My first 4x4, a babied GX470.

mscuiletti

Observer
Hello everyone,
A little story so you can all understand my excitement and also dilemma. After screwing my credit in college long ago, my Oldsmobile died. After years and years of payments and taking care of past debts, I was able to get a car from one of those "everyone is approved" lots. It was a Volvo XC90 T6, with 88k miles. I did NOT do enough research and two years later the transmission began to slip. Long story short, the dealer stated that it was due to a leaking axle seal. They replaced it, along with the DIMM and some suspension work. When reinstalling the axle, the mechanic then noted "excessive shaft play" and it was then decided that it did indeed need a replacement. My warranty, however, would not cover it, as the dealer had added the transmission onto the already capped claim from replacing the axle seals, etc. I would need to come up with 7k, which is what the dealer quoted me at. The car had 116k miles, and I check fluids religiously. I was very very upset. I was so upset, that rather than pay for a transmission repair, I traded the car in, still owing over a grand, on a new Fiesta ST. I wanted something small, cheap, fun to drive, and good on gas. Now one year later of driving to central Illinois for work every other week, I decided that the Fiesta is just not comfortable enough for long trips, nor can i easily fit my hockey gear or even go camping easily. It has very low ground clearance, and very stiff suspension. I even replaced the stock 17" wheels with 15" wheels for more cushion from the tires.

I began watching overland/expedition/camping/rock-crawling videos and it made me want to get back into nature, and adventure. I used to love camping, probably due to being in Boy Scouts long ago. I have been drooling over many builds on this site, and really wanted something more comfortable, and capable, something I can keep for a long time.

I got a letter in the mail as my credit has been continually improving, and i was pre-approved for financing per my bank, and they suggested a local dealer. I took a look at their inventory for ****'s and giggles, and noticed a car that had not even been on my radar. A 2003 Lexus GX470 with 80k miles. The price seemed great to me, so I called, and drove the car home that night. It sat on the lot for a single day. The undercarriage is very clean for a rust-belt car, almost as if the car was never driven in snow. It has some scratches, which I actually like.

IMAG2200.jpg

Now I will park the fiesta, and pay another grand or so until I can list if for sale, at which point I'll have some spending money for this truck. I am not a fan of the wheels or tires, so those are likely to be replaced first. I also want to remove the running boards. I want this truck to look tough, and have more clearance for the day I finally get onto some beginner trails or campsites. I also just don't like the mall cruiser look. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Also, three days after getting it, CEL came on, and codes look like an evap leak. Ill check the lines around the charcoal canister this week, and hope its a quick fix (I already tried a new gas cap).

Finally, if anyone around Detroit ever wants company on a drive or help on their rigs, I would love to help. I hope to be able to learn from others, so I would love that opportunity.

Current state:
IMAG2439.jpg

Last edited:

AaronK

Explorer
Is that the 2UZ-FE? I got that code once and all it was was the house fell off the purge valve on top of the engine because there was no hose clamp.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

mscuiletti

Observer
Is that the 2UZ-FE? I got that code once and all it was was the house fell off the purge valve on top of the engine because there was no hose clamp.

It sure is, and I'll also check under the hood. Hopefully its a quick and cheap fix, because I believe it's close to being due for a timing belt.

mscuiletti

Observer
It's right on top of the engine, driver's side.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Well the engine cover was on and I did not have my tools with me, but was able to jiggle some hoses and the light went away. I'll have to get under those covers and make sure they aren't cracked. Thanks again for the tip, this forum was well worth it already! :)

Doc_

Sammich!
You've got a great platform there to play with. I've seen GXs built up into impressive trail and adventure rigs with very little modification, like shocks, coils, sliders. With only 80K miles on it, your Lexus is still a wee baby, too.

I began watching overland/expedition/camping/rock-crawling videos and it made me want to get back into nature, and adventure. I used to love camping, probably due to being in Boy Scouts long ago.

I believe I owe you a left-handed handshake, then.

WhiteH2O

Observer
Congrats, nice rig! They are capable rigs, and it is nice having a comfortable vehicle that can go places.

I would start with removing the running boards (mine didn't last 2 hours); free and easy. Then save for wheels/tires and maybe a lift (you can put in those adjustable Bilsteins in the front and trick the rear air bags for around $230).

I have one, I've done a fair amount to it, and I'm super happy with it. I'm sure it will treat you right.

mscuiletti

Observer
I would start with removing the running boards (mine didn't last 2 hours); free and easy. Then save for wheels/tires and maybe a lift

Do you think it would still look better removing the running boards with the current wheels and tires? I am trying to avoid spending money on this until I sell the other car. I also dabbled with the idea of simply plasti-dipping the wheels to matte black for now, until they are replaced. Thoughts?

Owyhee H

Adventurer
Don't dip them. Just rock what you have until you can afford to replace. If they are functional there is no real benefit to messing with them. The wheels will be easier to sell later if they are not dipped, or you will have the work to strip them.

You have a nice capable rig. Go out and see if it does all you want before you start chopping it up. It doesn't sound like you have any crazy plans so it may serve your needs in stock form.

Work on maintenance and learning about your truck. It will serve you in the long run.....but you may not be as EXPO cool......:sombrero:

WhiteH2O

Observer
Do you think it would still look better removing the running boards with the current wheels and tires? I am trying to avoid spending money on this until I sell the other car. I also dabbled with the idea of simply plasti-dipping the wheels to matte black for now, until they are replaced. Thoughts?

That's what I did. I removed the running boards and plasti-dipped the wheels. The plasti-dip comes off somewhat easily when you want it to so it shouldn't effect value. I still sold mine after I got the plasti-dip off. One thing I did notice, was that they don't stay very nice looking if you get them dirty. Right when you paint them, they look great, but after the first trip offroad, they get a bit dull and don't look as nice and it is hard/impossible to get back looking like it did when you first painted them.

Here is mine with removed running boards, lift, spacers, 265 tires, and dipped wheels:

https://flic.kr/p/nYiAdA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior