My first 4x4, a babied GX470.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
If it ain't broke, don't fix it ;)
Unless you're planning some heavy off-roading with steep inclines, the stock location won't hinder you one bit. Frees up your cargo room in the back, too!

mscuiletti

Observer
Great, i actually had not ordered the extra 265/70 yet, as I plan on replacing those wheels with a set of 5. I just haven't had the opportunity and was wanting to get my car for sale before spending much on the truck. That has not worked yet, haha. I am excited to get it to Manistee National Forest next week. I won't be doing anything extreme, but it will be my first time camping in a tent in close to 10 years. I am very excited!

Brian, if you ever want to grab a beer, I would love to pick your brain!

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Great, i actually had not ordered the extra 265/70 yet, as I plan on replacing those wheels with a set of 5. I just haven't had the opportunity and was wanting to get my car for sale before spending much on the truck. That has not worked yet, haha. I am excited to get it to Manistee National Forest next week. I won't be doing anything extreme, but it will be my first time camping in a tent in close to 10 years. I am very excited!

Brian, if you ever want to grab a beer, I would love to pick your brain!

There's not much up there, but I'd be glad to share :)
Looking forward to your trip report from Manistee. I love it up there.
The only other thing I can think of with the wheels / tires is to make sure you can fit a larger tire in the stock location under the cargo area (if you end up getting bigger tires).

mscuiletti

Observer
So turns out I misunderstood the plans and I did not go to Manistee this weekend, but to the Gaylord State Forest Area. It had been my first time camping in many many years. The sleeping bag worked out great, keeping me warm and dry. The weather was typical of a Michigan fall. We had sunshine, rain (lots of rain), sleet, and snow.

The truck was super comfortable on the drive there. We had sunshine and a beautiful day to start. I did some incredible novice off roading. By off road, I mean off asphalt. Really though, there were some ruts and steep (to me) inclines.
IMAG2426.jpg

Unloading my friend's gear
IMAG2432.jpg

IMAG2437.jpg

IMAG2439.jpg

IMAG2458.jpg

Time for a beer and to relax.
IMAG2446.jpg

The final morning, I woke to a collapsed tent and some snow. It was so calming and quiet. Rather than get a fire going for the others, I decided to explore and get coffee, and so I did.
IMAG2480.jpg

IMAG2488.jpg

I even did some trail cleanup, novice style. Don't laugh, we all start somewhere, haha.
IMAG2492.jpg

I stopped at Thumb Lake. I was very peaceful. Just a stunning view.
IMAG2496.jpg

mscuiletti

Observer
How's that Lexus doing?

Well I still haven't sold the Fiesta so having two car payments is definitely stifling progress. I did get around to replacing the wheels that came on the truck. Two had been leaking for quite some time, likely due to oxidation around the rim. They were cheap, but I think look much better. Hopefully they will last.
IMG_20160207_1059402.jpg

mscuiletti

Observer
Just that I listed the truck for sale, AND my car. I want to actually explore more, and modify the vehicle as needed, but am finding it difficult while making two car payments. The Fiesta dropped a couple thousand and still cannot sell. Ford had some incredible rebates allowing buyers to get a brand new Fiesta ST for 20k, 5k under msrp, making it damn difficult to get any interest at all on my 16k 2014. Frustrating. I figured if I could sell the GX, then I could trade the Fiesta in towards another lower mileage vehicle, such as a Tacoma. I had it listed for 12, which seems high considering all of the others available for under 10, but it has new wheels and newer tires, plus all maintenance, and only 107k on the odometer. Really love this truck though, so fingers crossed for selling the Fiesta.

IMG_20160802_175144.jpg

IMG_20160802_175154.jpg

IMG_20160802_174959.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior