Problems setting up a CB antenna with a spring and a quick release

prerunner221

Adventurer
As the title states I have a Firestik firefly, which is mounted to the Cruiser with a quick disconnect currently. With this set up I can still open the rear window, barely, which is important to me. Unfortunately, when I go wheeling the antenna hits a lot of trees and I'm afraid I'm going to snap it. I purchased a Firestik spring today to address the issue, but it looks like I have to have mount in the order mount- spring- quick release- antenna. This order doesn't allow me to open my window and will look like crap IMO.

I would like to mount it Mount-quick release-spring-antenna so when I remove the antenna the spring comes with it.

Do I just need to get something with threads on both ends so I can do this or is there something made for this? My quick release screws on to my antenna, but the spring is threaded on both ends.

This is the current set up I'm speaking of. Thanks!
1511343_10153099919464494_3947660694167164504_n.jpg

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I would get rid of the quick release completely and just use the spring. You can still unscrew it easily and quickly enough that its not much of a hassle. I have dual firestiks on my bronco, both with the springs and they unscrew easily enough that I never even considered a quick release.

meental

Observer
IMO antennas are cheap, if it breaks, replace it. I used to have a spring but found the antenna bounced around too much and would hit the truck, I removed the spring and have been much happier.

Sent from my victara using Tapatalk

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
IMO antennas are cheap, if it breaks, replace it. I used to have a spring but found the antenna bounced around too much and would hit the truck, I removed the spring and have been much happier.

That's true, until you have to make a call out and you can't because, OH!!!, you're antennae broke on a tree because it didn't have a spring. Its not the money that's a problem. Its safety!

meental

Observer
I don't consider cb for any type of emergency broadcast, if I'm in trouble I reach for the 2m so I can actually reach someone. IMO CB is only good for trail banter.

JGBB04

Observer
Why not move the antenna to the other side? they do make springs w/ male & female ends so you could swap it. Also might consider a more flexible antenna, I use a Wilson flex & it's taken a lot of abuse w/ out a spring.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Explorer
I would like to mount it Mount-quick release-spring-antenna so when I remove the antenna the spring comes with it.

Do I just need to get something with threads on both ends so I can do this or is there something made for this? My quick release screws on to my antenna, but the spring is threaded on both ends.

You should be able to mount the quick-release on the bottom no problem. Your spring should have a threaded stud on one end (maybe there's an extra stud threaded into the other end you can unscrew?).

That's true, until you have to make a call out and you can't because, OH!!!, you're antennae broke on a tree because it didn't have a spring. Its not the money that's a problem. Its safety!

100% agreed (and not everyone will have a 2m either). A good CB can be a life saver, you don't want it's antenna to be at risk from trees. I would agree a CB probably shouldn't be relied on as an only means to call out for help if you're flying solo in a remote area, but in a group (or any place reasonably well-traveled) it's just as valuable a tool as anything else (a little cheezebox CB with a tiny little antenna OTOH is rarely good enough even for trail banter).

rabbiporkchop

Adventurer
As the title states I have a Firestik firefly, which is mounted to the Cruiser with a quick disconnect currently. With this set up I can still open the rear window, barely, which is important to me. Unfortunately, when I go wheeling the antenna hits a lot of trees and I'm afraid I'm going to snap it. I purchased a Firestik spring today to address the issue, but it looks like I have to have mount in the order mount- spring- quick release- antenna. This order doesn't allow me to open my window and will look like crap IMO.

This is the current set up I'm speaking of. Thanks!
1511343_10153099919464494_3947660694167164504_n.jpg

That quick disconnect is chrome plated pot metal or brass. I would only recommend using something made out of stainless to avoid corrosion problems. I would recommend something like this:
1997-1329489300-d9f425b34d650d6d19775f89a966a438.jpg

or this:
1989-1329114661-60502e6d759eeaf3810d9f9c8052d9e5.jpg

You can buy those from Bobs CB shop or directly from Jerry the machinist that made them.

I would also flip that bracket around to make it easier to open the window.

prerunner221

Adventurer
Those look pretty solid.

Unfortunately I can't flip the bracket around or it would contact the Cruiser when I open the door.

My problem was, I bought the wring spring. This one seems to be made to bolt to the mount, and then have the antenna screw into it. I ordered a new one with a female end and a male end which will fix the problem.

Thiswill no doubt mess with my tuning though. Would you folks recommend me tuning it myself after buying the reader or is it a pain in the rear and better left to the pros?

Finlay

Triarius
It's easy enough to tune. You just need a SWR meter.

Also, get some dielectric grease for the quick release. A little bit of corrosion can make those things impossible to remove.

rabbiporkchop

Adventurer
Those look pretty solid.

Unfortunately I can't flip the bracket around or it would contact the Cruiser when I open the door.

My problem was, I bought the wring spring. This one seems to be made to bolt to the mount, and then have the antenna screw into it. I ordered a new one with a female end and a male end which will fix the problem.

Thiswill no doubt mess with my tuning though. Would you folks recommend me tuning it myself after buying the reader or is it a pain in the rear and better left to the pros?

If you have a difficult time tuning the antenna, these guys would be able to help you, but don't let them touch your radio, as they are barely qualified to change a lightbulb.
They do have an MFJ-259b though.

1 Stop CB Shop
9565 S Orange Blossom Trail
Orlando, FL 32837
9565 S Orange Blossom Trail Orlando, FL 32837
(407) 852-7730

Make sure swr = 1.5 or less
x= 0
ohms = 50

4x4junkie

Explorer

Many antennas have a tuning screw in the top to adjust the tuning (SWR) with. Worse gets to worse, you could always trim the antenna itself down very slightly too (or peel a few turns of wire off it, as the case may be). As Finlay said, tuning an antenna should be a simple process, though getting a decent SWR can be made difficult if your mount isn't well grounded to the vehicle's body.

Longer antennas typically are also much more forgiving of things like springs, QDs, etc being added to it than short ones... If your antenna isn't at least 5' tall, you might consider upgrading your antenna for better range at the same time (I run a 5½ foot Francis CB-26 antenna on mine, I've found it to be one of the best antennas available short of a full 102" whip, and is also slimmer & lighter weight than any of the Firestik antennas).

prerunner221

Adventurer
Will do, thanks.

Turns out I just purchased the wrong unit. I figured since I had all Firestik products it would line up. I was wrong. Ordered the correct spring which will be in tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior