their Black Bear tour, I've taken that all day tour (Imogene being the other half of it) four times now, the last time in 2012. Composite photo below of me with the big hat looking back at the people in the red Jeep - we had both taken each other's photos seconds before, and when they caught up to us at the Pandora mine, we exchanged email addresses in order to exchange photos when we got back home.

Tourists might look totally stupid riding in the back of such trucks, but when you toss aside whatever pride is lost from that, this is one fabulous way to take in every bit of the scenery without having a single worry about what you are about to steer over. Prepare adequately with sunscreen, aspirins for the high altitude headaches, some kind of rain gear (they have ponchos, but I prefer my rain suit), and some kind of a pad to stifle rib bruises if you have a window seat, and all is just pure fun with no worries after that.

Attachments

• drive - tour BB.jpg
    drive - tour BB.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 66

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94