My first 4x4, a babied GX470.

j944

Nice find. Good luck on your build. Has the timing belt been changed? Normally done at 90k miles though.

mscuiletti

Observer
Nice find. Good luck on your build. Has the timing belt been changed? Normally done at 90k miles though.

The dealer was unable to find the timing belt in the service history, but under the hood I noticed a sticker last night that said it was replaced at 60k miles. I will take a photo of it after work to post here and make sure I am not misreading it. I have no idea why someone would replace it 30k miles early. If it was replaced though, I am extremely happy about my purchase!

One annoying issue, is that 3 of the tires are leaking air, one much faster. I have to air them up weekly to maintain pressure. I am thinking it is the wheels, although not positive.

character zero

dangerfoot
The dealer was unable to find the timing belt in the service history, but under the hood I noticed a sticker last night that said it was replaced at 60k miles. I will take a photo of it after work to post here and make sure I am not misreading it. I have no idea why someone would replace it 30k miles early. If it was replaced though, I am extremely happy about my purchase!

One annoying issue, is that 3 of the tires are leaking air, one much faster. I have to air them up weekly to maintain pressure. I am thinking it is the wheels, although not positive.

It is an age-OR-mileage part...90k or 9 years IIRC. I've got a 1st gen Tundra that I did early @ 48k for age reasons...water pump was apparently leaking so I'm glad I addressed it. IIRC Toyota also revised the age guideline from 7 to 9years a few years back.

mscuiletti

Observer
It is an age-OR-mileage part...90k or 9 years IIRC. I've got a 1st gen Tundra that I did early @ 48k for age reasons...water pump was apparently leaking so I'm glad I addressed it. IIRC Toyota also revised the age guideline from 7 to 9years a few years back.

I believe the date was 2009 when replaced, so makes sense as the owner bought the car in 2002. I guess I have a few years before I need to worry about that part then. Thanks for the knowledge transfer!

funny-obama-thumbs-up.jpg

mscuiletti

Observer
So Belle Tire has GY Duratracs on sale for 175 a tire. I looked around online and it seems that a 265/70R17 fits on a truck with no lift, but possible rubbing at full lock. I read that the Duratracs run big however. I have a set being delivered for installation this afternoon, but should I just pick up the tires and wait to lift the truck? I hadn't planned on any suspension work just yet, so I am hoping that someone here runs that tire in that size on stock suspension. Thoughts?

mscuiletti

Observer
I was able to fit the truck in my "garage" to remove the running boards today. Maybe it's just my perception or placebo effect, but it looks like it has more ground clearance. I love the look over what it had been.

IMAG2336_1.jpg

The Duratracs installed. Was trying to focus on the wheels, so I apologize for the amateur photography. :eek:
IMAG2347_1_1.jpg

IMAG2345_1_1_1.jpg

mscuiletti

Observer
I decided to see if I like the look of black wheels on the car so spent $6 or so and an hour of my time to spray plasti-dip over the chrome. I have it on my winter wheels for my car, and it comes off very easily when needed. I then took a trip to visit family in Paw Paw, then up to Traverse City for the weekend, and finally back to Detroit last night. The Duratracs vibrated a bit more (expected) but I am unsure if they were not balanced well or if it is just the tread. The noise is not as bad as I had anticipated. The truck drove great, and was comfortable even in some heavy rain. I am ecstatic so far.

Here is the first coat on the rear, just to compare:
IMAG2349.jpg

Here is the truck the next morning:
IMAG2350_1_1.jpg

IMAG2351.jpg

I think it looks much better personally, but I still think those wheels aren't right for that truck.

Last edited:

TheSurvivalist

Looks good. I always liked that body style. Tried to talk the wife getting one when we were looking at new SUVs. She ended up getting the smaller RX350.

Congrats on the new ride.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
I dig this rig!

Like someone else mentioned, work with what you've got! I took my running boards off and never added mud flaps for that "lifted look" and ended up adding mud flaps and I'm turning my rock sliders into steps so my wife can get up into it. We're not doing heavy rock-crawling. Depends on what your use is for the truck. Enjoy it! I love it as an overland platform.

And if you need any help, I've got a bit of know-how and a decent size garage. Send me a PM anytime.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
That's a great looking truck! The GX is a very cool platform that until recently was pretty much ignored here in the states. I'm very impressed with what they can do.

Nice rig!

mscuiletti

Observer
Thanks everyone for the kind words! I have been unable to make any more changes just yet, as I did have to get camping gear that isn't bolted to the truck. I picked up an REI Igneo sleeping bag, an Alps Mountaineering Infinity 5500 pack, and REI hang-time chair, and a bunch of other goodies. I will be looking into options of where to place my spare tire, either on the roof, in the rear of the truck, or possibly on a rear bumper. I may just toss it on the roof for now, but i also do occasionally use parking garages here, so a tire up there may prevent my parking. Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz