diesel Grand Cherokee mpg

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/...erokee-overland-ecodiesel-long-term-update-4/

Truck Trend reports that, after driving 23K miles, they averaged 22.6 mpg in a 2014 Grand Cherokee with 3.0L V6 Ecodiesel and 8 speed transmission. The best fuel economy they saw was almost 28 mpg, the worst 15 mpg while towing a 6500 lb trailer. This latter number is particularly impressive. A V8 towing that trailer would show mpg a lot closer to 10 mpg than 15.

The DEF tank was good for close to 10,000 miles, which is the distance between recommended oil changes.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
In before all the gasser guys tell us how their gas engines would get 25mpg under the same circumstances...

brained

Adventurer
Just got one

We're getting a tank average of 22 (lots of stop and go on our 3 mile commute to work). In Oregon we can see trip averages of 30. On Idaho freeways it drops to 28.
We have a 28 ft Jayco (7000 Gross) that we'll pull from Idaho to Sisters Oregon next month - I'll post back up after that.

EMrider

Explorer
Those are good numbers.

A frequent insta-reply has been that diesel fuel costs more. But that is no longer the case. In fact, in So Cal diesel has been selling for 30% less than mid grade gas in recent months.

R

kmlacroix

Explorer
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/...erokee-overland-ecodiesel-long-term-update-4/

Truck Trend reports that, after driving 23K miles, they averaged 22.6 mpg in a 2014 Grand Cherokee with 3.0L V6 Ecodiesel and 8 speed transmission. The best fuel economy they saw was almost 28 mpg, the worst 15 mpg while towing a 6500 lb trailer. This latter number is particularly impressive. A V8 towing that trailer would show mpg a lot closer to 10 mpg than 15.

The DEF tank was good for close to 10,000 miles, which is the distance between recommended oil changes.

This is about what I get, too.

Jason911

Adventurer
Running 10k more mileage than the article, and I'm seeing a routine 27mpg city. Best I've ever seen highway was 33.9, but they've since raised the speed limit here in WI. I frequently tow a 4600lb fully enclosed all-aluminum trailer(total weight full of stuff) and I avg 14mpg(as low as 8 and as high as 16). Burn through rate on the DEF has been 1 gallon per 1100 miles. 100% stock, save for a AFE air filter, plus the addition of mopar armor.

Terex

Adventurer
On a 600 mi. roundtrip to Crested Butte, Co from Taos, I averaged close to 19 mpg pulling our box shaped offroad trailer. Trailer weight around 3300 lbs. This included about 60 miles on rough trail over high mountain passes. No speeds greater than 65 on the trip.

Driving to work, about 13 mi. each way, my wife averages around 27 mpg. I've been in mid-30's on trip between Taos and Santa Fe. Again, nothing faster than 65 mph.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Theres a couple of different magazines that have confirmed that the '16 Wrangler will have the EcoDiesel/8spd combo.

Interesting, I had not heard this.
I wonder how long until the 2016MY is announced.. .we're getting down to the pointy end of 2015.

-Dan

Jason911

Adventurer
Interesting, I had not heard this.
I wonder how long until the 2016MY is announced.. .we're getting down to the pointy end of 2015.

-Dan

I know I read it in/on Autoblog, and in another online thread - but that was before FCA downshifted all the builds and started stretching them out. The WK2 redesign was pushed back 1-2 years.

Lee_N

I rented a Ram 1500 with the EcoDiesel and a flat bed trailer to go get a broken Audi in Longmont CO. I averaged 24.6 mpg pulling a 2500 lb empty trailer there and 19.4 overall. Didn't check the mileage on the leg back but must have averaged 14 or 15 pulling a 6500 lb load. And doing a 1000 mile round trip in a day from Utah to Colorado, I definitely wasn't doing 55 or 65. I was extremely impressed with this engine and how it would effortlessly pull a load over mountain passes.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Running 10k more mileage than the article, and I'm seeing a routine 27mpg city. Best I've ever seen highway was 33.9, but they've since raised the speed limit here in WI. I frequently tow a 4600lb fully enclosed all-aluminum trailer(total weight full of stuff) and I avg 14mpg(as low as 8 and as high as 16). Burn through rate on the DEF has been 1 gallon per 1100 miles. 100% stock, save for a AFE air filter, plus the addition of mopar armor.

27mph city eh? I'm tossing the BS flag. :) If you're getting that number from the DIC, be aware that it's usually fairly optimistic, and that real mileage will be lower. Either that or your "city" driving means 20 miles on a freeway through the city, or a lot less stop and go than most people's city drive. ?? I'm even more suspicious of your city number, given that your absolute best is 34... Which also sounds more like a DIC mileage than true. ??

We have a Liberty CRD, which is a smaller car with a smaller engine, and even it doesn't average that well when driving in stop-and-go traffic. It'll get low 20's if you're really nice to it and don't do much stopping. We can get 30 on the highway at the best, at 65mph. At a true 30mpg, the DIC tells us it's getting about 35mpg. And at 20 true, the DIC will say about 23.

If you guys are quoting DIC numbers, you might want to hand check them over a few tanks. You'll probably find out you're not getting quite the mileage you think you are...
But of course, YMMV. :)
Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles