lavish back packing meals

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
On solo trips, I'm eating bars, trail mix, fruit roll ups, tuna pouches, and freeze dried stuff for simplicity.
Over the last year, I have propelled myself over a thousand miles of bikepacking travel with Justin's Almond butter packs and Epic meat bars. I throw in some fig bars, morning oatmeal and Good to Go dehydrated dinners and I can go forever. I also throw in Cheese Heads, Jelly Belly jelly beans, and jalapeño Kind bars. On some of my bikepacking days, particularly in Iceland when I was logging 15 hour days in the saddle, I was burning 4,000 to 6,000 calories.

psykokid

Explorer
We eat the same way we eat at home. Full gourmet home cooked meals. From grits to off the block bacon slabs to steaks and ribs. Even done stuffed artichokes on the road. If it can be done in the house it can be cooked while on the road. TIME is the only enemy.

On the road (car camping) or on the trail (backpacking)?

Camadile

Supporting Sponsor - Mojoe Outfitters
Yes. Both. We pack in great food. Even on multi pitch climbs. We also pack freeze dried foods. A real home cooked meal is such a morale booster in adverse conditions though. The extra weight is well worth it. We fish, hunt and gather food while out in the wild also. Eating great food is awesome. Providing for ourselves wherever we are it's a huge plus. Teaching my kids the right way from day one.

My daughters love to find wild raspberry's and eat them on the go out save them for later to eat with some greens

I'm with you! I have backpacked all over the Sierra Nevada for four decades. All the food that my buddies and I bring is purchased at the supermarket. The prepping, cooking and eating of great food surrounded only by nature's beauty and no other humans is one of the greatest joys in my life!

Fresh meats and vegetables baby! Well worth the extra weight.

Typical backpacking meals:

First night dinner (mandatory): Ribeyes with sauteed mushrooms and onions, fried rice. I carry a lightweight wire grill for the steaks over the fire.
Beef tacos with fresh lettuce, tomatoes and cheese.
Pasta with fresh and sun-dried tomatoes and herbs
Pancakes/bacon with real maple syrup
Chorizo and eggs burritos.
Etc.

Now, we don't usually go on marathon trips where mileage is king. We make a five to ten mile push into a base-camp and then explore the surrounding area with day hikes.

Cam

Camadile

Supporting Sponsor - Mojoe Outfitters
The beauty of doing it that way is you end up leaving with a substantially lighter pack.

I have used this on a few occasions.

Yes, there's a bit of extra pain on the way in but get a big weight reduction bonus on the way out!

That's a very hi-tech grill! Mine is very low tech. I wrap it in a trash bag and it sits inside my 1986 Jansport D3 up against the frame! (Yes, I still use a backpack with a frame because it is one of the best backpacks ever made!)

Backpacking Grill.JPG

Cam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles