Is my truck good?

punisher1130

Adventurer
A sas with ford axles would make for a simple reliable expo truck. Durango ifs is not very stout. For mpg and reliability you could remove the body lift and go down in tire size. This would reduce the strain on the drivetrain, and lessen the aerodynamic drag, 31"s would only cost you 1" of clearance.

Couple of people have said that on the Dakota forum, problem is finding the axles from a 78 ford is next to impossible here and the ones that can be found are pricey. I wont be able to do anything about the body lift or tires till after the sas but wouldn't a smaller tire size cause clearance issues on the trails?

4x4junkie

Explorer
Here's my thoughts:
If you have any ability at all to build & fabricate things, definitely keep your Dakota (especially if it's reliable, in good shape, and suits your needs). You'd be surprised how many things not available in the aftermarket can easily be built at home with a welder, grinder, etc. maybe along with some carpentry tools (things like bumpers, tire carriers, racks, storage/sleep platforms, etc., or even simply brackets that will adapt an existing item made for another application to yours). A Dakota is yet another one of those (I suspect quite very capable) vehicles which you don't always see over & over & over & over again when out and about on the trail, so you'll also have something a little more unique to call your own.

Whatever the case, I do agree with those saying to take it out camping and go have some fun with it first. At the very minimum this will give you some idea of what you really do need, and what you thought you needed, but in all actuality, don't.

verdesardog

Explorer
I had a 1998 Dakota 4x4 v6 5spd. Twisted the torsion bars up front and put blocks in the rear. Purchased new, sold it with 270,ooo miles on the odometer because it just wasn't enough truck for me. It was fine until I got involved in Search and Rescue, the county paid for a new driveshaft once due to damage on a search. It did have the factory limited slip diff. in the rear. Other than the small lift it was completely stock.

I replaced it with an 06 Ram2500 with a Cummins, I get the same fuel mileage with the new truck as the Dakota!

So just drive your truck till you get sick and tired of it, it will probably take you just about any place you WANT to go....

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Yeah total cost of ownership is the bottom line. Sounds like it's paid for and reliable. Certainly cheap to register and insure at this pt.

punisher1130

Adventurer
Here's my thoughts:
If you have any ability at all to build & fabricate things, definitely keep your Dakota (especially if it's reliable, in good shape, and suits your needs). You'd be surprised how many things not available in the aftermarket can easily be built at home with a welder, grinder, etc. maybe along with some carpentry tools (things like bumpers, tire carriers, racks, storage/sleep platforms, etc., or even simply brackets that will adapt an existing item made for another application to yours). A Dakota is yet another one of those (I suspect quite very capable) vehicles which you don't always see over & over & over & over again when out and about on the trail, so you'll also have something a little more unique to call your own.

Whatever the case, I do agree with those saying to take it out camping and go have some fun with it first. At the very minimum this will give you some idea of what you really do need, and what you thought you needed, but in all actuality, don't.

I agree and that was my plan for the truck when i got it but as I did research I found there isn't much info for these trucks off rod anything so i thought id throw it out there and make sure first, ive only seen 3 Dakotas that were built but that was bout it. As for fabrication goes, about the only thing im not able to do is welding and being the truck is my daily its a safer bet to have a shop do it for me.

punisher1130

Adventurer
I had a 1998 Dakota 4x4 v6 5spd. Twisted the torsion bars up front and put blocks in the rear. Purchased new, sold it with 270,ooo miles on the odometer because it just wasn't enough truck for me. It was fine until I got involved in Search and Rescue, the county paid for a new driveshaft once due to damage on a search. It did have the factory limited slip diff. in the rear. Other than the small lift it was completely stock.

I replaced it with an 06 Ram2500 with a Cummins, I get the same fuel mileage with the new truck as the Dakota!

So just drive your truck till you get sick and tired of it, it will probably take you just about any place you WANT to go....

sounds like u got plenty of use from it, and I thank you for your services and the search and rescue.

punisher1130

Adventurer
Yeah total cost of ownership is the bottom line. Sounds like it's paid for and reliable. Certainly cheap to register and insure at this pt.

that's where things get tricky, I hate ifs systems for many reasons and I'm wanting to look into how to get further reach out of my 22g tank, I even thought of changing the motor to a chevy 5.3, but not 100% on that one may just look into trying to build my motor to match or et close to the chevys low end torque and efficiency, also looking into 4.10 gears front and rear since I have 33s.

Last edited:

underdrive

jackwagon
This is gonna be a long one, but you had multiple questions:

You said 33" tires, but how wide? I'm a very big fan of the tall and skinny 235/85-16 size, you get the benefit of increased ground clearance without any of the downsides associated with the wide contact patch most flotation tires suffer from (high rolling resistance and therefore lousy mpg, higher tendency to hydroplane when used in a light vehicle). Be aware that the load range E tires in that size are stupid-strong (you won't believe the stuff we've run over with our diesel), but they are also very stiff and in a light truck like yours would probably make you feel every bump on the road. They also don't air down too well, especially in a light truck, the sidewalls are very thick and will keep the tire from laying flat even when the air inside it doesn't. My suggestion would be to ditch whatever 33" tires you have now and switch to some nice all-terrain 235/85-16 tires, in load range D if possible.

I probably missed this piece of info, but what transmission do you have now? Dodge has never been know for the reliability of their OD automatics - if you have a stick-shift you're doing alright, if not start researching into what's involved in getting one.

As far as gears go, 3.55s should be plenty for your truck even with 32"-33" tall tires, if you had the V6 then 4.10s would possibly help reduce strain on the engine, but that 318 V8 is pretty much laughing at the tires as is. Many halfton and larger trucks were set up with that exact engine/gears/tires combo, and they are much heavier than what you're working with and they still do alright. The reality is that the main reason for your poor fuel economy is probably the engine itself - Dodge V8s tend to be gas hogs, yeah you get all sorts of good power out of them but they suck pretty hard from the fuel tank regardless of whether you work them or not. A 4.10 gear swap while more offroad-friendly will also make the engine spin faster on the interstate, so you may actually end up using more fuel to get to where you wanna play.

An engine swap to a GM 5.3 wouldn't make sense financially, you'd have to change a whole bunch of other stuff to go with that and that's most likely gonna take the kind of money that you can instead keep putting in your gas tank and still drive all over the place with your current engine and have some fun while at it. Plus you'll end up with something so custom that some repair shops won't know what to do with it should it give you trouble away from home.

Regarding axles, factory is alright for what it was designed to do - if you start pushing the truck like it's a 1-ton then yes, you'll need the 1-ton running gear to go with that. Situation gets even trickier if you regear to 4.10s - it is then that much easier for the engine to break the axle shafts. Point is, with 32" or so tires, and truck doing what it was meant to do (as opposed to attempting to climb vertical walls or pull a triple-axle equipment hauler with a dozer on it), your axles should last you fine.

So yes, if you wanna play hard then go ahead and grab a Blazer, roll the 1-ton axles under it, drop a 5.3 under the hood, doubler it, and Bob's your uncle. But she will be heavy and wide and likely tall, meaning she won't very easily fit in some place the Dakota can. May not be a concern at all, or it may be a big one, only you can make that call. But personally I think you already have a good setup for all-around exploring and general truck use. May wanna consider having a shop build you front trailer hitch, and then look into a winch on a portable mount - permanently run heavy-gauge cables to front and rear bumpers, but keep the winch at home during the week, then throw it in a tool box in the bed when you're headed out for the weekend, and drive around like it's not there at all but know that should you accidentally get in bind it may provide you with a way out. Definitely don't fall for the Mad Max cow-catcher bumpers, anything built like it's going on a 1-ton truck so it can be driven thru concrete walls is gonna be way too heavy for your Dakota - instead take a look at what the Toyota crowd are doing, they got some really nice lightweight yet strong designs, find something you like than have someone local who understands the concept build you one like that. Install a good electric air compressor with an aluminum tank - if you can stash the compressor in the cab somewhere that will be great for its longevity, shove the air tank wherever you find space for it. Use the on-board air for general purposes and also to power a front ARB locker if one is available for your truck, rear ARB is IMHO an expense that is hard to justify when factory limited slips seem to work well enough. This all should make your truck quite a bit more capable and fun to drive while still keeping it reliable and simple enough to fix.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Dodge v8 where never known for mileage but they last. I am usually the odd man out hear. I love dakota and Durango the size to power is great the cost is amazing for what you get. Yes the ifs sucks I don't care what brand it is they just don't hold up. Many hear are worried about how it looks or can I buy this.

First off dose it work. My wife and I take very little on long trips I don't care that my 8800 pound truck has a small gas motor in it that many say has issues. It works for us on over night trips and 15 day trips.

Second you live in Florida that means sand sand means wide tires 90% of the time. The build for a truck can be area specific I went from Montana to the Washington coast different things are needed from the same truck.

Third
USE what you have and make it work for you It is almost always better than a new truck and the must have bolt on. The only thing that is required for adventure is the courage to put the computer down and go out side.

indecisivebrad

The trick with working on a less mainstream vehicle like a Dakota is that you need to do more legwork and more research before diving into a project. You won't find any great write-ups in a magazine to walk you through it like you would a Jeep build. If you know what your exact plans are then you can generally find whatever you may need and slap it on your truck pretty easily. Remember that many of the write-ups for building up a Ram or Cherokee drivetrain will apply to your Dakota too.

As for mpg's, make sure you don't have a leaky plenum gasket. That'll hurt your engines performance quite a bit and most dodge owners don't even know it's a common problem. If the engine itself is nice and healthy then reduce the tire size for street use. Save the big boy tires for off road adventures. It's not uncommon for a dual purpose rig to have multiple configurations instead of a one size fits all setup.

If you start aching for big boy bumpers then check out this place
http://tacticalarmorgroup.com/TAG-Bumper-Store/1997-2004
just be careful with the options because the price skyrockets quick

punisher1130

Adventurer
This is gonna be a long one, but you had multiple questions:

You said 33" tires, but how wide? I'm a very big fan of the tall and skinny 235/85-16 size, you get the benefit of increased ground clearance without any of the downsides associated with the wide contact patch most flotation tires suffer from (high rolling resistance and therefore lousy mpg, higher tendency to hydroplane when used in a light vehicle). Be aware that the load range E tires in that size are stupid-strong (you won't believe the stuff we've run over with our diesel), but they are also very stiff and in a light truck like yours would probably make you feel every bump on the road. They also don't air down too well, especially in a light truck, the sidewalls are very thick and will keep the tire from laying flat even when the air inside it doesn't. My suggestion would be to ditch whatever 33" tires you have now and switch to some nice all-terrain 235/85-16 tires, in load range D if possible.

I probably missed this piece of info, but what transmission do you have now? Dodge has never been know for the reliability of their OD automatics - if you have a stick-shift you're doing alright, if not start researching into what's involved in getting one.

As far as gears go, 3.55s should be plenty for your truck even with 32"-33" tall tires, if you had the V6 then 4.10s would possibly help reduce strain on the engine, but that 318 V8 is pretty much laughing at the tires as is. Many halfton and larger trucks were set up with that exact engine/gears/tires combo, and they are much heavier than what you're working with and they still do alright. The reality is that the main reason for your poor fuel economy is probably the engine itself - Dodge V8s tend to be gas hogs, yeah you get all sorts of good power out of them but they suck pretty hard from the fuel tank regardless of whether you work them or not. A 4.10 gear swap while more offroad-friendly will also make the engine spin faster on the interstate, so you may actually end up using more fuel to get to where you wanna play.

An engine swap to a GM 5.3 wouldn't make sense financially, you'd have to change a whole bunch of other stuff to go with that and that's most likely gonna take the kind of money that you can instead keep putting in your gas tank and still drive all over the place with your current engine and have some fun while at it. Plus you'll end up with something so custom that some repair shops won't know what to do with it should it give you trouble away from home.

Regarding axles, factory is alright for what it was designed to do - if you start pushing the truck like it's a 1-ton then yes, you'll need the 1-ton running gear to go with that. Situation gets even trickier if you regear to 4.10s - it is then that much easier for the engine to break the axle shafts. Point is, with 32" or so tires, and truck doing what it was meant to do (as opposed to attempting to climb vertical walls or pull a triple-axle equipment hauler with a dozer on it), your axles should last you fine.

So yes, if you wanna play hard then go ahead and grab a Blazer, roll the 1-ton axles under it, drop a 5.3 under the hood, doubler it, and Bob's your uncle. But she will be heavy and wide and likely tall, meaning she won't very easily fit in some place the Dakota can. May not be a concern at all, or it may be a big one, only you can make that call. But personally I think you already have a good setup for all-around exploring and general truck use. May wanna consider having a shop build you front trailer hitch, and then look into a winch on a portable mount - permanently run heavy-gauge cables to front and rear bumpers, but keep the winch at home during the week, then throw it in a tool box in the bed when you're headed out for the weekend, and drive around like it's not there at all but know that should you accidentally get in bind it may provide you with a way out. Definitely don't fall for the Mad Max cow-catcher bumpers, anything built like it's going on a 1-ton truck so it can be driven thru concrete walls is gonna be way too heavy for your Dakota - instead take a look at what the Toyota crowd are doing, they got some really nice lightweight yet strong designs, find something you like than have someone local who understands the concept build you one like that. Install a good electric air compressor with an aluminum tank - if you can stash the compressor in the cab somewhere that will be great for its longevity, shove the air tank wherever you find space for it. Use the on-board air for general purposes and also to power a front ARB locker if one is available for your truck, rear ARB is IMHO an expense that is hard to justify when factory limited slips seem to work well enough. This all should make your truck quite a bit more capable and fun to drive while still keeping it reliable and simple enough to fix.

sorry never crossed my mind on those lol. the tires are 33x12.50 good year wranglers with Kevlar and a C load rating. the transmission is the OD auto and so far hasn't given me any trouble. I don't know what the rear end really is I'm only guessing its stock since there is no hint of it being swapped out but as for axle swaps I only plan on using dana 44, they are lightweight compared to the 60's and can be enforced to be just as strong. For bumpers I'm not looking for anything crazy and u suggesting something I was already looking into, basically I'm looking for something lightweight but can take a good hard hit without much damage and with the front hitch, I have always liked the idea of not having to carry the winch around when not wheeling. being that the body is lifted 3in I got plenty of room to put all the onboard air equipment under the cab and bed so I have n o worries on that part and I do plan on using arb lockers on the dana 44s ( I'm a stickler with the axles, I hate ifs systems).

punisher1130

Adventurer
The trick with working on a less mainstream vehicle like a Dakota is that you need to do more legwork and more research before diving into a project. You won't find any great write-ups in a magazine to walk you through it like you would a Jeep build. If you know what your exact plans are then you can generally find whatever you may need and slap it on your truck pretty easily. Remember that many of the write-ups for building up a Ram or Cherokee drivetrain will apply to your Dakota too.

As for mpg's, make sure you don't have a leaky plenum gasket. That'll hurt your engines performance quite a bit and most dodge owners don't even know it's a common problem. If the engine itself is nice and healthy then reduce the tire size for street use. Save the big boy tires for off road adventures. It's not uncommon for a dual purpose rig to have multiple configurations instead of a one size fits all setup.

If you start aching for big boy bumpers then check out this place
http://tacticalarmorgroup.com/TAG-Bumper-Store/1997-2004
just be careful with the options because the price skyrockets quick

I don't mind doing legwork and taking the unbeaten path so to speak, I'm not typically one to be a follower but being a gear head I know full well how expensive building a vehicle can be and just wanted to make sure I'm not in over my head or putting money into a rig that no one build for a reason since the 3 other Dakotas I've seen built never had a review on how it performed off road, just what was done. Terrain wise I don't see my self crossing the Dixie line any time soon so ill remain south bound but i don't plan on staying in just Florida, I do plan on going up to the Georgia mountains and other southern states so could say I'm just trying to find a happy medium for terrains. I will have to look into the Cherokee write ups on the tranny though, that may give me a heads up on what I have to look out for or need to address before doing anything heavy. I have already replaced the plenum gasket on the truck since it was shot when I bought it so I don't have that issue but I want to look into a aftermarket intake because it was a pain to change that gasket and I really don't want to do it again lol. I have kicked around the idea of getting another set of street tires since the tires I have on it now runs $1100 and that hurts more than the mpg. I have looked at tactical for bumpers before but I think I can have a version of ranch hands ram bumpers made up for the Dakota with a fraction of the weight, that is my only concern with them.

indecisivebrad

Sounds like you already have a plan. Remember that most of the trail rigs you see and hear about are ones that have very few stock parts left. For a budget build that sees mostly street duty you're already basically done. As far as switching to a different truck just remember a few key things. If you were to do the exact same mods to a K5 Blazer that you already did to your Dakota you'd be about even off road, but you'd actually be worse off when street driving thanks to the truck like ride and horrible aerodynamics. If you went to a Jeep you'd be running the same trans as your current rig which is the issue most jeep folks end up addressing. The GM folks with the 4l60e have similar concerns so that wouldn't be an easy way out. The Ford folks aren't in any better shape either when it comes to their trans.

My vote is keep it and enjoy it. If you find it has a limit then either work within that limit or figure out how to get around it. If the limit is something you love and you can't get around it in your current rig then figure out a different rig to suit your new plans. Maybe someday you'll end up like me and be out shopping for a 1 ton van after years of saying it'll never happen lol

Vandy

Adventurer
I say keep the Dakota. Beside the cost of a new rig,learning all the querks, and still spending money to mod it. You seem to be a step ahead on the current ride. Personally I think the Dakota/durango are cool little packages. Midsized with a full size motor.

I haven't spent a lot of time in Florida, but other than mud/bogs your rig should br pretty capable how it sits. I've had a few vehicles that absolutely shocked me in stock form.

I'm in your boat though so I feel your pain. I bought a 99 Durango off a buddy of mine. Worse case will be a sas, then if I get crazy down the road maybe a 4bt and a manual trans. But for now the 5.9 auto and ifs will work till they break.

I've found a few pretty cool front/rear bumpers for them also. I'll post pics here in a few when work slows down .

Keep the dak, don't be a jeep guy lol

Check out blue lake offroad. They make a pretty cool front and rear bumper setup

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior