2006 F-150 build

DocWhiskey

Observer
Looks good man, I'll be following along. I have the same leveling kit installed on my F150 right now, though I'll be switching over the the ICON kit when it finally comes and I get back stateside.

RWB_F150

Observer
Thanks guy.
I don't know how I feel about the leveling kit, maybe I should of just changed my shocks when I did the whole thing, but that's not happening.
It feels like The control arms are barely hanging on, and definitely a rough ride.
I am planning on keep this for atleast another 4 years, so prob just keep what I have.
I'm going to have a look at your truck next break.

DocWhiskey

Observer
No worries.

Your mileage is relatively low, which may be contributing to the rough ride. I didn't notice an increase in harshness when I put mine on, but then again that was at ~165k miles and I have the winch+bumper on the front. That may be helping to smooth the old girl out a touch.

The control arms are definitely at their limit with the 2.5 kit, mine is the 2" and even then the ball joints on the UCA were the limiting factor for droop travel. You could always keep the kit on and swap the arms for uniball units, there's a few guys out there's making quality units but they are a bit spendy.

I have the same motor and it's still going strong at close to 200k (I don't know exactly how much, in on deployment right now so I'm not the one driving it) with no mechanical issues, so keeping it for four years shouldn't be an issue at all.

Thank haha she's a work in progress but some big upgrades are coming.

RWB_F150

Observer
It has been a while since I have made an update! Class is now over with, so more time can be devoted for projects, and the outdoors. My latest project that I have been working on is a 12 volt fuse block so I can hook all of my accessories too.
I purchased a 12 position Blue Seas Fuse box, a 100 amp circuit break, around 9 feet of 4 gauge wire from home depot.
Now to figure out where to put this thing, even though the F150 is a large vehicle, there really isn't a lot of room under the hood. I decided to put the fuse block on the driver side between the air filter, and radiator reservoir.
I cut out some card board to start out to get a rough idea of the metal that I would need to cut to make the mount.
temp.jpg

Sorry I really don't have any other pictures of the bending / install. I use existing bolts on from the radiator reservoir to aid in mounting.
Here is a picture of the foot of the mount that wrapped around the drill bit when I tired to drill a hole in it, opps.
foot.jpg

Its dark, but here is the mount in place, 2 bolts in the wall, and 1 bolt at the end which uses a foot as support.
blank.jpg

I used sheet metal screws to mount the fuse block into place and ran the wires.
fuse block.jpg

The wires are ran up top to keep things neat, and the circuit breaker is as close to the battery as possible. This is in case the wire arcs, or you get into an accident and the wire doesn't have a chance to sever anywhere close to the battery.
(pic of circuit breaker)
Now for switches, I have had switches here, switches there and everywhere. I wanted a place out of the way, and kind of cool.
So a few measurements, and time to drill some holes.
switch.jpg
switch 2.jpg

Next I purchased a 50 inch curved single row led light bar from Rough Country, at a good price on Ebay brand new with free shipping.
This thing is sweet, and bright!
Bad news first, when I hooked everything up and flipped on the switch, I don't what went wrong, but when I flipped on the switch a few seconds later I noticed smoke coming from under the hood. I fired
the stock wiring harness that came with the light bar. I don't know if it was me or the harness, but what done is done.
I made my own harness this time, 14 Gauge wire all the way around and 8G wire going from fuse block to relay, just to be safe.
I contacted the company, they stated that the bar pulls 24 amps, I put a reader around the wire and I was getting around 22.
wires.jpg
light bar.jpg

With this being a new year, and wanting to get outside more, my wife and I decided that we needed a way to grab our gear and hit the road easier. I purchased a pelican 1550 box to be able to store food in
while on the road, I think I have my mind made up about the gear box, a pelican im3220, just haven't made the purchase yet. I want to be able to store everything on top of my truck as a low profile look.
gear.jpg

Here we sit today. I have some more projects in mind, I am currently working on some curtains to put in the camper shell so that will be the next update. Enjoy
truck.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz