Fwends, Womans, Countwymen, wend me your ears - and your Scepter MFC

rayra

Expedition Leader
... more specifically, a picture of the bottom of it. Specifically, the molded / raised triangular stamp with a number in it, the plastic type.

Looks a little like this - in fact it should look a LOT like this -

MFCplastictype_zpsh3wovzpa.jpg

While I go try to find the MSDS again.

There's some undead lore that needs to be slain. Or at least jabbed some in its tender bits.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Thank you both, but I'm looking for the plastic type stamp on the bottom of an MFC. Like a Scepter brand fuel jug (or any other brand of milspec MFC). I expect it to also be HDPE-2, but I'll want the photograph for reference / proof.

whatevah

Observer
Sorry about the grass, this is the bottom of a diesel can bought new shortly after they were banned. As far as I know, I got the last 2 available in the US. Used it for home heating oil, diesel and gasoline.
6351984623b64ce8c3dfcab3a7183885.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
Eggselent. Now this is getting somewhere. Thank you for the pic.

The reason I ask is that in another topic about fuel containers someone else spun some complete BS about gasoline destroying an MWC, something that I knew from both prior reading and experience to be utterly incorrect. So I set about illustrating the wide variety of liquids, base, acidic and caustic, which are marketed in HDPE-2 containers. I also knew that both MFCs and MWCs are both made with HDPE-2 by the mil-spec contract manufacturers. So I set about looking for images of the bottom of MFCs for the visual confirmation of the triangle with the 2 in it.

And of course the person foretelling doom turns out to be re-selling canadian-sourced MFCs at a stiff markup. No wonder he claimed HDPE-2 MWCs would decompose if fuel was put in them.

Eggselent. Now this is getting somewhere. Thank you for the pic.

The reason I ask is that in another topic about fuel containers someone else spun some complete BS about gasoline destroying an MWC, something that I knew from both prior reading and experience to be utterly incorrect. So I set about illustrating the wide variety of liquids, base, acidic and caustic, which are marketed in HDPE-2 containers. I also knew that both MFCs and MWCs are both made with HDPE-2 by the mil-spec contract manufacturers. So I set about looking for images of the bottom of MFCs for the visual confirmation of the triangle with the 2 in it.

And of course the person foretelling doom turns out to be re-selling canadian-sourced MFCs at a stiff markup. No wonder he claimed HDPE-2 MWCs would decompose if fuel was put in them.

Why don't you please tell the truth if you can? As to what i said "mfc's" as well as other gas cans and dangerous flammable goods "approved" HDPE2 containers are treated to 'Special Processes' like "FLOURINE TREATMENT" as well as the approved for carrying fuels plastic products including the funnels being treated when manufactured with special "ANTISTATIC PROPERTIES" please inform people correctly or I will. Your name calling in other posts and misinformation and downright rudeness has gone too far. Do some research before you slander and call me a hypocrite accusing me of breaking laws when your promoting the transportation of dangerous flammable goods in non UN approved containers. that water can isnt carb approved nor is it approved for gas or dangerous goods anywhere in the world
who's the hypocrite. LOL I was promoting safety, you in your lack of understanding are promoting foolish and dangerous ideas

Last edited:

whatevah

Observer
onebowtieguy, you're really giving off a bad vibe, here and on the other thread related to this. You may have a valid point, however your tone lead some to disregard anything you say.

I've done a little research into the topic occasionally and I know that there are different formulas that still meet the HDPE 2 recycling designation. But, who's to say that the Scepter MWC cans are not fuel-safe without some experimentation? I'm willing to give it a try. I'll order one from an online retailer (likely amazon, depends on who's cheapest), put in 1 gallon of E10 gas and report back what happens over time. Fwiw, the diesel cans work perfectly for E10 gasoline. ;)

comptiger5000

Adventurer
If the issue is actually an issue of static buildup, the cans won't fail over time, there's just a chance you might get a static spark and end up with a fire while filling it. Unfortunately, I don't know of a good way to test this.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Bowtie it is you that are twisting / attempting to re-cast the argument as something it was not. Your comment there -

"Just a FYI the scepter water cans are "NOT" made from the same plastics as the scepter fuel cans. i would not suggest putting water in a fuel container and then drinking it as its not food safe treated........ nor would i suggest putting fuel in a water can.... very quickly the gasoline will erode the water container.[emphasis added] "

which is patent bull****e. Which you immediately followed with an offer to sell me a $65 MFC for $125. You seem utterly unaware of how it looks to spread a blatant falsehood about alternative containers while simultaneously engaging in a profitable smuggling business in MFCs. AND prattle on about government regulations while you simultaneously break the laws of two nations regarding those same containers.
None of the rest of your hand-waving and distortions matter, in the face of those aspects.

Philosophically I applaud your enterprise and fine appreciation of capitalism. And also share your disregard for over-intrusive government regulation and artificially created shortages. As Heinlein so aptly put it in his novel 'The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress' -

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

But I draw the line at bull****e and obfuscation and poor business ethics.

I put several links regarding petroleum distillates and caustic chems in HDPE-2 containers in the other topic. As well as HDPE-2 jugs specifically marketed to the ORV community for gasoline use. As well as links to other anecdotal reports of suitability which directly contradict your self-serving assertion that such containers will not stand up to gasoline. our audience is free to examine and weigh that information and come to their own conclusions.

Our disagreement IS a matter of money, you and your lucrative smuggling business and me trying to save a goodly sum in my dotage. Why should I pay $125 for a container no longer legally available to me, instead of using a near-identical container that costs $25? (call it $35 with the viton gaskets that make it work) Both choices violate laws / regulations. Although I dare say cross-border smuggling has greater penalties attached than ignoring a DoT type-approval.

Furthermore, I have also posted other topic(s) regarding other fuel can offerings, in fact one that seems quite nice and goes for just $15, and also made my Scepter and ALSO has DoT type approval. And it too was met with vehement opposition, oddly enough. Despite it appearing to be a better product than the thinner-walled offerings by the other claimants to the Blitz crown (whose own plastic containers were pretty thin, anyway).

even without your personal financial interest and questionable behaviours in the matter, your statement and arguments are demonstrably nonsense. Give it a rest.

rayra

Expedition Leader
A simple 2gal CARB-Approved fuel container, manufactured by Scepter, for home / automotive use.

HDPEscepter2gal_zps9inibi1i.jpg
HDPEscepter2galbottom_zps05jv1klk.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier