1991 Sportsmobile for 18K?

Sleam

Explorer
Hi, I'm looking at a 91 that I really like. It's got all that I need. What should I ask about since I don't these vans being a Land Rover and 4Runner owner (!)...this is what I was sent via email:

Engine: Ford 5.8 L V8, recently serviced, new alternator, new EFI computer unit
Transmission: Automatic with overdrive, recently rebuilt (still under warranty), cruise control
Drive train: 4x4 with 2H, 4H, and 4L; Warn locking front hubs, Dana 44 solid front axle
Power options: Power steering, power brakes, power windows and locks, air conditioning
Tires: 10-ply 265/75/16 Hankooks.

There is solar, kitchen, fridge, rack, awning etc too. It's looking good to me but if you know of any specific things to ask or check I'd appreciate it, like with the 4runner it was to ask about the timing chain...

thanks for the input!
s

Shocker

VanDOOM!
Could be a good deal. Do you have any pics?

The platform is quite robust with no super critical issues. The biggest concern would be the E40D transmission. I see it has been rebuilt, but I would take a look at the updates it should have received during the rebuild.

Which front axle does it have? Who did the 4x4 conversion? Is the top in good shape? Rust is an issue with the body, less so with the frame.

18k could be good or not. The previous body styles just don't bring the $$$ like the later body styles and probably never will. Personally I prefer the older bodies.

The 351 is a great engine, but a bit down on power for the size of the rig. Mine has the 460 and it is well suited to the chassis.

Sleam

Explorer
Could be a good deal. Do you have any pics?

The platform is quite robust with no super critical issues. The biggest concern would be the E40D transmission. I see it has been rebuilt, but I would take a look at the updates it should have received during the rebuild.

Which front axle does it have? Who did the 4x4 conversion? Is the top in good shape? Rust is an issue with the body, less so with the frame.

18k could be good or not. The previous body styles just don't bring the $$$ like the later body styles and probably never will. Personally I prefer the older bodies.

The 351 is a great engine, but a bit down on power for the size of the rig. Mine has the 460 and it is well suited to the chassis.
Thanks, that helps. I get to take it for a ride after Thanksgiving as He's out of town. I will ask about the transmission though.
S

Ask how old the house and starting batteries are. Also what kind of battery the house battery is, deep cycle RV or AGM.

The price seems high to me, 2WD with that body style are $5-$6,000. A 4x4 install on a newer van is in the $10-$15,000 range depending on the lift and other goodies.

Our 2wd 89 E150 has the 351 and crisis at 65-70 and gets around 13 mpg. I agree that it may be under powered for a 4x4.

Is it a E150, 250 or 350 body. The 150s did not have as strong a frame as the other two. It may pushing the max vehicle weight.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles