Black Bear and Lockers

JCTex

Observer
When you go down The Steps from Black Bear Pass, should I use front lockers, rear, both, or none? FYWIW, my Unlimited is heavy but has a TeraFlex Big Brake kit.

Jerry

MTSN

Explorer
Although I haven't done Black Bear (I'm sure others will chime who have), I don't think it would be a good idea to have your front locked because of it's effects on steering and tendency to push, and my guess is you wouldn't need to have the back locked either. I typically turn off both lockers for descending unless I know I'll need the rear locked immediately after a descent.

fireball

Explorer
No lockers at all!!! And I don't want to be rude, but if you have to ask that question this is probably not a trail you should be attempting by yourself!

JCTex

Observer
S'okay. I fully agree. It's just when it comes time to decide my mentor/helpers won't be in the cab to tell me.

Jerry

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: You may not gatta chance to even try that pass-

The sheriff of that town/pass/county just closedit--and will try to keepit closed, because of too many drivers errors/wrecks and rescue use of local recovery people/equip--etc-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

4WD School

Adventurer
Don't use hill descent

The hill descent feature is generally a great feature, but if a tire slides on the gravel, (even a little) with the Hill Descent on, the computer releases the brake to prevent skidding.

Now imagine you're near the edge and the computer releases the brake and you have no control over it.

It will scare the crap out of you. ;-)

87Warrior

GP'er
:sombrero: You may not gatta chance to even try that pass-

The sheriff of that town/pass/county just closedit--and will try to keepit closed, because of too many drivers errors/wrecks and rescue use of local recovery people/equip--etc-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO
Are you sure about that? I have been following the Sheriff's story pretty close and have yet to see anything about the road actually being closed....at this point. Black Bear is my favorite road in the San Juans.

The San Miguel county website indicates the road is open as well:
http://www.sanmiguelcountyco.gov/406/Road-Conditions

And to keep this on topic, you don't want to be locked on the final decent.

EMrider

Explorer
Knowledge comes by asking questions...not avoiding something because " I don't know "

Exactly, those who are too dumb or insecure to even ask are most likely to get into a bad situation.

I didn't know everything when starting to explore offroad........and still have a lot to learn.

R

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Exactly, those who are too dumb or insecure to even ask are most likely to get into a bad situation.

I didn't know everything when starting to explore offroad........and still have a lot to learn.

R

As do I....and I have been at it for 40 years!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Desert Dan

Explorer
You should drive your rig for a while and learn by doing. Start on easy trails and get out and look at obstacles and look under your rig to see what is happening so you learn how to pick a line.

Drive in a tight circle without your lockers on and do it again and see what happens and figure out why!

Taking a 4x4 driving class and or going with a club is a good way to learn as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94