2007 Fuso Fg Relay Getting hot and temp gauge not working - any idea?

dtruzinski

Explorer
Ok Fuso experts, I have two riddles to solve. I just got my new to me 2007 Fuso home with a whopping 14,000 miles on it. The temp gauge is not working, it pegs after 3 minutes of driving and the truck is certainly not running hot. Also, the relay for the oil level check gets hot and is constantly clicking when driving.

I have ordered a new temp sensor, but wonder if others have had this problem...am I on the right track? On the relay, I swapped in another relay of the same type and the problem continued. Idea?

tnx
dave

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Ok Fuso experts, I have two riddles to solve. I just got my new to me 2007 Fuso home with a whopping 14,000 miles on it. The temp gauge is not working, it pegs after 3 minutes of driving and the truck is certainly not running hot. Also, the relay for the oil level check gets hot and is constantly clicking when driving.

I have ordered a new temp sensor, but wonder if others have had this problem...am I on the right track? On the relay, I swapped in another relay of the same type and the problem continued. Idea?

tnx
dave

Hmm, not issues that I have experienced. Shooting in the dark, a lot of times gauge issues are related to a bad ground somewheres...

gait

Explorer
in the manual there are separate tests for operation of sensor and gauge.

The oil level relay I would check the push button switch - just disconnect wire - and the wire from there to the relay. If not a short at the relay. "Chattering" is a bit like a short that provides enough current to energise the relay but too much resistance to hold it on so look for black or melted bits.

My oil level isn't working at present (left over from near electrical fire) - to save me a bit of effort where did you find the relay?

dtruzinski

Explorer
@gait - the relays are on the passenger side behind the glove compartment (where the service manual is kept). The check oil relay is in the bottom row leftmost first or second relay...I just put my dash back together and don't recall which of the two positions it was.

dtruzinski

Explorer
Fuel Pickup Line Plate/Plumbing

ok while I await a new Check Oil Level switch and temperature sending unit, I have moved on the next problem. I am moving my custom built box from the 2004 to a 2007. I noticed that the 2007's fuel tank has a blank plate on top for additional fuel feed lines. Does anyone know where I can buy a plate with 2 fuel pickup lines that will fit this tank? These lines will feed my diesel cook top (Wallas) and heater (Espar).

tnx
dave

biggoolies

Adventurer
If there is not enough coolant in the lines, the sensor will not work properly or an air pocket around the sensor. Also, clean the connection of the sensor male and female.

dtruzinski

Explorer
@SkiFreak, my 2004 has a 2nd tank which has a custom fitting with 2 pick-ups on it. I don't think the plate mounting holes will line up with my 2007's tank, and I was hoping this "fitting" was something available in the market. If not, you are right and I need to fab something to work.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
ok while I await a new Check Oil Level switch and temperature sending unit, I have moved on the next problem. I am moving my custom built box from the 2004 to a 2007. I noticed that the 2007's fuel tank has a blank plate on top for additional fuel feed lines. Does anyone know where I can buy a plate with 2 fuel pickup lines that will fit this tank? These lines will feed my diesel cook top (Wallas) and heater (Espar).

tnx
dave

On my 2007, fuel runs up and into a marine fuel filter / water separator and then into a manifold that sends it to the truck, genset, etc. Mine is a bit fancy in that it has an electric priming pump which makes filter changeover, system bleeding, etc a breeze.

I would recommend considering a similar approach - pull the fuel out from a common source, filter it, and then distribute it. Otherwise you have multiple fuel filters, etc to muck with.

gait

Explorer
I really don't have a clue and can't remember where I read it, but the extra blank plate on my tank has four vaguely visible "dimples" in it, about 1/2" diameter, which may or may not be soft, and may or may not be designed to melt in unlikely event of fire inside tank.

Then again .......

Just in case I drilled an extra hole in the tank for heater and cooktop. Made the drill bit as magnetic as I could, magnet inside, and after drilling a magnet attached to inside of drain plug. So far 100,000km. Maybe just lucky! :)

dtruzinski

Explorer
On my 2007, fuel runs up and into a marine fuel filter / water separator and then into a manifold that sends it to the truck, genset, etc. Mine is a bit fancy in that it has an electric priming pump which makes filter changeover, system bleeding, etc a breeze.

I would recommend considering a similar approach - pull the fuel out from a common source, filter it, and then distribute it. Otherwise you have multiple fuel filters, etc to muck with.

The problem is that neither the Wallas fuel pump, nor the Espar is capable of filling that larger inlet. I think I have to fab two lines into the existing blank plate with 3-5mm fuel pickup lines. Am I missing something with this line of reasoning?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94